Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: Wales
id needed
    #3264051 - 10/22/04 11:24 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

hello everybody. i found some mushrooms yesterday while picking libs. i took photos but i dont know how to attach them. i will try to work it out. until i looked on the net i had no idea about other shrooms around. the reason they caught my eye is because of the colour, the stems and much of the caps were blue, a bright, a slightly greeny blue. it had been raining heavily and I thought they might be bruised from the rain. they bruised more on handling. are there any nonactive mushrooms that briuse blue? i thought they may be cubes but ive read they only grow in cow fields. Ive tried my best to describe them below.

a. Habitat - in groups on sheep grazing land in Wales
b. Characteristics of the gills - pale (lilacy)grey when young, deepening to greyish purplish chocolate colour with age. free. close
c. Measurements of cap and stem - cap up to 6cm, stem up to 0.5cm
d. Characteristics of the stem - white and blue, hollow, brown ring, slightly thicker at base
e. Characteristics of the cap - golden (deep in older, pale in younger) at nipple fading to cream, some have blue around edge. sticky. smooth. bell shaped when young, flattening out with age. umbonate, less pronounced with age. incurved margin when young.
f. Spore print color - chocolate brown
g. Color that the mushroom bruises - very blue
h. Scent of mushroom - um?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: id needed [Re: Looking_in]
    #3264542 - 10/22/04 02:06 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

That sounds like an active Psilocybe, but I think ID to species will require a picture.

irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: id needed [Re: shroomydan]
    #3264580 - 10/22/04 02:16 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

i concurr; the description sounds dead on for Psilocybe; everything but your dimentions. could you verify those?

from the expansion in mature specimens [and the size you report] we can conclude that they are not P. semilanceata.

try to get those pictures and we'll keep trying to get an id for you.

chat.freenode.net #mycology

Loc: Wales
Re: id needed [Re: canid]
    #3264852 - 10/22/04 03:36 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

thanks. the dimentions are right. cap up to about 6cm wide, stem up to about 0.5cm wide, about 5cm long. i've been doing some research and i wonder if they could be stropharia aeruginosa, they were already quite blue before i handled them, but some of the characteristics arnt quite right. i'll have to get someoneelse to sort out the pics over the weekend.
and yes, i know they're not libs! as always the welsh mountains have been very generous with their supply of these little beauties this year. oh how i love this time of year!!! happy hunting all

I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification