Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinediscman1
journeyman
So, I have 3cc of spore solution left and 14 jars to inoculate...
    #3263736 - 10/22/04 06:35 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I should say 3cc each of Ecuador and Cambodian.. so 6cc total.

I have 6 1/2 pints, 4 quarts and a pint of PBS(Parakeet birdseed; 90% millet), 1 1/2 pints of my experimental 10 grain cereal substrate and 2 bread pan casings brewing right now.

Should I:

A) Inoculate each (tall style) 1/2 pint in a single place(the center?) using less than 1/2cc each, and take the colonization time hit

B) Try my hand at karo and make 2 jars of each strain, and wait until I can inoculate with liquid mycelium

C) Both; inoculate some jars and try to make some karo jars.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSCIOpenEyedDream
DillusionalDreamer

Loc: Western Europe
Re: So, I have 3cc of spore solution left and 14 jars to inoculate... [Re: discman1]
    #3263741 - 10/22/04 06:45 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

B. Lot more jars. Each karo jar will make more syringes then you can inoc each jar with a shitload of liquid myc, get faster growth, and do many more jars. Just my opinion :smile:

--------------------
Everything I say on this board is a lie.

Eat more string cheese. It's good for you.

Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
Re: So, I have 3cc of spore solution left and 14 jars to inoculate... [Re: SCIOpenEyedDream]
    #3263742 - 10/22/04 06:46 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

^^^^ i agree :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: So, I have 3cc of spore solution left and 14 jars to inoculate... [Re: aussieone]
    #3263745 - 10/22/04 06:55 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Can someone point me to a popular, comprehensive karo tek? It sounds like the best thing since spore syringes themselves. :wink:

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: So, I have 3cc of spore solution left and 14 jars to inoculate... [Re: discman1]
    #3263756 - 10/22/04 07:14 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: So, I have 3cc of spore solution left and 14 jars to inoculate... [Re: socratesmind]
    #3263758 - 10/22/04 07:20 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

socratesmind said:
BAM....

http://archives.thenook.org/3462.html

found from this...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=karo+tek&btnG=Google+Search

Yeah, that's the only one I know of, but I don't have a glovebox, so opening the jars to inoculate is out of the question.

Hmmm.......

I could put a hole in jar lid, put Tyvek over the lid and screw the band down, cover with foil, PC.. and then just inject through the Tyvek, through the hole in the lid.. and then seal the hole in the Tyvek with tape, recovering with foil.

I just wouldn't be able to shake the jars vigorously, I'd have to use a needle to break up the mycelium...

I guess that's what I'll try, unless someone can give some better ideas.

The only problem I can see with this is that if I want to use the jars over and over again, each time I take that foil off greatly increases the risk of contams, since the needle will be pushing through the Tyvek each time. I guess that's just a risk I'll have to take.. It's probably less than opening the jars to inoculate/withdraw mycelium without a glovebox.

By the way, for anyone thats wondering..

1/3rd cup + 1 tablespoon + 1 1/4 teaspoon = 100ml

well, 99.81ml .. close enough. :wink:

Edited by discman1 (10/22/04 07:25 AM)

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
    #3263764 - 10/22/04 07:36 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Here's a great Karo tek using regular tupperware and a microwave.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2321056/page//fpart/1/vc/1

OfflineChinaBoy
Stranger
Re: So, I have 3cc of spore solution left and 14 jars to inoculate... [Re: MoneyAddyct]
    #3264037 - 10/22/04 11:19 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Just use a honey tek. PC honey water for a half an hour, then innoc the honey water. Wait a couple of days and then you will have liquid culture. Check the cultivation guides for a better description, but thats the jist. I just did a honey tek and am pleased. I was in your same predicament.

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
Re: So, I have 3cc of spore solution left and 14 jars to inoculate... [Re: ChinaBoy]
    #3264165 - 10/22/04 12:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

SCREW all that action!!!!

THIS is what you need:

1/2 pt jar (with lid attachments, ONE hole punched in middle of top disc for syringe) filled with water + a few extra Tbsp. of water
1 1/2-2 tsp Karo light corn syrup
Saran wrap
1 pot for boiling water.
1 piece of tape

Fill your 1/2 pint full of water, and throw that into the pot along with a few extra Table. for what steams off.  Spoon your Karo into your 1/2 pint jar, put in your sink in a steady position with lid and saran wrap close by.  As soon as your water is boiled, pour it into your 1/2 pint and then, quickly... put the saran wrap on top.. then the lid.. .screw er' in TIGHT.  Put on your piece of tape (making sure lid is dry). ... and SHAKE that fucker!!! Bam!!!!!!!!!! Sterile Karo solution.  Now wait about 12 hours for that lil' guy to cool down, take off your tape and (making sure your needle has passed the saran wrap) squirt squirt about 1cc of solution in each jar you plan to make.  Keep in incubator.  You should see growth in 3-5 days in a form of small white specks at first, then a big white glob that looks like you spit in the jar.  Shake the jar around at least once every day while inspecting.

Works perfectly for me. 

Sammy :thumbup:

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3264178 - 10/22/04 12:09 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hum............Me I would do choice A or C depending on your needs and schedule

Karo tek is a good choice but, my first attempt was a failure. I got big clumps of myc all right and after incolulating my jars I got 80% contaims. Now I admit I screwed up. But I only had a small amount of spores. So I was set back several weeks.

I have since then made many batches of Karo with very good results.

The is very good avantage to using a very small amount of spores in a jar. You get a jar full of very ropy myc. It takes longer but I noticed very nice flushes.

Of course I haven't done a half pint jar in along time.  But I thought you might like to here my experience when I was in your postion :grin:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Offlinewyoshroomr
Mycovore
 User Gallery

Re: So, I have 3cc of spore solution left and 14 jars to inoculate... [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3264261 - 10/22/04 12:38 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Wow, great thread! I have a partial syringe of B+ left that I'll give a try with this weekend!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation