Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinediscman1
journeyman
I have a single, solitary pin.... EDIT: You guys were right! ;)
    #3263057 - 10/21/04 11:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

As the title says, after 9 days, I have a single solitary pin, right in the middle of my a cake on the top. Damn, I wonder what I'm doing wrong. How depressing. :frown: I suppose I could look at it as a positive thing.. maybe it's a sign of things to come? lol..

Temp is 73.6?F, humidity is 99% and I've been spraying them gently once or twice a day and fanning every ~6 hours.  Not really sure what else to do. :frown:

Edit: You guys were right, it was just an early pin.. I can see lots now! :smile: I'll get pics later.

Edited by discman1 (10/23/04 08:25 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekraj
Stranger
Re: I have a single, solitary pin.... and I think it's going to be an abort. :( [Re: discman1]
    #3263065 - 10/21/04 11:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Did you dunk/cold shock/roll ?

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: I have a single, solitary pin.... and I think it's going to be an abort. :( [Re: kraj]
    #3263071 - 10/21/04 11:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, I did.

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: I have a single, solitary pin.... and I think it's going to be an abort. :( [Re: discman1]
    #3263146 - 10/21/04 11:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I dunno, maybe it isn't going to abort. It looks pretty alive, upon second glance.

Here are a couple of pics.

Offlinekraj
Stranger
    #3263162 - 10/21/04 11:36 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

That humidity would be high for a casing, which it appears to be.

Offlinedistortion
 User Gallery
Loc: Murder Mitten Flag
    #3263169 - 10/21/04 11:38 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

that's a perplexing dilemma you've got there, considering the conditions sound perfect for fruiting. I can't tell if it's a cake sitting in a pan or if it's a casing. the only thing I could think of is did you possibly roll the cake when the cake was on the verge of fruiting and killed the pins that were almost ready to pop through the surface of the myc? dunno what else to tell you man, better luck next flush :thumbup:

--------------------
Think for Yourself. Question Authority.

-Timothy Leary

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I have a single, solitary pin.... and I think it's going to be an abort. :( [Re: kraj]
    #3263170 - 10/21/04 11:39 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

That looks like a casing and if so, you could have used something better to case with. That would help. Probably an early bloomer, not an abort though. More pins will probably be a few days behind it. Thats the kind of results you get with inferior casing's and no patching..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3263174 - 10/21/04 11:39 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

kraj said:
That humidity would be high for a casing, which it appears to be.

Appearances can be not what they seem.. :wink: I love my camera.. lol

It's just a cake. When I birthed, I scraped all the lose vermiculite off the top, but just left what was stuck.. and put that side up.

Edited by discman1 (10/22/04 12:59 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3263213 - 10/21/04 11:50 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Well I still say early pin, more will come.

I change what I said to, that's what happens when you use cakes instead of casings :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: I have a single, solitary pin.... and I think it's going to be an abort. :( [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3263217 - 10/21/04 11:51 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Actually I should add that I hope your giving them at least 12 hours of light per day. Less is enough to make them pin but for a really nice pinset, you need more light.

--------------------

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: I have a single, solitary pin.... and I think it's going to be an abort. :( [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3263224 - 10/21/04 11:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Well I still say early pin, more will come.

I change what I said to, that's what happens when you use cakes instead of casings :smile:

I sure hope so!

I made a couple of casings with some Ecuador jars using 60/40 verm/coir. Just put them in the incubator last night... so we'll see how those go.

Is there any way to tell if you're spraying too much or too little? Should the cake always be glistening(until pins)?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3263231 - 10/21/04 11:55 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Not saturated, but glistening always..even with pins and mushrooms :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
Re: I have a single, solitary pin.... and I think it's going to be an abort.. :( or maybe not.. *pics* [Re: discman1]
    #3263268 - 10/22/04 12:07 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

S. is experiencing pin limbo for grow #1 as well. Slower and more suspenseful than the goddamn Presidential election. Some questions from another new one:

- Are you sure about the temperature and humidity? (Proper equipment, calibrated)

- Have the temperature and/or humidity fluctuated significantly since birth?

- (Out of curiosity) which strain is it?

- What is your light source?

- Aren't those tiny white dots hyphal knots?

Also, I've heard that it's best not to spray the cakes directly, as the mycelium can be damaged by water droplets of a certain size. (Don't hold me to that)

Please keep us posted.

Edited by Land_Crab (10/22/04 12:13 AM)

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: I have a single, solitary pin.... and I think it's going to be an abort.. :( or maybe not.. *pics* [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3263282 - 10/22/04 12:16 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Land_Crab said:
S. is experiencing pin limbo for grow #1 as well. Slower and more suspenseful than the goddamn Presidential election. Some questions from another new one:

- Are you sure about the temperature and humidity? (Proper equipment, calibrated)

- Have the temperature and/or humidity fluctuated significantly since birth?

- (Out of curiosity) which strain is it?

- What is your light source?

Please keep us posted.

Pretty damn sure about the temp and humidity. It's a Caliber II digital hygrometer.. supposed to be quite accurate, which I verified with the Salt test when I got it. The temp reads the same as two other thermometers I have(one analog and one digital), so I'm sure it's accurate too.

The humidity hasn't fluctuated, but the temperature has a bit. Went through a period a few days ago where it was about 66-68?F. I just got a heating pad, and that has stabilized my temps at ~73-75?F.

The only one I see with a pin is a Cambodian cake, but I have both Ecuador and Cambodian in there.

My light source is a 10W aquarium compact fluorescent:

It is inside the tub, but pointing away from the cakes. They only recieve indirect light from it. It's on a 12 hour on/off cycle.

I also have a 160 liter per hour air pump bubbling away, but it seems that the perlite has become compacted, it doesen't seem to flow much air.. that's why I've been fanning.

OfflineBioSore
Drunken' Irish
Re: I have a single, solitary pin.... and I think it's going to be an abort.. :( or maybe not.. *pic [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3263304 - 10/22/04 12:26 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, I was just going through the same thing.  One showed up two days before the rest, so I wouldn't worry.  They're giving me a nice pinset now.  :smile:

--------------------
If you dont like my fire, then dont come around, cause' I'm gonna burn one down.

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: I have a single, solitary pin.... and I think it's going to be an abort.. :( or maybe not.. *pics* [Re: discman1]
    #3263352 - 10/22/04 12:46 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Well, everything seems fine (though you should dig out and loosen up the perlite above your bubbler - S. had the same problem with perlite).

So what other variables are there... barring witchcraft, time is the only one I can think of now.  Those tiny white dots in your first 2 pics look like hyphal knots/primordia.  (I think that's good)

http://shroomery.org/index/the/default/par/23299

It could just be a matter of time.  My irish homie could be right.  Maybe give it another full week, and then start breaking shit.  :mad2:  (That is S.'s gameplan)

- J.

Edited by Land_Crab (10/22/04 12:48 AM)

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: I have a single, solitary pin.... and I think it's going to be an abort.. :( or maybe not.. *pic [Re: BioSore]
    #3263354 - 10/22/04 12:47 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the encouragement, BioSore! :smile:

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: I have a single, solitary pin.... and I think it's going to be an abort.. :( or maybe not.. *pic [Re: discman1]
    #3263358 - 10/22/04 12:51 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Gosh, I forgot to ask how long that pin has been there.  If it was just born, this could be much ado about nothing!

I'm so embarrassed.  :blush:

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: I have a single, solitary pin.... and I think it's going to be an abort.. :( or maybe not.. *pic [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3263366 - 10/22/04 12:56 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Land_Crab said:
Gosh, I forgot to ask how long that pin has been there.  If it was just born, this could be much ado about nothing!

I'm so embarrassed.  :blush:

I just noticed it a few hours ago, so probably not longer than 24hrs. I hope I'm just being a worry wart, lol. This is my first time, obviously. :blush:

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Actually I should add that I hope your giving them at least 12 hours of light per day. Less is enough to make them pin but for a really nice pinset, you need more light.

Yeah, they're on a 12/12 schedule now. For the last week or so, the light had been on 24 hours, because it was my heat source, but it suddenly got cold here, so it was no longer enough. I picked up a 55W heating pad for 3$ and a timer for 2$ at a thrift store the other day.

So, I'm hoping things are actually looking golden, and not grim. :wink:

InvisibleAhronZombi
AhronZombi

#3263384 - 10/22/04 01:08 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i havent had this in cakes but in caseing ive had one pin before and was worried but it became a giant mutant that grew so big it too up almost the whole bowl it was in

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract