Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepenlight438094
1 spliff 16.1g +1 man alone =Blitzed!

BIG!!! experiment
    #3262346 - 10/21/04 08:51 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ok i am planning to use approx 6 pounds of white popcorn to make one giant rubbermade casing, i've got everyting down up to the casing.

my question is what should i do to make a casing this large, how thick the substrate layer, the top layer, what materials, what else??
I would just like as much advise as possible for a nice high yeild

--------------------
Grown on Uncle Ben's 5 Minute Rice
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAmygdala
Learner

Re: BIG!!! experiment [Re: penlight438094]
    #3262364 - 10/21/04 08:54 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

With that amount of spawn I would look into bulk, its much more sensible for very large casings, take your popcorn and spawn it to straw\poo...

--------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BIG!!! experiment [Re: Amygdala]
    #3262595 - 10/21/04 09:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

That's about 10-12 quarts of WBS probably (is of rye anyway). Take it from me and don't make it one big casing. Do NOT exceed 2 inches for the depth or you'll be wasting the substrate. Casing layer should be about 3/4 of an inch. Don't worry about the bottom.

Make multiple casings with it..feel free to make them large length by width wise..I've found this does best..however over 2 inches is a waste IME. Unless your talking straw/poo but thats a whole different beast. Trust me, I've tried it all..

Or dont take my word for it -shrug-

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: BIG!!! experiment [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3262635 - 10/21/04 09:38 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL 5 to you!!

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: BIG!!! experiment [Re: TODAY]
    #3262747 - 10/21/04 09:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Pictures speak thousands of words.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineInnernaut
MycologicalNetworkTechnician

Re: BIG!!! experiment [Re: TODAY]
    #3262785 - 10/21/04 10:07 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I agree 100% wih scatmanrav...  In the past a "friend" made a casing with 10 quarts of millet in a sterile kitty litter tray... The results were nice, but I have absolutely no doubt that a higher yield could have been obtained by increasing surface area via more casings.  Another bad side to making such a beast of a casing is that if any little bit of contamination sets in the project will go downhill very fast. Big casings put all your eggs in one basket... I made a growlog about a year ago on this big casing... Here is the link:

Innernaut - Blowin up GT's on White Millet

I will say that the casing was relatively successful, but would have yielded much more as smaller casings... Good luck :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleOpera

#3262817 - 10/21/04 10:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

hey scatmanrav, in your first picture, what is that black piece? is that off a fan or something? i'm just curious.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: BIG!!! experiment [Re: Opera]
    #3262825 - 10/21/04 10:15 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Dehydrator trays. Despite rumors against using heat, no one has ever noticed when I switch from fan drying with desiccant to low heat drying.

--------------------

Offlinerezzan1
Namumsawitch
 User Gallery

#3262860 - 10/21/04 10:23 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Take it from me and don't make it one big casing. Do NOT exceed 2 inches for the depth or you'll be wasting the substrate.

So in your expierance a depth of over 2" with grains is waste of substrate? And all of the above pics are grains with 2" or less substrate. Very impressive! I was under the impression that anything up to a 4" of substrate was acceptable or is that only concerning staw and poo?

Well anyways thanks for the information.

OfflineInnernaut
MycologicalNetworkTechnician

Re: BIG!!! experiment [Re: rezzan1]
    #3262901 - 10/21/04 10:31 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

the deeper the substrate the larger the fruits and the more possible flushes... but the more surface area you have, the more total fruits, though smaller... it works out that you yield more weight from the same amount of substrate, more quickly, if you make 1.5-2.0 inch substrate depth.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3262907 - 10/21/04 10:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

No, everything above wasnt less then 2 inches.

Those containers and the flush of shrooms in the black rubbermaid were not.

Substrate was about 4 inches thick in these flushes. I've used anywhere from 1/8th of an inch this substrate to 6 inches. All rye. The four casings in the top of this post are all straw and thicker though. The only straw I've done (besides another black rubbermaid not pictured, looks the same), everything else I've done is rye. 1.5-2 inch this substrate has been the best for maximum yeild. Running large casings with the small casings, it took about 4-5 quarts of rye cased 2 inches thick to produce the same as 7 1/2 quarts of rye cased 4 inches thick. The ratio gets smaller as you go thicker as well. It gives you bigger shrooms but not much bigger and fewer.

--------------------

Offlinerezzan1
Namumsawitch
 User Gallery

#3262949 - 10/21/04 10:41 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Right on! Information on these boards just pop up exactly when homie needs it to. Kind of funny how that happens.

Offlinepenlight438094

#3264989 - 10/22/04 03:48 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

couldn't i just put down a moist layer of perlite, cover it with a substrate layer and put it in the dark for the mycelium to recoup and then fruit it as 1 giant cake

--------------------
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

Offlinepizzle3k
Midwest Mushin!
Male

#3265254 - 10/22/04 05:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i do agree with 2" thick substrate being about the max unless your doing straw/poo,IME i have had good luck with just 1" casing's

Nice pics scatmanray..very impressive...What strain is the second pic??? P3K

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3266765 - 10/23/04 01:29 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

penlight438094 said:
couldn't i just put down a moist layer of perlite, cover it with a substrate layer and put it in the dark for the mycelium to recoup and then fruit it as 1 giant cake

Ive already said that yes you can fruit it as one giant cake but I wouldnt. Less shrooms and bigger chance of losing your whole crop and ending up with zero. Once again, take my advice or leave it, makes no nevermind to me.

Oh and no you should not put a bottom layer of perilite under your casing. You obviously have quite a bit more reading to do before you cakes are ready to be cased. In the pan goes substrate then a casing layer (NOT PERILITE). Then the pan (or pans) go into a fruiting chamber and the bottom of THAT is covered with wet perilite.

--------------------

OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

Loc: Greece
    #3266889 - 10/23/04 02:33 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

my friend Scatmanrav, i don't put perlite in the bottom of my casings either but i have seen friends doing this and being very sucessfull (i remember 150g fresh first flush from such casing)
have u ever tried it?

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BIG!!! experiment [Re: Hamurabi]
    #3266920 - 10/23/04 03:02 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

scat has it on the money...
even with poo you really don't need to go over 2"
ike thick ass casings(4-6") just take longer to colonize/fruit while the shrooms may be much bigger the pinsets just don't seem to come in as good as when you stick with the 2" of substrate.
better pinset = better yields. bottom line
$.02

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: BIG!!! experiment [Re: george castanza]
    #3266936 - 10/23/04 03:17 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

No I havn't tried it and sure it could work..but did it actually benefit? The way perilite works would say, not so much. Verm would be a better choice as a bottom casing layer. 150 grams? Wet? How big of a casing? If your talking a quart sized casing and your talking wet, thats pretty low. I shoot for 150 grams per casing being the minimum. 250-350 is more like it though. Wet weight of course. If your talking dry you obviously mean a bigger casing.. Saying "such casing" tells me no more info on how big it was.

Still unless I see casings prepared the same way minus perilite performing worse..I don't believe it would benifit it much. Actually I don't fully believe bottom casing layers benifit it that much if the top layer is kept properly hydrated. This is all my experiences and thoughts so who knows I could be wrong. Theres a reason that when a bottom casing is used, perilite isn't. Other substances will benifit the casing more..

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3266992 - 10/23/04 04:01 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

To answer this question partly, I will make 2 casing with 2 270ml BU jars. One with 1" wet perlite and the other with 1" wet vermiculite on the bottom. Top is with 60/40 coir. I'll put them in the same terrarium, so we'll see how they turn out. I think wet verm gives a little boost over none, but I'll do that test later on when some more jars are ready.

I have no doubt the perlite will work, but worth extra money? We'll just have to see.

Will post update after flush flush.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinepenlight438094

Re: BIG!!! experiment [Re: Sam1912]
    #3267480 - 10/23/04 11:02 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ok scrap the giant cake idea

i have 6 1 quart popcorn jars colonizing
i want highest first flush yeild possible, secondary flushes can be smaller than most if the first is big, so is there anyway to do this without straw/poo? If so then how? If not then how should i get straw or poo in toronto without a car?

--------------------

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
    #3267506 - 10/23/04 11:09 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Word up to Toronto :rockon: :stash:.

--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

Offlinepenlight438094

Re: BIG!!! experiment [Re: Heffy]
    #3269421 - 10/23/04 09:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

could someone anwser my last question plz

--------------------

Offlinekbilly
earthwalker

#3269520 - 10/23/04 09:56 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

just cruble into a clean washtub/container/bucket, case with cocopeat mixture (mix verm & cocopeat 40:60 mist till nice and moist and nuke for 3 minutes in closed plastic shopping bag leave till cool).

easy peasy contam, resistant cover fan and mist twice a day (not too wet)

this works well it wont give you as much as dung, or straw but you should 100-150g/500g cake wet worst case scenario

if you want a more detailed decsription of this or bulk with worm casting then check out my recent posts.

goog luck and enjoy

Edited by kbilly (10/23/04 10:01 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: BIG!!! experiment [Re: Sam1912]
    #3270236 - 10/24/04 01:47 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Sam1912 said:
To answer this question partly, I will make 2 casing with 2 270ml BU jars. One with 1" wet perlite and the other with 1" wet vermiculite on the bottom. Top is with 60/40 coir. I'll put them in the same terrarium, so we'll see how they turn out. I think wet verm gives a little boost over none, but I'll do that test later on when some more jars are ready.

I have no doubt the perlite will work, but worth extra money? We'll just have to see.

Will post update after flush flush.

Sam

Sam, to get more accurate results since mycelium will differ from jar to jar..you should mix the two jars up together well..then split them into two seperate casing mix. One mycelium (basically, it would be better if two casings came from the same jar) is one less varible. Good luck!

--------------------

Offlinewds
another brick

Loc: Mother Earth
    #3270463 - 10/24/04 03:04 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

penlight438094 said:

i want highest first flush yeild possible, secondary flushes can be smaller than most if the first is big, so is there anyway to do this without straw/poo? If so then how? If not then how should i get straw or poo in toronto without a car?

i hate to be an asshole, but can't you figure some shit out yourself? (maybe through experience...)

--------------------
I wish psychedelic mushrooms were legal, because I would like to indulge in this amazing fruit of the earth. Unfortunately, I can only learn about this interesting hobby, and cultivate legal mushrooms.

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BIG!!! experiment [Re: wds]
    #3270533 - 10/24/04 03:38 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

wds said:
Quote:

penlight438094 said:

i want highest first flush yeild possible, secondary flushes can be smaller than most if the first is big, so is there anyway to do this without straw/poo?  If so then how? If not then how should i get straw or poo in toronto without a car?

i hate to be an asshole, but can't you figure some shit out yourself? (maybe through experience...)

a simple "walk" would have worked :smirk:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: BIG!!! experiment [Re: george castanza]
    #3271118 - 10/24/04 11:02 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinepenlight438094

Re: BIG!!! experiment [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3271135 - 10/24/04 11:10 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i meant what kind of places can i find straw or poo that doesnt require me going to a farm. also i just don't want to screw this up so i want to make sure it is going right

--------------------

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3271153 - 10/24/04 11:16 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale