Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
swami would love this
    #3260820 - 10/21/04 03:12 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

just watchin some trashy day time television show called 'when people attack'

one segment was about a congregation of zen buddhists who were disputing over who should be the new temple leader. In seconds it dissolved into a huge brawl. There were bald, robed monks running around in the street blasting each other with fire extinguishers and wailing on eachother with sticks.

these are people who pursure peace and love and enlightenment FULL TIME. All day every day they meditate and strive for inner peace.

I gotta say thats pretty sad and ironic.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM
Jā™ 
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: swami would love this [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3260831 - 10/21/04 03:15 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

:lol:

If this is as far as they've come after striving 24/7 for peace, love and enlightenment...I've got no chance! Might as well give up now :smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: swami would love this [Re: trendal]
    #3261106 - 10/21/04 04:21 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

That is hysterical. Sure anyone can be peaceful and enlightened if they sit in a cave by themselves chanting and being fed by subserviant monks.

The real test of that stuff is how does it work for the guy in corporate america.

Unless our goal as humans is to become solitary cave dwellers with a rice patty to maintain as our lifes work, we need to get more realistic and practical about not only this elusive pursuit of enlightenment, but what it means to those living in the interactive material world, and what are the practicalities and implications?

Damn, the minute these people had to make a group decision, all hell broke loose.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: swami would love this [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3261340 - 10/21/04 05:12 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

That is awesome and truly funny...I would love to see it. It is not sad...it is just people being human.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ā€• Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: swami would love this [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3261385 - 10/21/04 05:20 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

How many here think that the "non-meditating and unspiritual" Swami would hit another over a mere ego-pricking?

The sad part is believing that this method is the way to achieve spiritual enlightenment.

*Tangent Alert*

I was talking to a companion last night about another racquetball player who is quite advanced. When I mentioned that he was a martial art expert as well, the other guy said nodding, "Well that explains it", referring to the man's level of proficiency.

I was taken aback. He believed the other man had some mystical inside track because he was a student of the martial arts even though none of the top racquetball pros (nor tennis pros nor golf pros...) are martial arts students.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #3261387 - 10/21/04 05:20 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

This is quite hilarious.

Altough it's only hilarious since the majority of monks are not at all like this.

A single bad story is more rmembered the the lack of bad stories like this for centuries.

I'm not supporting monks or anything, but on average they would still be considered far less violent than non-monks.

I also agree with jiggy that maintaining this path while immerged in society is harder, but that's exactly why they chose the monestary.

It doesn't have to be hard, or some triumphant victory to be proud of :/

--------------------

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Re: swami would love this [Re: Swami]
    #3261428 - 10/21/04 05:29 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

" was taken aback. He believed the other man had some mystical inside track because he was a student of the martial arts "

or maybe he just realized that a martial arts expert was likely to have developed peak physical conditioning, lighning quick reflexes and coordination, mental focus and excellent endurance, all traits that could easily be carried over to proficiency in raquetball

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: swami would love this [Re: deff]
    #3261432 - 10/21/04 05:30 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Altough it's only hilarious since the majority of monks are not at all like this.

Source? Please reference the study. If this is personal conjecture then you should state that.

--------------------

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

#3261454 - 10/21/04 05:37 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

as a balancing point, i could point to the dalai lama, a monk who despite the immense indignities and suffering subjected on him and his people by a chinese invasion (destruction of holy sites, using his home land as a toxic waste dump, killing his people, forcing him into exile etc) has shown nothing but love, compassion and forgiveness to those responsible for such atrocities.

--------------------

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #3261576 - 10/21/04 06:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"Altough it's only hilarious since the majority of monks are not at all like this.

Source? Please reference the study. If this is personal conjecture then you should state that."

I knew this was coming as I purposedly went out on a proofless point.

However, I was prepared...

"even though none of the top racquetball pros (nor tennis pros nor golf pros...) are martial arts students."

Source? :laugh:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3262215 - 10/21/04 08:27 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Martial arts would give one a better sense of balence and tuned reflexes. There may be a connection, though not necessarily a spiritual one. It could be argued, though, that keeping one's body in peak condition IS a form of spiritual devotion and discipline.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ā€• Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #3263011 - 10/21/04 10:54 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
How many here think that the "non-meditating and unspiritual" Swami would hit another over a mere ego-pricking?

I recall that you accosted me with a racket when I commented on your out of style Nike's...

If you recall, I even gave you your oz of weed back after the strings broke but you insisted on not talking to me for fifteen minutes afterwards.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Edited by Evolving (10/21/04 11:05 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3263035 - 10/21/04 10:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Martial arts give no one a leg up on other sports. ALL THE SAME principles apply no matter the arena.

Test me out on the court and tell me it is not the SAME mindset.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3263076 - 10/21/04 11:10 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

as a balancing point, i could point to the dalai lama, a monk who despite the immense indignities and suffering subjected on him and his people by a chinese invasion (destruction of holy sites, using his home land as a toxic waste dump, killing his people, forcing him into exile etc) has shown nothing but love, compassion and forgiveness to those responsible for such atrocities.

As a counter-balance, I could point to Donald Walters, aka Swami Kriyananda, the #1 disciple of the highly respected author of "Autobiography of a Yogi" and founder of the Self-Realization Fellowship, Paramahansa Yogananada, who after 30 years of meditation got kicked out of the commune that he (Walters) founded for sexual abuse.

Such is the power of anecdote.

--------------------

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #3264334 - 10/22/04 11:05 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Very true.

That could be the start of another thread.

Once again it comes down to the ego driving force and domination/power heirarchy within the group.

Can we ever escape this?

Moonshoe said it was a TRASHY program tho. I mean hell John Edwards is like the most blatent fraud is being loved by sky! Who knows what these crazy producers do just to get a media angle?

--------------------

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

#3265048 - 10/22/04 04:18 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"Martial arts give no one a leg up on other sports. ALL THE SAME principles apply no matter the arena."

im not sure what your saying here. But, i still maintain that anyone who is an 'expert' or 'master' in a physical discipline requiring strength, agility , coordination and stamina will have a 'leg up' in any other sport requiring the same traits. maybe thats what your saying to, im not sure

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3265197 - 10/22/04 04:54 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I am saying that martial arts discipline is not superior to discipline in other sports and being a great martial artists doesn't make one an expert in another sport nor make one more spiritually advanced.

The first time I went skiing, I was in my 30s. Everyone else (all EXPERIENCED skiiers) in the group except me complained of muscle stiffness and soreness as this was their first run of the season. I felt no muscular discomfort. I attributed that to years of dance and weight-training. So yes, some skills/conditioning translate from one sport to another, but there is nothing mystical about that.

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3265243 - 10/22/04 05:04 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I've been rereading through the book I mentioned in the Bruce Lee post called Zen in Martial Arts.

It talks about zen philosophies being applied relative to developing the or a 6th sense. This 6th sense when developed is what gives the MASTERS their edge. It has provable principles that work, and yet most people don't believe in a 6th sense and call it mystical baloohey.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3265427 - 10/22/04 05:57 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Here's an example story of the martial artists and the 6th sense. There were town elders who needed a samuri warrior for a special task.

They called 3 over at different times and asked them to enter this one home to speak to so and so. They had a man inside who was instructed to hit them with a stick when they entered the door.

The first warrior walked in and got clobbered. The second warrior walked in and instinctually clobbered the man. The 3rd warrior walked up to the door and stopped. He turned to the elders and said, "I sense danger in there. What are setting me up for?" He was the one chosen for the task. He had developed his 6th sense.

This is one reason why I was suprised no one brought it up in the instinct thread. When you develope intuition to the point you are in tune with it 24/7, instinctive reactions have little use.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (10/22/04 06:09 PM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3266081 - 10/22/04 09:30 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Your reasoning is faulty here. Martial arts develops your sense of balance and timing. This is relevant in all sports. Example: My basketball coach in high school wanted me to go out for track to improve my coordination and speed. If someone practices more than one sport they got a leg up in both due to the more rounded workout they recieve as well.

--------------------

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (10/22/04 10:38 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains