Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleNOS4A2
Sh!tApple

Loc: notfarfromtheshittree Flag
Humidification in a closet question
    #3262039 - 10/21/04 09:49 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

MY squirrel is finishing up building an air tight closet and plans to put some humidifiers inside. He has a kaz cool mist and an old fashioned heat element type ( hoping to double as a source of heat in the cold winter months). Does placement inside matter as far as top or bottom and will having them actually inside the humid environment cause any problems with the safe function of the units?

The closet will be insulated to trap any heat from the running units.

He's also worried about putting flourescent lights inside due to the high moisture content and electricity.

Any suggestions???
Thanks in advance! :cool:

--------------------
Hail to the King, Baby
CulturingTech

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Humidification in a closet question [Re: NOS4A2]
    #3262058 - 10/21/04 09:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Genreally, electrical equipments are warm and stays above the due point. As long as you don't have places where water will condense then fall on the equipment/light, you should be okay.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Humidification in a closet question [Re: Sam1912]
    #3262474 - 10/21/04 11:14 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have no problems with compact flouros. I have two closets, both run two desk clip on lights (that bend around) and both have a 18-24" long (cant remember) flouro that just plugs in. Meant for displays on shelves and such. I don't have lots of good pics of my closets, I tend to photograph my shrooms more.

The other one is similar but I have no uploaded pics of it. Anyways..above the picture you can't see another shelf. The flouro tube hangs above the door (it glows bluish, not very bright, plenty for shrooms though) and is for that shelf. The two other lights you can't really see either (except part of one) but they point down, one at each shelf. I have an ultrasonic in there (you can see in the middle of the shelves) on a timer 30 minutes on 30 minutes off all day. You can see my cool mist to the right of it on the bottom shelf. The fan is to the wall and the bent shape on the back of the shelf allows the fan to blow straight up the wall behind it to move around air. It runs 24/7. The HEPA you can also see there..I put it there for air exchange on high, otherwise its sometimes in my closet on low or right outside my closet door (like if people come over, gives an excuse for the noise and hides the wires). Thats the only place for air to get in too so it keeps that area nice and clean. I didnt worry about making it airtight because air is good..my house stays nice and clean, especially my room and especially right in front of the door. The walls ceiling and floor were covered with plastic sheeting and tacked up. All walls done seperatly with a foot overlap on each side and every seam taped well with clear duct tape. Every tack also was covered with the duct tape. Only plastic shelving goes in, no wood exposed (except the painted door, hasn't bee a problem other then warping to make it hard to open).

I havn't had any problems with lots of moisture on all the electronics..if you open the door when the ultrasonics on its a complete fog in there. They work fine. I've misted them all alot too (including a powerstrip you cant see) and not a problem.  The only problem with it, closets hold in heat VERY WELL! You should not have any heat source in there IMO. Even if my room is 60, the terrerium maintains a nice high 70's to low 80's (not really nice). Even with the lights off its only like 78-80. Humidifiers themselves put off heat along with fans and any other electrical devices you have in there. Even mycelium itself generates heat and I think this adds to it.

Anyways, its been tough keeping the heat down so test it out before you stick a heat source in there. Wait a day or two and see what it gets too at the hottest parts of the day. Should be mid 70's.

Oh yeah, placment of them, the bottom is cool because thats where the cold air is. It's also good to have a fan in there. You can't see mine but its next to the ultrasonic behind the cool mist. Pointed up and at the ultrasonics output. This not only disperses the mist and pushes the humid air all around, it pushes air around the chamber which in itself is usfull. CO2 can form pockets in places..fans help keep the air moving and not stagnant. Great for making it tougher to form CO2 pockets and good for keeping contams from settling and germinating. I want to add one at the top blowing down as well though..I think its needed to help with the fresh air exchange. It's tough to do with a closet this size because you can dry it out easily and then it could take a while to build the rh back up. If you fan constantly all day, humidity stays low. You need to fan as quickly and best as possible to keep air humid. I also use a little mini hand held fan. Blow over all the casings 1-2 times a day..put the HEPA there with the door open like that and maybe open and close the door quickly a couple times. With only cool mists though it will be tougher to keep the humidity high if your closet is as large as mine. An ultrasonic on a timer should be gotten along with some fans IMO.

Well these thoughts were a bit scrambled. I rable alot sometimes :smile: Hope it helps though..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation