Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
The United Nations -- useless as tits on a bull
    #3261500 - 10/21/04 05:48 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

From http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/002820.php#trackbacks --

UN Finally Allows US The Privelege Of Protecting It

After over a year of avoiding the US military for their security needs in Iraq, the UN has given up and decided that the Americans can provide their mission with protection:

Quote:

The United Nations no longer objects to American soldiers to guard its staff in Iraq after the search for separate contingents from around the world failed, diplomats and U.N. sources said on Wednesday. ...

U.N. officials originally distanced themselves from American troops when traveling outside of Baghdad, believing their staff would become more of a target of the sporadic and growing violence in the country.

But without volunteers, the United Nations asked the U.S. command of the Multinational Force to supply protection, whether or not American soldiers were involved, diplomats said.

Let's hear how well Kofi Annan gets assistance from the beloved international security organiztion he runs:

Quote:

Secretary-General Kofi Annan said in London on Tuesday he had tried to raise a brigade but "we haven't done very well."

"And it's the same governments who are asking me to send in my civilian staff who are not going to give any troops to protect them," he said.

So the same countries that have been screaming for the UN to take over the administration and rebuilding of Iraq, and who have castigated the Bush administration for insisting on remaining in charge, won't lift a finger to support and protect the UN mission which they demanded. I'm shocked, shocked! to find such hypocrisy at the United Nations, as I'm sure everyone will be.

Had we given up the command of the adminstration and rebuilding, it's now clear that we still would have had to supply all or nearly all of the security forces needed in Iraq. The only difference would be that the mission would be commanded by the same UN that allowed Saddam to fleece billions of dollars from their so-called humanitarian program instead of the US, and we'd likely be looking at another Kosovo -- where we have sat in the same status quo for over five years without a hint of resolution, or even an agreed goal for which to work.

Perhaps the complaints of Iraqis who want the UN imprimatur on their democratic processes pushed Annan to accept American troops in the UN security team:

Quote:

Iraq's interim government complained Wednesday that the United Nations isn't doing enough to help prepare for January elections, saying the organization has sent fewer electoral workers than it did when tiny East Timor voted to secede from Indonesia. ...

U.S. and Iraqi forces have stepped up operations seeking to curb insurgent violence so that Iraqi voters throughout the country can choose a new transitional government in January. The elected assembly is to draft a new constitution in a major step toward democratic rule after decades of tyranny and military occupation.

But Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari complained that the UN has not sent enough election experts to help prepare for the balloting.

"It is unfortunate that the contribution and participation of UN employees in this process is not up to expectations," Zebari told reporters.

He said the number of UN workers expected to help in the election was far smaller than the 300 workers the UN sent for the 1999 independence referendum in East Timor.

"Judging by the size of the process in Iraq and its complexity, we definitely need a larger UN presence in Iraq, at least to bestow trust upon the electoral process," Zebari said.

So far, given the outcry for their participation from governments around the world, the pathetic response by the UN has only underscored the organization's uselessness. Annan's pretense that the UN could do anything effective in a dangerous area without US sponsorship and security cost almost two dozen lives last year, when the former Ba'athist spies the UN hired for its guards allowed bombers to kill the chief of the UN mission. They've been AWOL ever since, and now this poor showing for the best opportunity to spread democracy reveals Turtle Bay as a pretender, an empty shell. Anyone who states that this organization can provide for global security has to either be seriously deluded or trying to delude others.

There are embedded links in the article which lead you to the sources of the quotes they use.

pinky

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: The United Nations -- useless as tits on a bull [Re: Phred]
    #3261575 - 10/21/04 06:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Gee? I wonder why it's so hard to find people willing to hop on over to Iraq and put themselves in the line of fire.

Especially when so many people outside of the US supported this invasion from the get-go!

:smirk:

(oh, and yes, of course the UN is useless now...the biggest and previously most respected member basically said "fuck it" and walked away. the UN is dead)

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineGFM
Cpt. Midnight!
Male User Gallery

Loc: "Around the way"
Re: The United Nations -- useless as tits on a bull [Re: trendal]
    #3261623 - 10/21/04 06:16 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Butros Gali, the last Sec. General of the UN, said Himself, that the world body was not much more, than a massive waster of paper.
That, would be tolerable, but when you come to find, its a mechanism for grifting nations of wealth?
Lets pull out, turn that building into public housing, and spend the cash we WASTE on it, to that national health care thing, or just buy every kid here a laptop?
What a waste.....

--------------------
"Anything not nailed down, is mine.  Anything I can pry up, is not nailed down."    Richard Millhouse Nixon.

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: The United Nations -- useless as tits on a bull [Re: GFM]
    #3261806 - 10/21/04 06:52 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Thank God we didn't do like Kerry suggested and give the UN total authority over Iraq. They would have jumped ship at the first sign of trouble leaving COMPLETE anarchy. If things are bad now, one can only imagine what would have happened if these guys had the responsibilty of rebuilding Iraq.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: The United Nations -- useless as tits on a bull [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3262060 - 10/21/04 07:56 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

They have NO responsibilities whatsoever and never have. No consequences of their actions or inactions have ever befallen them. They are the biggest, most grandiose bunch of token parasites the planet has ever seen.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: The United Nations -- useless as tits on a bull [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3262077 - 10/21/04 08:00 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
They are the biggest, most grandiose bunch of token parasites the planet has ever seen.

No, I believe that would be Congress.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: The United Nations -- useless as tits on a bull [Re: silversoul7]
    #3262092 - 10/21/04 08:03 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

No, you're mistaken. Congress at least consists of elected blowhards who can actually be fired. The UN is not even that.

--------------------

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: The United Nations -- useless as tits on a bull [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3263085 - 10/21/04 11:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, the UN is like if Congress represented lots of corrupt banana republics, dictators, and decadent politicians with no accountability at all to normal people.
The difference is the congress represents the people and are elected by the people. The UN represents the regimes, and are elected by regimes. They also don't do anything but pat themselves on the back, get kickbacks and get kickbacks while telling countries like the US what to do.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: The United Nations -- useless as tits on a bull [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3263103 - 10/21/04 11:17 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Divided_Sky said:
Yeah, the UN is like if Congress represented lots of corrupt banana republics, dictators, and decadent politicians with no accountability at all to normal people.
The difference is the congress represents the people and are elected by the people.

If Congress represented the people, I'd hate America(instead of just hating our leaders).

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #3263108 - 10/21/04 11:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Could a Libertarian President abolish the UN? :smile:

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: The United Nations -- useless as tits on a bull [Re: Rose]
    #3263110 - 10/21/04 11:20 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Cervantes said:
Could a Libertarian President abolish the UN? :smile:

Abolish?  No.  Evict?  Yes.  Wait...maybe.  I'll have to go look it up in the Constitution.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#3263119 - 10/21/04 11:24 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Let me know, my vote may depend on it... in four years and two weeks.

I'm pretty focused on ousting Bush this time around. I can't let up yet. I may be in NY but I'm not the Yankees!

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#3263152 - 10/21/04 11:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I don't know about evicting them from their building, but a Libertarian president would probably have the authority to withdraw us from the UN.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#3263160 - 10/21/04 11:36 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

But not the UN from the US...

Oh well, you still have a few more years to convince me to switch!

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #3263178 - 10/21/04 11:41 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Why can't we agree that no major party will work.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: The United Nations -- useless as tits on a bull [Re: barfightlard]
    #3263188 - 10/21/04 11:43 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I truly believe Bush is the worst US President in my lifetime.

Most anybody'd who is running would be better... from my seat.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #3263259 - 10/22/04 12:05 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

They might be "better" but they will not help your contry evovle as a better country. North America as a whole needs something radical to change things.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
    #3263390 - 10/22/04 01:15 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

InvisibleAntiMeme
yankee doodledandy
    #3264144 - 10/22/04 09:59 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The UN was dead from the get set. It was constructed as a proxy for US zionism and while it has moved on from there, it's still crippled beyond repair as long as the US has got a veto in the security council.

There's more to the UN than the sc though, and some parts, like the WHO, are doing good things.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder