Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Florida having voting problems again
    #3256731 - 10/20/04 03:24 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Early Voting for President Begins with 'Hiccups'
Quote:

MIAMI (Reuters) - Early voting for the U.S. presidential election began in Florida on Monday as activists urged people to opt for early ballots to avoid a repeat of the 2000 election fiasco, but computer problems and long lines soon emerged.

With memories still fresh of 2000, when the race in the key battleground state was so close it triggered weeks of recounts and lawsuits, black and elderly voters in particular lined up to cast ballots two weeks before the Nov. 2 election.

"It was embarrassing last time. Florida looked like a third world country," said Marie Bond, adding she was voting early "because I want my vote to count."

"I don't want the same like the last election," echoed Haitian American Jean-Jacques Ardoun as he waited in a line of several hundred that snaked from inside the Miami-Dade government center outside. "Last time they took the votes and threw them in the garbage."

Florida decided the 2000 election for President Bush (news - web sites) after the U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites) halted the recounts, and both Bush and his Democratic challenger, Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites), have campaigned vigorously in the state.

As the voting began Kerry was in West Palm Beach -- at the center of the 2000 debacle because many voters were confused by the county's ballot design. Bush, who won Florida by 537 votes in 2000, was due in Boca Raton later on Monday.

New technology, such as ATM-style touch-screen voting machines, has replaced the punch card ballots that caused so much chaos in the last election.

Nevertheless, a plethora of independent poll watching groups, the Democrats and Bush's Republicans are urging voters to take advantage of early voting to avoid problems.

More than two dozen states offer "no excuse" early voting by either mail or in person, meaning voters do not have to give a reason. Some states, such as Nevada, Iowa and West Virginia, have already begun. Texas, Arkansas and Colorado also started on Monday.

In Florida, the process was far from seamless.

In Broward County, north of Miami, supervisor of elections Brenda Snipes said a computer connection went down, preventing nine ballot stations from accessing a database to find out which one of the county's 152 different ballot styles each voter should have.

"It's a hiccup, it's a bit more than a hiccup," Snipes told the Sun-Sentinel newspaper.

In Orlando, home to the Disney World theme parks, people were kept waiting for more than two hours by a combination of long lines and computer malfunctions that prevented poll workers from verifying the names and addresses of voters.

In Miami-Dade, poll workers appeared overwhelmed by the hundreds brought to the government center by a rally of trade unions, voter activists and Democrats, and the line to cast an early ballot moved achingly slowly.

"This is unusual," said election official Javier Gonzalez, pointing to the long line.

Patience quickly began to run thin.

"They've got four people to register hundreds," said John Simon, a Republican turned Democrat who wanted to pick up an absentee ballot but decided after waiting for two hours that he might as well cast an early vote.

Voting rights activists and Democrats have been highly critical of the state's elections division, run by Glenda Hood, a Republican appointed by the president's brother, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush. A string of lawsuits on issues such as the lack of a paper trail for touch-screen systems are before the courts.

But Republicans also urged people to vote early to avoid long lines amid an anticipated heavy turnout.

"You'll feel better on November 2nd knowing your vote was already cast," Bush's campaign said in an e-mail to supporters.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Florida having voting problems again [Re: daussaulit]
    #3256747 - 10/20/04 03:27 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Does it surprise you that a state with many too stupid to figure out a ballot, which then rushed head-long into defective electronic systems, would be having problems?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineGFM
Cpt. Midnight!
Male User Gallery

Loc: "Around the way"
Re: Florida having voting problems again [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #3261446 - 10/21/04 05:35 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Every state, has some loss of some ballots. Most, are user errors, not the work of evil henchmen.
As for the work of, "Evil" my county is a Dem stronghold, in a Rep state. Our county has 2 and 1/2 times MORE registered voters, than residents? and they tell us on the news, what a GOOD job they did with voter registration. Not only, can the Dem's make the crippled walk, they can get the dead to vote.
The big rumor, is that Kerry is going to claim victory, begin lawsuits in battle ground states, and start appointing his cabinet. They are said, to have felt the way Gore went about it, was dumb, and that they can do it better. It seems, that the future MAY become, that the voters, are round ONE of an election, and the lawsuit, round TWO. Perhaps then, that THIS may be one reason why they have stonewalled almost every judicial nomination from Bush.
If all this stuff comes to pass, and I hope it doesn't, it will give NEW meaning to all that, "make my vote count" bullshit.
As it goes, some will blame Bush for it, some the Dem's.
I hope I'm wrong.....

--------------------
"Anything not nailed down, is mine.  Anything I can pry up, is not nailed down."    Richard Millhouse Nixon.

Offlinenycomyco
Stranger

Loc: PA
Re: Florida having voting problems again [Re: GFM]
    #3262222 - 10/21/04 08:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Are you honoring christopher reeves with all those commas? Sorry.... too soon.
From what you're saying it sounds like we maybe should blame the DEM's for this one.
But who's to blame for putting thousands of innocent blacks on a felony list so they couldn't vote (some lists may have been over 95% wrong!). Funny how the conservative florida latinos were only represented on the list by a few dozen. Not to mention the explicitly racist drug laws that put the "guilty" ones there in the first place. What about "black" polling machines not accepting mistakes while the adjacent conservative county allows you as many times to write Gore's name properly as you want.
These electronic voting machines are not going to fix things either.

Jump to top Pages: 1