Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGreenRam7
Stranger
tub casing and water content
    #3261138 - 10/21/04 06:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I was wondering how important the humidity of your spawning jars is because I used corse grade vermiculite instead of fine grade and it looks a little dry but I couldn't find a way to add moisture without risking contamination so I proceeded as usual. Does anyone know how I should add moisture without contamination or should they be fine, I mean when I made them I pretty much put as much water in as the vermiculite could hold. Also I am planning on spawning my substrate directly in a rubbermaid bin to maximize volume instead of using a casing tray inside it, how should I disinfect it and do u guys have any ideas on how to keep the substrate covered in it while the spores spawn the substrate.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekbilly
earthwalker

Re: tub casing and water content [Re: GreenRam7]
    #3261320 - 10/21/04 07:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

"pretty much put as much water in as the vermiculite could hold"

its quite normal too wonder and worry relax itll probably work.

what kind mix is it flour with verm or grain with verm.
if grain that that some moisture of its own
is it growing & how long for? just leave it if it is dont mess with it its not worth it, if you got it near right youll get some results.

just put the lid on the rubbermaid and mist regularly to keep moist.
iduse a new rubbermaid if possible or buy some new plastic buckets
just cover with plastic. else wash rubbermaid with dishwash liquis using NEW sponge and clean hands(if you touch your face or anything not clean they are no longer clean), i always wear a mask. then take a clean paper towel with some surgical spirits and wipe it well.

"have any ideas on how to keep the substrate covered in it while the spores spawn the substrate."
are you spawning the cake into dung or something?
the spores are colonizing in the jar, once thats happenes you now have mycelium which is what youll use for spawn with ding or straw etc OR to grow shrooms directly out of.

you dont need to cover it apart from the lid if youre spwaning into dung etc. if youre just going to fruit the mycelium straight out the jars see below.

heres an easy way to do it its pretty idiot proof because it works for me.

just buy a brick of cocopeat - it looks like a brick - nurseries or plant sections. just pour boiling water(a lot) over it and will will expand like mad, scrape what you need off (hands, utensils clean i always use a mask) with a knive, or just let it soak if youre gonna use it all. put a lid over it and let it cool. then just crumble a cake into a clean container. now grab a handfull of cocopeat squeeze some water out(back into coco pot), and then crumble it over your crumbled cake, presto your cased. humidity can be lower(60-70% if you see moisture it ok) just dont make it too wet! now because its high under the casing. just mist it once a day(2-3 squirts per bucket) and fan out stale air, i normaly just use buckets nad cover the top with plastic and elastic. doing it this way you should get absolute MINIMUM 100g total wet per pint. and no humid chambers or other nonsense.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation