Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Feds looking into prosecuting peyote-using 'medicine men'
    #3260519 - 10/21/04 03:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_2428120

Feds looking into prosecuting peyote-using 'medicine men'
Native American Church: Officials say legality depends on registration in a recognized tribe

By Stephen Hunt
The Salt Lake Tribune

State prosecutors this week dismissed charges against a self-styled Ogden medicine man who was allegedly using peyote in religious ceremonies.
But now federal authorities are looking at charging Nicholas Stark, as well as Stark's mentor - Utah County resident James "Flaming Eagle" Mooney, who founded the Oklevueha Earthwalks Native American Church.
Stark, 53, had been charged in 2nd District Court with a second-degree and third-degree felony drug counts for allegedly possessing 10 pounds of peyote buttons and five pounds of coca leaves seized by police in July 2000.
Deputy Weber County Attorney Richard Parmley said the case against Stark was "problematic" in light of a June 2004 Utah Supreme Court decision that says members of the Native American Church can use the hallucinogenic cactus - regardless of their race.
The high court ruling followed an appeal by Mooney, who held religious ceremonies for hundreds of congregation members on his property in Benjamin.
Mooney, 60, and his wife, Linda, 50, were charged in 4th District Court with a dozen first-degree felony drug counts after police seized 12,000 peyote buttons during an October 2000 raid.
Stark apparently bought his peyote from Mooney, who legally obtained the so-called "buttons" from a licensed Texas grower.
But federal prosecutors believe Native American Church members must also be enrolled in recognized Indian tribe to legally use peyote.
"We don't believe those two [Mooney and Stark] meet that criteria," said Melodie Rydalch, spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Utah.
Federal prosecutors have issued grand jury subpoenas for all evidence in the Stark case, including $10,900 cash seized by police, said Parmley.
Mooney claims to be one-quarter Seminole, which is the minimum percentage of American Indian blood required by federal law. Stark claims he is one-quarter Iroquois. Neither man is a registered tribe member.
Despite the high court ruling, Utah County prosecutors have not dismissed the charges against the Mooneys.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBeefytheButerfly
Loc: BC,Canada
Re: Feds looking into prosecuting peyote-using 'medicine men' [Re: Anno]
    #3260598 - 10/21/04 04:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting that the federal government believes that some people should be allowed to use peyote while others should not. I wonder if you could challenge the ruling on the grounds of discrimination. What makes the native americans more mature and worthy of being able to use peyote over say a white athiest? What is the legal basis that peyote and other hallucinogenics are made illegal in the first place and how does cultural history of use circumvent that?

--------------------
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
-Mitch Ratliffe
Looking to sell? I'm looking to buy, PM me.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Feds looking into prosecuting peyote-using 'medicine men' [Re: BeefytheButerfly]
    #3264199 - 10/22/04 12:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

paging qanah parker...

mr qanah parker, please report to the information booth immmmmmmediately....

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobo Ramírez
 User Gallery

Loc: Ray Ray's Mystery Garage
Re: Feds looking into prosecuting peyote-using 'medicine men' [Re: Anno]
    #3265372 - 10/22/04 07:43 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

As a person who is part native american, this really bugs me, first you guys rape our land and culture and women, now more raping, what more could you honkeys want from us? sheesh...

--------------------
We will also report to the NAACP and to Al Sharpton's entourage, how the Shroomery administrators allows their mods and members to be balatantly allowed the use of the 'N' word.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Feds looking into prosecuting peyote-using 'medicine men' [Re: Nemo_Hoes]
    #3267257 - 10/23/04 10:52 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

What is "this"?

The fact that we want spiritual freedom too? It's not really a Native American issue for me. It's an issue that the Federal Government recognizes the right to practice a spiritual awareness for one race, while withholding it from another.

I personally apologize for anything I may have contributed to the ill-treatment of any persons, either in the past or the future.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Offlinevc77
grillmaster
 User Gallery

Loc: University Place, WA
Re: Feds looking into prosecuting peyote-using 'medicine men' [Re: Nemo_Hoes]
    #3267546 - 10/23/04 01:20 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

master_shake said:
As a person who is part native american, this really bugs me, first you guys rape our land and culture and women, now more raping, what more could you honkeys want from us? sheesh...

Yes, we raped your land, culture, and women.

I am sure there are better directions to aim your sour attitude.

--------------------
ich essen die mushmush

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobo Ramírez
 User Gallery

Loc: Ray Ray's Mystery Garage
Re: Feds looking into prosecuting peyote-using 'medicine men' [Re: Joshua]
    #3268933 - 10/23/04 08:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I don't mean today, but back then it was horrible what the people had to go through, christ, but you are right joshua we should all have personal and spiritual freedom, but if you're enlightened the legal status wouldn't even matter, the key is to be a totally free individual in the midst of a bunch of tools. Our day will come soon though, and people will be able to express themselves and practice whatever they believe.

--------------------
We will also report to the NAACP and to Al Sharpton's entourage, how the Shroomery administrators allows their mods and members to be balatantly allowed the use of the 'N' word.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service