Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGordoSmith
Fatty

Please help, Getting ready to grow, Need advice.
    #3259964 - 10/21/04 12:11 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

So I'm getting ready to grow. I've read tons of teks, and I?m just going to ask if my shits gonna turn out right.

Materials:

12 1/2 pint jars.
Tons of tin foil
3 sterile syringe (Damn doctors... Keep them hidden)
Huge bag of vermiculite from local garden store
Lots of rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs
Ground up brown rice? (How ground up does it have to be?)
Pressure cooker

To make a spore print (Going hunting tomorrow for some cow shit cubies) I take a cap, put it gills down on a piece of paper with a glass upside-down over it so no airflow can hinder the process.

Meanwhile while I?m waiting for the print to set, I grind up vermiculite, and brown sugar. Put the verm in a bowl, and put as much water in while stirring as it can take (I was told there should be a little water visible when tilting the bowl)
Mix in brown rice dust and stir...

After the cake is mixed, I put it in the jars, and seal the jars with 3 layers of tin foil. Put in the pressure cooker over night.

In the morning, I scrape off the spore print into a sterile shot glass, add water. Sterilize the needle on the syringe, wait for it to cool, and suck up water.

When the Spore Syringe is cool, then I take off top 2 layers of tin foul, and inject the spores into the cake. (After shaking syringe to get the spores broken up) put 2 layers of tinfoil back over. Put all 12 jars in the incubator and wait for the cake to be colonized.. (Do I have it right up to here?)

When the cake is fully colonized, I can empty it out of the jar onto a wet paper towel.

Wait for the mushies to grow, and have fun frying nuts.

If you have ANY Advice, or you see something I stated wrong, please tell me. It would be greatly appreciated

--------------------
Wow, those are some fat ass stems.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Please help, Getting ready to grow, Need advice. [Re: GordoSmith]
    #3260033 - 10/21/04 12:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

ground rice? using PC, it's not that big of deal. But I burnt a coffee grinder out grinding rice before. That, of course, before I got a PC. Just grind it until it's nice and fluffy without observable kernels.

no brown sugar. I think you meant brown rice. I hope you meant brown rice.

Try using max fruiting formula:
1/2 cup vermiculite.(I prefer coarse/medium over fine.)
1/4 cup BRF(brown rice flour)
60cc water.(I used this before with success. But I personally think 50cc is better for colonization. You make up the water later by dunking fully colonized cake.)

um.. after you mix the BRF and vermiculite with water, you put them in the jars(don't pack at all. just tap the jars on the counter very very gently as you load them), put about 1/4" dry vermiculite on top, close the lids, then you tape the holes(I'm sure you just forgot this part), then put 1 layer of foil. You don't need 3 for this if you have the lids with 4 holes in them. Then you PC(pressure cook) for 45min-1hr. Then in the PC, you let it cool overnight. Don't run out of water in the PC while heat is on. Also, don't let the glass touch the hot metal on the bottom. use a face towel or something to keep the jars away from direct contact with bottom.

It's also advisable to prepare the syringe with water in it and PC along with your jars. wrap it in foil or something.

um.. are you using foils or jars with lids? if you are, you inject through the holes you made... If you are using no lids, use 3 layers of foil. I'm not sure if you are or not.

As far as birth goes.. fairly easy but explanation is a bit complicated. When your jars are fully colonized, wait 2-4 days more for full colonization, then open jars, very gently scrape off the top verm layer, fill the jars with water, put in fridge for 12-24 hours, then you take them out of jars. Don't use paper towel. use your lids or few layers of foil on the bottom. Gently roll the cakes around in the dry vermiculite so some vermiculite sticks to the cakes. Spray them down well, but not drench them. This is dunk/coldshock/roll. As you read this board over next few weeks, you'll learn a lot about them.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

OfflineSilven
I trip,therefore weare.

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: Please help, Getting ready to grow, Need advice. [Re: GordoSmith]
    #3260106 - 10/21/04 12:52 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

A bit of advice about the water content when mixing in your vermiculite.

Push some of your vermiculite out of the corner of the bowl so you can see an entire side of the bowl.  Then tip the bowl sideways towards that bare spot so you can see any water that runs out.  As soon as you see visible water draining off (I mean BARELY ANY) you have hit the right water content.  Then mix your Brown rice flour with it, and continue on packing your jars.

Depending on the grade of vermiculite you are using should also alter the way you pack your jars.  I use fine horticulture grade so when I put mine in the jars I don't even tap the jars on the counter, I just kind of let it slip out of my hand into the jar until it gets up to the lip of the jar, then apply my 1/4" dry verm layer and cover.  No packing whatsoever and I get relatively quick colonization times.

If you are planning on using large grade verm you may be able to pack a little more, but the more airy your substrate is, the quicker it will colonize.

Anyway, good luck with your grow bud!

- Silven

Edit:

Also, I want to touch base on the lids.  If you are using canning jar lids, make sure that you poke your holes through whatever side you are using as the bottom.  Make sure that sharp pieces of metal stick up from the top of your jar, this will greatly help when innoculating so that you don't have to move the bottom layer of foil and potentially induce contams.  You can just feel around for the piece of metal under the foil, and then poke the syringe through there.  I made the mistake on my last batch of making the sharp bit go down in the jar and it was a pain in the ass finding the innoc' holes.

:wink:

--------------------
Born: 10/31/83, which makes me a Scorpio.

1) Scorpios are the most highly sexed of all the signs of the zodiac.
2) Scorpios are prone to excesses: booze, drugs, sex, bad puns, etc.
They usually exploit the weaknesses of others, who fall victim to
their capacity for total lust & sexual abberation.
3) Scorpios possess great intellectual curiosity & creative talent. They
think they are rebels & are arrogant, proud, conceited, and worth every
penny of it.

What do you bring to the table?

Edited by Silven (10/21/04 12:54 PM)

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Please help, Getting ready to grow, Need advice. [Re: Silven]
    #3260126 - 10/21/04 12:58 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Silven, poor choice of words.. not "pack", but "load" use "load" I hear pack jars and think, there's another slow jar...

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

OfflineGordoSmith
Fatty

Re: Please help, Getting ready to grow, Need advice. [Re: Sam1912]
    #3260378 - 10/21/04 02:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Well when I think of load, I think of loading a bowl. Just have to deal with it.

--------------------
Wow, those are some fat ass stems.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation