Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Beef Jerky, Dessicant, Silica Gel

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Eating Silica Gel?
    #3259050 - 10/21/04 03:02 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

SWIM accidentally ground up their last ounce of shroomies with a small (0.5" * 0.75") desiccant pak; probably silica gel. Here is what I found on the web:

Although Silica Gel is harmless to use, non-toxic and totally safe, the phrase "Do Not Eat" printed on the packet is for good reason. If consumed in large quantities, it could dry up the liquid every human needs internally, and ultimately kill you. Therefore, I suggest to stay away from eating this material. Another reason is that some kinds of Silica Gel contain Cobalt Chloride, which is proven to cause cancer.

This is the last of the last batch. Am not sure if I should toss them out and don't want anyone harmed, but SWIM will not be getting any more. The above information seems rather vague, but generally safe for such a small amount. I would like to hear other's EDUCATED opinions.

Edited by Swami (10/21/04 09:24 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: Eating Silica Gel? [Re: Swami]
    #3259396 - 10/21/04 06:22 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry, not an EDUCATED opinion.

But even if the stuff is harmless at those amounts, i wouldn't want to start tripping wondering if the silica is gonna dry my insides out :eek:...

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
    #3259613 - 10/21/04 09:30 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I wouldnt throw them out yet but I wouldnt give them out yet. The information is very vague. I would look it up a bit more before you decide either way. Make sure the information you found isnt farse. But remember, only use credible sources, not just something you find on the net.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

OfflineSilven
I trip,therefore weare.

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3259630 - 10/21/04 09:39 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I know myself, and I know I would eat the mushrooms anyway from the information you provided above, but I definately do not advise you to eat them. Only eat them if you are sure you want to, or upon finding some concrete information that it won't hurt you.

I'm probably very dumb, but temptation can take over common sense for me.

- Silven

--------------------
Born: 10/31/83, which makes me a Scorpio.

1) Scorpios are the most highly sexed of all the signs of the zodiac.
2) Scorpios are prone to excesses: booze, drugs, sex, bad puns, etc.
They usually exploit the weaknesses of others, who fall victim to
their capacity for total lust & sexual abberation.
3) Scorpios possess great intellectual curiosity & creative talent. They
think they are rebels & are arrogant, proud, conceited, and worth every
penny of it.

What do you bring to the table?

OfflineBrilliantWhite
Educated WhiteMan
Male

Loc: A little to the left
Re: Eating Silica Gel? [Re: Silven]
    #3260011 - 10/21/04 12:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It really isnt THAT much, the info you provided says in "large quantities" its dangerous, but like I said its a relatively small amount. I agree with Silven, I would probably do it, but that's just me, think for yourself. :thumbup:

--------------------
Who built the la-la-love?

listen to Portugal. The man

www.myspace.com/portugaltheman

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: Eating Silica Gel? [Re: BrilliantWhite]
    #3260207 - 10/21/04 01:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Is silica gel dangerous ?

Non-indicating (white) silica gel is non-toxic and non-flammable, it is very inert with a very high melting point. It is very much like sand and thus can safely be sent by any means of transport.

It is usually quite safe (although not suggested) for inquisitive dogs to eat. Encourage your pets to drink plenty of water and of course, contact a vet if you are worried.

Self-indicating (blue) silica gel has been reclassified by the European Union and as of 01/07/2000 is classified as toxic. More here.
New safe self-indicating silica gels are now avail

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in
Re: Eating Silica Gel? [Re: baraka]
    #3260251 - 10/21/04 01:41 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i'd mix those shroomes in OJ first and drink up!
but that's just me...

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

InvisibleThirdEyeOpening
Lost In My Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: How the fuck should i kno... Flag
Re: Eating Silica Gel? [Re: Simisu]
    #3260300 - 10/21/04 01:52 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Cobalt chloride is an indicator in silica gel to tell you when its fully used. I dont beleve those packets have it in tem. Other than that it like eating really dry sand id imagine, thats what silica gel is, sand that absorbs water. Wouldent recomend it, but one of those silica gel packets wont kill you. Maby a really dry mouth but not death.  :stoned:

--------------------

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. Im not too sure about the former.      -Einstein

Of course the rules need to be enforced, but the goal of law and order should be to create a just society, not to enforce laws. -Unknown

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”  -Stephen Roberts

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #3260515 - 10/21/04 03:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I was going to say make a tea, but cobalt chloride is water soluble. But if you think there is no cobalt chloride in the batch, then use a coffee filter to wrap up the powder and steep in hot water, making a tea. Repeat several times to get as much goodies out as you can...

Better yet, have SWIM mail the stuff to Edward Volving and he'll experiment.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

#3263628 - 10/22/04 05:09 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Those packs I believe do not contain cobalt chloride.. if it's what I'm thinking of. Small, whitish paper/fabric? I'll admit I'm not familiar with all of them. However, I've broken a few open that came in things I've bought, and it was a solid silica.. small white lumps. I'm told that's what the silica gel is, despite it not really looking like a gel.. go figure, chemists are all crazy >:D intential obfuscation = k3y

Silica gel itself, while you shouldn't munch on it as a snack, is inert, non-toxic, non-carcinogenic. Worst that'll happen is dehydration, but it shouldn't break down in your digestive system, which means it shouldn't, er, stick around for too long.

I think a good question would be where did the packet come from?
I'm not positive about this, but if I had to take a guess, I don't think the general populous really has access to cobalt chloride-containing silica gel indicators. many indicators are available that are completely non-toxic.. i hear orange-green's popular? (cobalt chloride is pink-blue)

That said, the LD50 in lab rats was 80mg/kg. I'm about 80kg give or take, that would be 6400mg, or 6.4g, of cobalt chloride. That's the amount I believe they gave rats to determine it was carcinogenic.
its density is 1.92g/cc..
leaving the volume you'd have to eat to reach that LD50 as roughly 4.5cc
i'll assume that was a thin packet? .125"x.5"x.75"? that would be, in cm, .3175x1.27x1.9.. total volume then of .77cc, or about 1/6 of the established LD50, and a mass of about 1.5g

So.. if the entire packet was cobalt chloride, it's still a good bit below deadly. Can't find what amount of cobalt chloride is typically used in indicator silica gels, but I'd imagine it's just a small fraction.. 10% by mass is probably even on the high side, lowering things down to .15g, 150mg. Found something about a test being conducted in which 6 men were administered via IV between 120 and 150mg of cobalt chloride for 22 days. They weren't great afterwards, but they weren't dead, and 5-9 days later they were fine (nothing life-threatening). And, of course, I doubt the whole lot would be ingested at once -- so therefor the amount of cobalt chloride that would be injested would be even lower than that 150mg.. and I don't know of many people who would injest for 22 days consecutively.

I'd say that if SWIM doesn't want them.. I could properly dispose of them, for sure.

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

Edited by Mushmonkey (10/22/04 05:10 AM)

Offlinekontron
captain planet
Loc: Eden
Re: Eating Silica Gel? [Re: Mushmonkey]
    #3265945 - 10/22/04 10:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

call poision control. ask them. say hey my dumb ass friend ate some with his beef jerky, or cause he thought he was funny... they will tell you straight up if you should worry or not. poision control is the best place to find out about poision. one time my roomates g/f sucked water into her stomach while syphoning their water bed, and she called them cause she thought there was a chance she would be hurt from the water conditioner in the bed. they just laughed at her, and said she would be fine.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Beef Jerky, Dessicant, Silica Gel

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience