Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Bird seed clumped
    #3258583 - 10/20/04 10:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hey guys i cooked up some seed and put it in a few jars them PCed it sunday. late that night i inoculated them and threw them in a tiny incubator i made. these jars are showing no MYC as of today and the seed seems to be clumped into one big brick now, but it doesnt look dry. i also inoculated a few classic PF jars, the PF jars arent in a incubator and are showing MYC. did i fail with the grain yet again, or should i give it more time

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
Re: Bird seed clumped [Re: AhronZombi]
    #3258616 - 10/20/04 10:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Don't give up yet. How did you prepare your seed?

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #3258624 - 10/20/04 10:42 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds like you used too much water in your grain jars. Try giving the grain jars a really good shake and see if it breaks up.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Re: Bird seed clumped [Re: atomic1]
    #3258632 - 10/20/04 10:46 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i soked and removed floating seed, then i boiled. then i jared then i pced

InvisibleAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Re: Bird seed clumped [Re: z@z.com]
    #3258635 - 10/20/04 10:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

thats what i was thinking. i expanded big time in the jar and their is little room left. i shaked it hard as hell and it wont break, do i have any hope of colinization?

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #3258642 - 10/20/04 10:51 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Probably not. Next time don't boil for quite as long and make sure to let it drain for at least half an hour.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleAhronZombi
AhronZombi

#3258644 - 10/20/04 10:52 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ok kool, i didnt le tthem drain much at all

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3258654 - 10/20/04 10:57 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Did you shake between PC'ing and innoc? Also did you rinse real well? I rinse with hot then cold water and make sure to stir while rinsing. Give em a few min to drain but this shouldnt cause clumping. I like to shake em fresh out the pc and just before innoc. That gets the water content even across the jar.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #3258660 - 10/20/04 10:59 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I use the Fool proof wildbirdseed method, but I don't wash the birdseed or remove the floaters. I just put birdseed in a jar, fill it 3/5 of the way up the birdseed with water, pressure cook for one hour, and then use a towel to shake the hell out of the hot jars as soon as I can open my PC. This works great and takes no time at all.

--------------------

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: Bird seed clumped [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3258671 - 10/20/04 11:02 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

It took me 3 tries to get my WBS right.

The first time, I did something wrong and all of the grains exploded in the PC.

The second time, I didn't boil long enough and the substrate is too dry.

I think this time I've finally got it right. I boiled for 20 minutes and let drain for like 45... it looks pretty good. Going to inoculate tonight.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #3258677 - 10/20/04 11:04 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I don't like not rinsing, or pre cooking. Its much more of a dirty substrate and i feel growth is faster with properly cooked and rinsed WBS.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #3258683 - 10/20/04 11:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I've never noticed a difference. My jars usually colonized in about a 10 days (sometimes less) with cubensis and about 6 days with oyster. Plus there is almost no actual work involved.

--------------------

Edited by z@z.com (10/20/04 11:07 PM)

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #3258688 - 10/20/04 11:07 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yep 20-30 min does it well for WBS. I rinse for abotu 5 then allow to drain for not even 3. I just keep some in the bottom where its a bit wet and dump more grain in and rinse. I can only fit about 4-5 jars worth of grain in my colender but 7 jars per pc, so i cant let it sit too long.

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
    #3258700 - 10/20/04 11:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

So, do we soak WBS 24 hours, get out the floaters, simmer 20 min., then rinse, load, PC?
I tried to G2G with wheat berries to WBS and all of them contamed. I G2G'd in a glovebox, tho it was a jankified glovebox. Hmmm. Only soaked the WBS, tho. No simmer. I want to go back to rye. Had good luck with that stuff. Jes don't know right now.

GB

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bird seed clumped [Re: GnuBobo]
    #3258723 - 10/20/04 11:15 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Well rye sbould be prepared almost the same way as WBS. I precook rinse, drain, and load. Sometimes when i run out of pc time i drain any extra grain and let it sit in a bag with some added H2o2 overnight.

InvisibleAhronZombi
AhronZombi

#3259068 - 10/21/04 01:08 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

z@z.com said:
I use the Fool proof wildbirdseed method, but I don't wash the birdseed or remove the floaters. I just put birdseed in a jar, fill it 3/5 of the way up the birdseed with water, pressure cook for one hour, and then use a towel to shake the hell out of the hot jars as soon as I can open my PC. This works great and takes no time at all.

dude that looks awsome

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3264938 - 10/22/04 02:03 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

WBS Tip: When soaking WBS use 1-2 drops of JetDry, you'll see it helps. :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags