Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChimera
Eyes wide open!

Loc: Great Smoky Mountains
What contamination is this?
    #3256576 - 10/20/04 02:52 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

My fellow shroomery members, I've been having a lot of trouble with whatever this is in my wild bird seed. It seems all my jars keep getting this no matter what. This very jar was inoculated a week ago and then left to incubate. I look and see very little if any actual mycelium growth. Any suggestions on what this could be and perhaps a way to fix it? I've used both polyfil and tyvek and I keep getting this weird looking growth.  :thumbdown:

--------------------

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.  Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.  The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." - John Muir

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChimera
Eyes wide open!

Re: What contamination is this? [Re: Chimera]
    #3257134 - 10/20/04 04:43 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Any ideas?  :confused:

--------------------

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.  Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.  The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." - John Muir

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#3257148 - 10/20/04 04:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You have to soak the WBS overnight first. Are you doing this?

--------------------
Agent 727

OfflineChimera
Eyes wide open!

Re: What contamination is this? [Re: MAGnum]
    #3257299 - 10/20/04 05:16 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yes sir. I let it soak for 8-10 hours and then drain, rinse, let drain some more for a good 15 minutes, then pressure cook.

:frown:

Maybe I'm not pressure cooking long enough? I usually go for about 45 minutes once it gets to 15 PSI.

--------------------

Edited by Chimera (10/20/04 05:17 PM)

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#3257530 - 10/20/04 06:00 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Is 8-10 hours enough of a soak not to add any more water?  I'm not sure, I used to use a different method. 
It's mold for sure, definitely one, possibly two kinds.  You can see the thin wispy growth that has lightly colonized most of the jar [I think  :tongue: ].  You might want to double check the filter system to make sure it can't be made better, go a full hour at 15 PSI, let the thing cool in as clean of a place as possible, leave an uninnoculated negative control.  Mold is not usually a sign of incomplete sterilization, rather a downstream problem.  Certain controls can help ID where the problem is coming from.  Good luck!

OfflineChimera
Eyes wide open!

Re: What contamination is this? [Re: Suntzu]
    #3257573 - 10/20/04 06:07 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hmm, very strange. I kept getting failure after failure so I changed the water in my incubator, wiped them both down (my incubation tubs) with bleachy water and then some alcohol wipes and made sure they were in pristine condition before trying again. I'm making sure to be very tidy and when I inoculate I use gauze soaked in alcohol to sterilize the needle along with a flame.

My room is in pretty good order and I have used both tyvek and polyfil so I'm not quite sure what to try next. I guess I just need to keep trying or maybe switch substrates because wild bird seed really isn't doing it for me right now.

:mad2:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds