Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBlueOrb
prototype
Loc: The fourth dimension
What is a bad trip?
    #3255223 - 10/20/04 09:54 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I posted a few days ago, but not sure where the post went? Anyway, I was looking for advice following a 50g fresh cubensis trip. I had experienced being on the verge of a bad trip most of the way through, although at times I had felt euphoric and happy. Towards the end of the trip, things went bad.....A feeling of of panic and anxiety, my mind racing and general bad feeling. Eventually the trip came to an end and the initial suffering was over. However, for several days after the trip, I continued to feel panicky and anxious, even low in mood. Also feelings of depersonalisation. Proir to this trip I had bee happy for a long time. Five days on, (today) my anxiety levels have fallen, and I feel much better, but my mood is still rather flat. I keep thinking to myself that there is such a fine line between insainity and reality, and I feel scared that I could easily slip back into insainity.
What I am currious about is what those feelings were, that came about during the trip, and have others experienced those same feelings? Im talking about the racing thoughts and general bad feeling of panic and anxiety. The weird thing is that during these experiences, I was able to rationalise that I had taken a drug, and that I knew it would end and that there was nothing I could do except ride out the trip. So why did I feel like this? What caused it? Why has it affected me so dramatically post trip?
Why am i still spaced out and flat in mood?
Sorry that this is such a lengthy post, but I need to make sense of my experiences.
I have tripped hard many times before, and experienced 2 other bad trips...(One of these was on acid)but always felt ok the following day.
I guess what I want is reassurance that my mental health will be ok and that I will live to see another mushroom adventure. However, I can't help but feel that something has changed deep inside me, and I don't know what?
Any thoughts would be greatly apreciated!
Many thanks for taking the time to read this. :zoom: :mushroomgrow: :zoom: :werd:

--------------------
"They are trying to build a prison, for you and me to live in"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesublime40oz
Traveler
Loc: Florida
Re: What is a bad trip? [Re: BlueOrb]
    #3255402 - 10/20/04 11:28 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I think that if you are still feeling a little anxious and spaced out that maybe it was the thoughts themselves that left a lasting impression on you? In that case though that's for your personal knowledge and your responsobility to deal with whatever issues came up. If thats not true than I have no idea why you would still feel anxious 5 days later. As for avoiding a bad trip I think its always best to have a habitual task ready for you to do if you start getting anxious. Something like smoking a cigaret, making coffee, etc. I've always found that something you do everyday will ground you and relax you.

--------------------
Beyond the gray sky

OfflineGloryOfBlaze
Trance Addict ,In A PsychodelicState Of Mind!
 User Gallery

Loc: Mass a two shits
    #3255415 - 10/20/04 11:32 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hey do not worry mushrooms , unlike acid the anxiety will go away. Not saying is does not go away on acid, but the fact that you crossed a point in which you could have lost control is gonna leavy you feeling sketchy about sanity. Reality and insanity are so close that you never really realize it untill you meet up with it! The fact that you came down and did not lose your marbles means there is subconcious self control inside of you ! Never fear a trip it is always a learning experiance! Been there done that I spent a week in the hospital because of Acid, pretty shitty, I still take trips:)

--------------------
P.L.U.R
Lifes' merely a delusion, of an illusion in time,
Brought on by the fusion of the subconscious mind!

OfflineGloryOfBlaze
Trance Addict ,In A PsychodelicState Of Mind!
 User Gallery

Loc: Mass a two shits
Re: What is a bad trip? [Re: GloryOfBlaze]
    #3255424 - 10/20/04 11:35 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Trip toys / safety objects are also a great idea for tripping!
Anything you have before , you trip you like or are comfy with might suffice. Or something you find during a trip that keeps you in touch with real time!

--------------------
P.L.U.R
Lifes' merely a delusion, of an illusion in time,
Brought on by the fusion of the subconscious mind!

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: What is a bad trip? [Re: GloryOfBlaze]
    #3255461 - 10/20/04 11:47 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

if you don't know what yoru talking about.... don't say anything kthnxbye...

to the orginal poster... don't worry... try taking less next time and remember to "let yoruself go" don't fight the trip or you'll make it worse.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineBlueOrb
prototype
Re: What is a bad trip? [Re: gdman]
    #3255558 - 10/20/04 12:25 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks guys for your posts so far.....Apreciated

Just looking for reassurance that others have felt hte same way.

--------------------

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
    #3255581 - 10/20/04 12:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

"I keep thinking to myself that there is such a fine line between insainity and reality, and I feel scared that I could easily slip back into insainity.
What I am currious about is what those feelings were, that came about during the trip, and have others experienced those same feelings?"

Yeah almost identicle. Definatly just go with the flow of the trip dont try and fight the insanity, remember the drug will always wear off. Having some valium or xanax around can be nice if things start to get hairy. Just having them if needed is a nice reassurance during the trip.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineBlueOrb
prototype
Re: What is a bad trip? [Re: baraka]
    #3255654 - 10/20/04 01:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Boraka, did you ever feel strange days after the bad trip?

Valium on stand by is a great sugestion, Ill definatly do that next time. Have you used valium to good effect during bad trips? :hug: :blah: :crazyeyes: :hug:

--------------------

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
    #3255751 - 10/20/04 01:27 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i had a similar experiance, i was on the verge of mental breakdown and for no reason, i think what sparked it was the fact that i had to drive and i did not want to. When i got home i called my friend and explained the whole situation to him. even though he didnt have much to say, it still helped talking to someone. I then took an Ambien which is my sleeping medicine to try and get rid of the feelings and sleep. After doing so, all my anxiety and racing thoughts deminished and i had the most amazing time watching the map of the world on my ceiling( yes its on my ceiling)rippling like crazy. i also had many other intense visuals which kept me up for hours. it was a great time. so to answer your question, my best advice is to talk to someone who has experianced psychedelics and explain what you are feeling. Also think back to earlier in the trip and try to pinpoint what might have sparked it. you can also think of happy experiances you had while tripping and it might ease the crazy the anxiety.

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
Re: What is a bad trip? [Re: danlennon3]
    #3256081 - 10/20/04 02:50 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

hello blueorb im glad to hear that the anxiety has broke a little. it sounds like time is healing you. but i feel you are getting better slowly but surely. i havent expetienced the bad trip but others i know have and it has always gone away eventually.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #3256136 - 10/20/04 03:01 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

That's where you take drugs and instead of having fun you feel really sad or scared.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

OfflineBrilliantWhite
Educated WhiteMan
Male

Loc: A little to the left
Re: What is a bad trip? [Re: question_for_joo]
    #3256341 - 10/20/04 03:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

After, having an "unworldly" experience like that, it's COMPLETELY normal for humans to question things they wouldnt regularly question, such as ones sanity, religion, existence...
I just want to reassure you, with the way you described your situation, I believe you'll be just fine. :smirk: :thumbup:

--------------------
Who built the la-la-love?

listen to Portugal. The man

www.myspace.com/portugaltheman

OfflineBlueOrb
prototype
Re: What is a bad trip? [Re: BrilliantWhite]
    #3256465 - 10/20/04 04:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hi Lemon lw, feeling much better, but rather spacy today, but sure that I am on the mend....Thanks for your support
Thanks to everyone that posted

--------------------

InvisibleAdden
Saprotrophic Specimen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Amongst the Dunes
    #3256466 - 10/20/04 04:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I keep thinking to myself that there is such a fine line between insainity and reality, and I feel scared that I could easily slip back into insainity.

It's not *that* fine of a line, but with that mentality, you might psych yourself out. I think you should stop worrying about it, and you're gonna be just fine. I've had friends unable to string sentences together for a week+ after trips, worried the whole time they'd land in the white-roomed ward. They were fine, if not better off due to their experience.

OfflineBlueOrb
prototype
Re: What is a bad trip? [Re: Adden]
    #3259702 - 10/21/04 10:18 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Day 6.........

Feeling 98% back to normal! huray!

I was pretty worried for a while, I have become a recluse for the past week, not leaving the house or answering the phone etc....but today I feel great........
Thanks for all your support! :thanx: :iloveyou:

--------------------

Offlinetrophyscars
Stranger
Male

#8902584 - 09/09/08 05:08 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Although this was posted about twelve-thousand years ago -- I want to reply to it anyways.

A lot of people that have bad trips while on psychedelic drugs are always asking, "why did I have a bad trip?" or, "what caused my bad trip?". People who research these drugs, or have been informed about them from people they know shouldn't EVER ask this question.

Most of the time bad trips are caused by the enviornment around you while you are tripping. If you're in a bad enviornment and you take shrooms/lsd anyways, you should pretty much be fully expecting a bad trip. Not always, there are some people that are the lucky exceptions. Not to mention every trip is different for everyone. One day you could have a really good visual trip, and the next you can have a really bad visual trip. These trips are always different for different people.

The only other way that I'VE heard of about having a bad trip is when you try and fight to regain control of your body when the mushrooms/lsd begin to kick in. It can frighten you seeing as how there is no way in hell anyone can keep control of their own body when the psychedelics begin kicking in. Then you start to panic and begin experiencing a bad trip.

Hope this helps any of the first timers that are searching through these forums for information about maybe trying psychedelics their first time too. I don't expect any of the professionals to come through here and read my post thinking that i'm trying to give you guys information. This is only for people who have little to no experience, like me. I've just researched and talked to a lotttttt of people who are into psychedelics.

--------------------
"There is a wealth of information built into us ... tucked away in the genetic material in every one of our cells ... without some means of access, there is no way even to begin to guess at the extent and quality of what is there. The psychedelic drugs allow exploration of this interior world, and insights into its nature."
-Alexander Shulgin

OfflineAltecLansing
Trafalgar Square Pigeon Fiasco
Male

Loc: Michigan
Re: What is a bad trip? [Re: trophyscars]
    #8902702 - 09/09/08 05:31 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

trophyscars... like the band? They used to hang out at my friends house.

--------------------
I don't use jelly.

Offlineberbonber
Stranger

Re: What is a bad trip? [Re: AltecLansing]
    #8902814 - 09/09/08 06:01 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

ive just tried about 4 times to explain my thoughts on this and cant word them properly at all. i say its ying and yang, every trip has both negative and positive sides to it, it is when people concentrate too much on the negative sides that things can 'go bad'. but if you just accept it as part of the trip and wait to see where it takes you next you may feel ok.

when your not tripping and you feel bad about something and you keep thinking about it you generally feel worse yeah? but if you do something to take your mind off it or you just think of something else you feel better? its just the same when you are tripping, it just feels much worse cause of the drugs in your system like you arent in control but you are just dont concentrate on the negativity just go with the flow man

im not the most articulate of people but thats my thoghts on the matter

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience