Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenihil
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Washington State
Gifford Pinchot walk about
    #3255059 - 10/20/04 08:02 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hello all,

I would first like to say thank you for having this forum. I am a long time reader, and since I recently got a digital camera I wanted to do some snap shots and posting.

I live in Central Washington currently but used to live on the western half of the state. I found that the Gifford Pinchot national forest is a wealth of mushrooms this time of year. We loaded up on chanterelles this week in Lewis County (no pics unfortunatly, but they sure were good) and Boletes we found deeper in the forest a couple weeks ago.

I have one question though, I found a few LARGE clusters of mushrooms that resemble what I would call 'Honey Mushrooms'. I havent found them before though, and would like an opinion before I go out and get them for the kitchen later.

Also, here is a really clear pic of what I recognize as a 'Death Cap' that is A. Phalloides. You cant tell from the picture but it had pristine white gills and a vulva after I pulled it out to check it out closer. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Also if there are other Washington State edible mushroom hunters that like to hit up the Gifford Pinchot (north side of mt adams) feel free to message me and maybe we can go together (non commercial hunters only please).

Thanks! And hope to post a few more times this season with some decent pictures to share for you all.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Gifford Pinchot walk about [Re: nihil]
    #3255485 - 10/20/04 11:59 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

cool stuff, I'm from central WA and have done a bit of hunting around mt. adams- klickitat, yakima, kittitas counties.  living west of the mountains now...

nice pics, those do look like honeys to me, supposedly theres a single 1500 acre patch of them around there somewhere, used to be considered the largest organism in the world until they found a 2300 acre one in E. oregon :shocked:.

DH

OfflineOregonBluesGil
Forager/Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Humboldt County Flag
Re: Gifford Pinchot walk about [Re: spores]
    #3255957 - 10/20/04 02:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Cool Pics man

--------------------
I'm in a Magical Mushroom land!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Gifford Pinchot walk about [Re: nihil]
    #3256706 - 10/20/04 05:21 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Your possible Honey Mushroom photo doesn't show enough details to be sure of what they are, other than possible Honey Mushrooms. They should be growing from wood, have a white spore print, and a cottony partial veil (on young specimens). They appear to have the tiny, erect hairs one the caps, particularly at the center.

The Amanita photo doesn't show the volva clearly, and that's one of the important bits to see. Another good test is to get some Tincture of Iodine (look in the first aid section at the grocery store or drug store) and put a drop on a good heavy spore print. The spores of the Death Cap type Amanitas are amyloid, and will turn blue in Iodine. This test doesn't guarantee that they are Death Caps, but it will eliminate lots of other Amanitas.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

Re: Gifford Pinchot walk about [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3257431 - 10/20/04 07:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Toxic Man said
Quote:

get some Tincture of Iodine (look in the first aid section at the grocery store or drug store) and put a drop on a good heavy spore print. The spores of the Death Cap type Amanitas are amyloid, and will turn blue in Iodine. This test doesn't guarantee that they are Death Caps, but it will eliminate lots of other Amanitas.

So you're talking just on the spores rather than on the mushroom???

Any other mushrooms that this works with? Sounds like a neat technique! Hadn't heard of that one before.

L

--------------------
"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi

Offlinenihil
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Gifford Pinchot walk about [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3258273 - 10/20/04 11:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Toxic:

All of those things you said about the honey's are true, its just that they looked a 'little off' color wise to me. I know that aging, mutations, and other things can slightly distort the details of mushrooms, but I am fairly confident that they are at least in the ball park of species with going for honey mushrooms.

As for your vulva comment about the death cap, I do have a picture of the vulva however it wasn't that good so I didn't want to waste the space to post it. I agree of course that's a key in identifying a mushroom as amanita. I never knew about the iodine though, thanks for the tip.

Thanks all!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification