Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCappin
Stranger
Loc: Brazil[not really]
myc network question
    #3253313 - 10/19/04 08:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

hi all, first post. hope it doesn't sound too retarded....

I'm new to the whole grow thing and decided to go with GT's as my first. I now have two casings that i birthed really early,
and the mushies growing seems to be smaller than what i see on this forum regularly.
The myc seems established enough to form at least 15 pins all over,
but could the small shrooms means that the network isn't "connected" enough from the crumbled chunks i put in there before? And if so, will they get
bigger if the myc net becomes more established as it grows? I currently have the chamber at 75 degrees F and 99% humidity (perlite)

thanks

capp

i can take pics if needed. too lazy to right now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: myc network question [Re: Cappin]
    #3253347 - 10/19/04 08:34 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

you'll want your RH more towards 90% for casings. casings produce their own humidity whereas cakes do not. How thick was your substrate layer. The reason your shrooms are puny is probablly because of a thin substrate layer. I make mine 2.5-4 inches thick.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

InvisibleCappin
Stranger
Loc: Brazil[not really]
Re: myc network question [Re: derx]
    #3253372 - 10/19/04 08:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

the sub is at least 2.5 thick. Would 99 rh be harmful to shroom development? and if so, how would i turn down perlite humidity?

capp

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

#3253400 - 10/19/04 08:44 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

99 is not good for casings. if you do not have an automated setup you will need to monitor the humidity with a hygrometer and mist to keep it around the RH of 90%. You may fan out some of the humid air and that will bring the RH down some.

--------------------

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
    #3253467 - 10/19/04 08:57 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

your mushrooms are probably so small because the myc network isn't very thick or big...IME a bigger casing (with more substrate) will produce bigger shrooms
also, added nutrients will lead to bigger shrooms...
also small shrooms can be a sign of low air exchange...

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3253473 - 10/19/04 08:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The network is established just fine if its pinning. How thick is your substrate? I've had trouble getting the GT strain to fruit evenly. I havn't had any problems getting decent sized fruits. You need to use substrate that is 1.5 inches thick with a 1/2"-3/4" casing layer on it, misted well to keep it glistening. Keep the humidity around 90-95 but mist the casings as needed still..humid air isn't enough to keep casings moist IMO, they still need some sort of mist to really get the most out of them. Maybe not if you have them on an ultrasonic with plenty of mist, but otherwise IME you need to mist.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Re: myc network question [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3253536 - 10/19/04 09:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

scat what strain is that?

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3254726 - 10/20/04 01:29 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Golden Teachers, the strain the poster is talking about. You can see they come up in uneven patches. I get alot of them around the sides too.. They certainly arent small though. Very thick and meaty like they look.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3254794 - 10/20/04 01:52 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'm growing GT. They pinned fairly evenly(I did patch twice, though), but the overall growth isn't as big as the ones on double ended cakes. I'm 99% certain the environment in my pods are nearly identical because I have same setups for them, now.

I heard GT has larger second and third flushes, so I'm sure that's where the difference will be, but the mushrooms from the casing seem smaller but more plentiful. So, maybe you didn't maximize your pinning strategies or something...

I'd probably say, whatever was short on first flush will be made up in your latter flushes. So, take care of your casing well, so you get bunch more flushes.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: myc network question [Re: Sam1912]
    #3254913 - 10/20/04 03:17 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not to sure, I know I had problems getting these to pin (about day 19 from when the casing was made). I had made an isolate on agar and it seems to be so aggressivly growing it doesnt want to fruit..it just consumes everything quick.

Sam you should get some pics of them up :smile: I'd like to see a nice even set of GT's.. Mine have been big on the first 3 flushes..havn't had any make it to number 4 yet (finished anyway) but they're comming in smaller.

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3254938 - 10/20/04 03:33 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Doh. You want some pictures of my harvest? It's my bad... I just keep telling myself that I need to tell as little about my stuff as possible. Side effect from the lack of poor interest from my GT time trial experience. But I'll take some pictures of both single cake casing/cakes/and 3cake casing for comparison for you.

For me, GT has been doing really well. BU is hasn't even pinned yet and I inoculated them 2 days before GT. But I did pack that thing just a slightly(slightly for newbie me at the time was actually WAY TOO MUCH).

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale