Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
Workout Question
    #3254215 - 10/20/04 01:25 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I just started working out a few weeks ago. I'm doing it every 3-5 days. I decided to up the weight of my bench press by 10 pounds because I could do around 15 reps with the old weight (71 lbs). I decided to do that because I heard that you're only supposed to do around 8 reps to gain muscle (I'm trying to get ripped). I notice that my muscles don't burn as much when I workout with the new weight. Shouldn't it burn just as much (or more) with more weight? I did 7-10 reps with the new weight, so it's not like I'm not doing work. Plus, my form was still good. I did have trouble by the end of the workout (my arms weren't going perfectly straight up and down), but I don't think that's the problem because my muscles burned during the whole workout before.

Btw, I'm doing flat, inclined and reclined bench presses. 3 sets of however many I can do on each.

What's up?

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: Workout Question [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #3254251 - 10/20/04 01:32 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Your muscles probably don't burn because there in shape.

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Re: Workout Question [Re: funkymonk]
    #3254407 - 10/20/04 02:06 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think my muscles being in shape would make a difference.. they still produce lactic acid (I think that's the name of it). When I do dumbell workouts, I can always get my muscles to burn.

--------------------
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Invisiblegrassman
Stranger
Male

Loc: twilight zone
    #3254503 - 10/20/04 02:26 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It sounds like you are benching the same weight every set. A good approach would be to increase the weight after each set and also decrease the amount of reps. Maybe something that looks like this:

1st set - 80 lbs x 8-10 reps
2nd set - 85 lbs x 6-8 reps
3rd set - 90 lbs as many as possible to max out

After the last set when you max out, you should definitely feel the burn. This is just a suggestion. There are plenty of bodybuilding websites and forums that can help with your workout routine, just do a search in google. Good luck

--------------------
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together

InvisibleComfortably_Numb
FriendlyStranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Here (not everywhere)
    #3255295 - 10/20/04 10:39 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hobbitcg said:
I don't think my muscles being in shape would make a difference.. they still produce lactic acid

You answered your own question. When you do higher reps, you begin to use a different energy system (anaerobic), and your muscles begin to produce lactic acid. You might not feel as much of a "burn", but you should still feel tired.

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Re: Workout Question [Re: Comfortably_Numb]
    #3255902 - 10/20/04 02:00 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

My arms are really tired and sore today so I guess it worked. Thanks for the advice, CN.

--------------------

Offlinedruqks46
its dat woowoo
Loc: trees
    #3256250 - 10/20/04 03:20 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Eat healthy and do some cardio along with your weight training to get ripped. high reps to get ripped is a myth, stick to:
3x8
4x6
5x5
I have seen good results with all these setups.

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

Re: Workout Question [Re: Comfortably_Numb]
    #3256322 - 10/20/04 03:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Comfortably_Numb said:
When you do higher reps, you begin to use a different energy system (anaerobic)

actually, when doing higher reps you get into aerobic training. anaerobic is the shorter repped, heavier weight training.

grassman has a good system.
since you're pushing 71lbs of weight and saying you want to get ripped, i assume you want to gain more muscle mass (bulk) and strength. to do that, you need to shock your muscles into growth and by doing that you need to do heavy weights and eat way more protein and calories than what you're used to.

by heavy weight reps i mean you should be doing around 6-8 repetitions and tiring and barely be able to finish by the time the 8th repetition rolls around.

high reps are good for when you already have lots of bulky muscle, but want to burn up the fat around those muscles giving them a 'ripped' look. so first, you need to build lots of muscle, then burn the fat off of them. if you keep the right diet, you can build lean 'ripped' muscle without the bulky look.

if you are going to do cardio, keep it around 30 minutes and at a medium intensity. otherwise, you'll be breaking down the muscle tissue you've been trying so hard to build up.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Anonymous #1

Re: Workout Question [Re: felix]
    #3256633 - 10/20/04 05:04 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

high reps are good for when you already have lots of bulky muscle, but want to burn up the fat around those muscles giving them a 'ripped' look.

This is a myth, higher reps don't tone muscles or burn fat. Aerobic exericse is the ONLY way to burn fat off and hence show more toned muscle contour. Unless you were talking about doing high reps to the point of aerobic exercise, which would probably be around 800 reps per set...

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #3256709 - 10/20/04 05:21 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

on bench i do 3 sets of whatever weight i can rep 8 times. then i increase by 10 lbs and do two sets of 5 or 6 reps. then i add another 10 lbs and do that maybe 3 times. 10 more lbs and i do it once (kind of dangerous if you don't have a spotter and don't know how to roll the bar off you). my new thing is to then take off all the weight except 155 lbs and jump into that right after i've finished my max set and when i finish that i only leave the 45 pound weights on either side and do that until i can't do any more. this is somewhat of a 'pyramid' workout...increasing to max and decreasing to low weight. i do this type of pyramid workout for biceps also and i probably should do it for shoulders later today during my workout.

i don't do cardio and i am pretty built/ripped for a skinny/small guy. i hurt my knee so i can't run long distance so it makes it impossible to run.

i don't get a 'burn' when i bench but i do work hard. i think you now know how this is posssible b/c you said you are sore today. good luck with your workout and if you have any more questions feel free to pm me...i've been working out religiously for a couple years now and i know my way around the weight room.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Offlinedruqks46
its dat woowoo
Loc: trees
Re: Workout Question [Re: TODAY]
    #3256983 - 10/20/04 06:13 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

High reps would be endurance.

Offlinecompman
Stranger
Re: Workout Question [Re: druqks46]
    #3260552 - 10/21/04 03:48 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_II.html

check this out, ive gained TONS on this workout.

highly recommended.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #3263738 - 10/22/04 06:41 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

if you want your pecs to burn, do 50 pushups after you get done bench pressing.  You'll feel it the next 2 to 3 days :smile:

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
Re: Workout Question [Re: SpecialEd]
    #3263786 - 10/22/04 08:12 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Do you have somebody spot you? If so you can increase your weight safely. Oh, and remember to exhale when you exert force and inhale when you do the opposite. I can't count the number of people who I hear wheeze VERY loudly at the YMCA when I work out.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Offlineannielicious
pisces
Female

#3279356 - 10/26/04 02:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

First of all, don't rely on "hearsay", get yourself a Muscle and Fitness or some other reliable magazine that is easy to read. Also, I hope you are doing more than just bench presses, because you have to work your whole body to reach the "getting ripped" goal. Another resource is your gym employees. I recently was getting stuck in my weight/workout routine and asked the gym owner to give me a jump start. They should be informed and educated people to help you out. They love to answer questions.

Even though I have been working out for 12 years, I still get sore and sometimes not. If you are stagnent for a few workouts ask for help in person, but if it was only one workout ... who knows.

--------------------
"Everything that limits us, we have to put aside."  Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being