Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Air Pump, Air Stone, Hygrometer, Perlite, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineaoxomoxoaMan
Esquire

Loc: Colorado
Help, PMP not humidifying
    #3253678 - 10/19/04 11:36 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I was soo stoked to set up my PMP. But I let it run for a day and the walls are dry as a bone.
So, my PMP is 117.3L/31G and my pump says that it puts out up to 2800cc per minute. That would be 168 L per hour. I have about 2 inches of hydroton and 1.5 inches of water. 2 air stones underneath it all. Is my pod just too big? Not enough hydroton? Too small of a pump? I also live in a really dry climate.
Thanks for any and all help.

--------------------
Careful with that axe Eugene...You might put an eye out.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help, PMP not humidifying [Re: aoxomoxoaMan]
    #3253936 - 10/20/04 12:28 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I use way more hydroton. 4 inches deep with 3 to 3 1/2 inches of water.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Help, PMP not humidifying [Re: Magash]
    #3254491 - 10/20/04 02:24 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

you have way too much water. I've seen this problem first hand and had experimented to correct it. If you oversaturate the stones, you are covering up all the holes and you basically get same effects as straight water. You need at least 1"(i recommend 1.5-2") of stone/perlite ABOVE the waterline. Also, you have about 1.5 air cycles per hour. It should be good enough, but you might want to use more air if you plan on casing or putting a lot of cakes in there. sounds like you have a huge set up, my rubbermaids are only 45L. But for now, drop the water level. If you don't have any cakes in there now, put a fan over it and help dry out some rocks. If you have cakes in there, it'll stablize over about a day.

Good luck

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: Help, PMP not humidifying [Re: Sam1912]
    #3254596 - 10/20/04 02:58 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

what time of timer do you guys use for the PMP. I have one for christmas lights but it isn't that exact. It goes by every 2 hours. Also what is a good on off ratio?

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help, PMP not humidifying [Re: derx]
    #3254614 - 10/20/04 03:02 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

14hrs of light and 10 hrs dark kick ass iko

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: Help, PMP not humidifying [Re: george castanza]
    #3254653 - 10/20/04 03:10 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

sorry i meant for a timer for the air pump.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help, PMP not humidifying [Re: derx]
    #3254688 - 10/20/04 03:19 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Run it 24/7. Also I don't see why you would want to fan the rocks to dry them out that makes absolutely no sense to me Sam? I've heard you say this before so we need to be on the same page :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: Help, PMP not humidifying [Re: hyphae]
    #3254732 - 10/20/04 03:32 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Wet rocks takes more than few hours to dry with PMP running. Drying it out is not needed, but you have to dry enough to expose the surface(those cracks and tinnie tiny holes). On an empty tank, I used pulled all the water out and poured hot water to make it work before, but that dumping all the water is so much more hassle I tried to find a better and faster way without all that manual work.

I tried leaving it alone with pump off and cover off, but just the feeling of stagnant air sitting there exposed made me clean out the entire pod. Basically, scrapped all the ideas about easy drying except three ways. Wait it out with pod running, drop water and fan, or add more dry geolite/perlite/hydroton/lava rocks/corals.

Let me know if you think there is a flaw, Hyphae. I'll test it. I'm gonna need those 3 spare pods I'm experimenting with shortly for rye casings.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3256032 - 10/20/04 02:39 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry I disagree with the whole idea about dry rocks it's irrelevant. What does matter is surface area. When theres too much water compared to rocks then you lose surface area like you stated earlier, now with the air pump running it will rise pulling humidity off all wet rocks (a good thing). With perlite 1in. of water in 2in. of perlite seems to be the most efficient as perlite will only wick so far, now with hydroton and air pumps it's the same thing except they're larger so they can have deeper levels but the ratio is still basically the same.
Hydroton underwater is useless obviously but water depth is critical so we need to have deeper levels in order for the wands to do there thing. 2/3rds would be a better ratio IMO than 1/2 but look at Magash's he's over 3/4's which maybe better than 2/3rds for him I'm sure he's taking into account the evaporation factor so he doesn't have to add water everyday right Magash :wink: Anyway I wouldn't worry about getting any rocks dry or maybe I'm just misunderstanding what your saying? GL :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineaoxomoxoaMan
Esquire

#3257696 - 10/20/04 08:30 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the suggestions. I just bought a Proline 5500 air pump and im gonna return the pussy one. Hopfully that helps a little bit. If I dont see an improvement tonight im gonna go buy some more hydroton tomorrow. Im really excited to get my RYE on!

--------------------

OfflineAithin
Re: Help, PMP not humidifying [Re: aoxomoxoaMan]
    #3258685 - 10/21/04 01:06 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Just as an added note... I just set up my pmp and the walls are also dry.  I had a cheap gauge for temp/rh sitting in the pmp and they were reading about 80% rh.  However, when I put in a nice digital thermometer/hygrometer it quickly went up to 99% rh. 

Moral of the story ... use a decent gauge :smile:

(If your already using one, then disregard all this :smile:

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
Re: Help, PMP not humidifying [Re: Aithin]
    #3258886 - 10/21/04 01:56 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, you need a proper hygrometer/psychrometer to determine the actual humidity in there. Remember that condensation is formed because of differences in temperature. If the temperature inside your pod is about the same as the temperature outside of your pod, it is unlikely that you will see much condensation.

InvisibleQbanMoJo
Mr. Brightside

Loc: OutSide
Re: Help, PMP not humidifying [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3259043 - 10/21/04 03:00 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Land_Crab said:
Yes, you need a proper hygrometer/psychrometer to determine the actual humidity in there.  Remember that condensation is formed because of differences in temperature.  If the temperature inside your pod is about the same as the temperature outside of your pod, it is unlikely that you will see much condensation.

Very true. The walls of your PMP being dry doesnt mean that the RH isnt high. My PMP is at 90-95% RH all the time and the walls are dry but if you stick your head in there you can feel the humidity and if youre like me that lives in Florida, there is nothing more familiar then humidity :tongue2:. Good Luck.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3259417 - 10/21/04 06:35 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Hyphae, we are still talking about the same things.  What I mean by dry rocks is that they'll get to work faster than waiting for the wet and overly saturated(basically completely covered in water) stones to return to work.  Thus, fan them dry and let the pumps and wicking return them to work.

I think you are talking about when it's in steady state operation and I'm talking about how to recover TO steady state operation as fast as possible.

It is about the surface area.  No question there.  But pores and cracks create even more surface area.  With that covered with water as when rock(perlite, etc) are wet, it's basically same as blowing air over water.

It appears from my experiments that wet(drenched) perlite/coral do not raise the humidity above 85%.  Damp ones do the trick to 99%. And time it takes for dry material addition is almost immediate, while it takes overnight to recoup from too much water accident.

Anyways...  no disagree from me on what you said except that you disagree part.  I'll just call that miscommunication for now. :wink:

Sam

Oh yeah, btw.  Aqaurium rocks 4" and 1" of water left me with 80% humidity, just like water only at 74F.

--------------------

Edited by Sam1912 (10/21/04 09:51 AM)

OfflineaoxomoxoaMan
Esquire

#3261821 - 10/21/04 08:56 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Good point on the humididty. I shouldve realized that. I guess I need to go out and buy a hygrometer now. Where is the best place to obtain one of those anyway?

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help, PMP not humidifying [Re: Aithin]
    #3261875 - 10/21/04 09:07 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Also folks when you first make the pod the water you put in it make the inside of the pod cooler then the air outside the pod so moisture won't build up on the in there till it warms up a little. (You know that cool water in the glass thing) Make your pod a few days before you plan to put your cakes in and just let it run and see what happens.  :wink: :mushroomgrow: :rockon:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Air Pump, Air Stone, Hygrometer, Perlite, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation