Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stones

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
fucking D
    #3253360 - 10/19/04 10:37 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

My god damn D string just broke, I don't have another one unless I transplant it from my other guitar, and I just changed the fucking strings last week. Weak!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: fucking D [Re: Tasty_Smurf_House]
    #3253579 - 10/19/04 11:17 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

at least it wasnt your E string on your bass.

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: fucking D [Re: funkymonk]
    #3253625 - 10/19/04 11:25 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

better yet, the B on my bass. Although I don't know HOW that could break. You'd have to hit it with a chainsaw. 130. Big fucker.

But yeah, my D broke down near the bridge , I dunno it was fucked.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: fucking D [Re: Tasty_Smurf_House]
    #3253819 - 10/20/04 12:06 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I had a bass player of mine break the thick e-string on his bass numberous times....  He used to hammer on it tho~....  I have a few guitars, and it seems that some of them are prone to breaking strings more-so than others for some reason....  Usually by the bridge as you mentioned....  My local music shops have single spare strings you can buy for just this occasion so you don't have to break-up a new set....  I had a set of strings last over a year of continual use on my Ibanez Prestige "S" series guitar....  Crazy, they always break at the worse moments....  :shrug:

ChoW~

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Loc: London
Re: fucking D [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3255933 - 10/20/04 02:09 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Did anyone know that Ernie Ball died a few weeks ago? I don't know if anyone cares of course..

--------------------
-{ divined from the mind }--

My music

Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
Re: fucking D [Re: Rob_K]
    #3255958 - 10/20/04 02:15 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

fuck... Ernie Ball was a person?

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
Re: fucking D [Re: adamj]
    #3256006 - 10/20/04 02:30 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

oh wow really.. i didn't know he was a person either.. if this is the truth..

i always buy ernie ball strings though. the neon green ernies usually.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

Re: fucking D [Re: Locus]
    #3256274 - 10/20/04 03:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i feel your pain..my high e has been snapped for some time now. i'm so lazy, i just gave up on getting a new one.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Loc: London
Re: fucking D [Re: felix]
    #3256285 - 10/20/04 03:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/story/0%2C3604%2C1313293%2C00.html

Ernie Ball

Christopher Reed
Monday September 27, 2004
The Guardian

The man who developed the intrinsic sound of rock'n'roll was not a composer or a famous musician but Ernie Ball, who has died aged 74. He pioneered lighter gauge guitar strings to assist the riffs and wailing vibratos that became the music's characteristic sound. His strings, marketed as Slinkys, were used by, among others, Jimi Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Pete Townshend, BB King, U2 and Spinal Tap.
Although they remain the most popular guitar strings in the business today, their introduction was not an easy matter. In the early 1960s, Ball, a musician himself, realised that the heavy gauged strings then available were so tough that players got blisters trying to manipulate them. When his request for lighter strings was rebuffed - because the electric instrument's legendary pioneer, Leo Fender, would not change his design - Ball decided to create a new string type himself.

In 1962, after working out the best kind of metal and gauge range, he began production with a few employees at his guitar shop in the Los Angeles suburb of Tarzana. He sold mainly by mail order, but word of the strings' superiority quickly spread. At the time of his death, he had two factories, employed 350 workers, sold his guitars and strings in 5,500 US music shops and exported to 75 countries. Sales topped $44m a year.

Ball was raised in Santa Monica, California, the son of a salesman who also played the guitar, and the grandson of Ernest R Ball, a popular songwriter. He himself became interested in the instrument as a teenager, practised for hours every day, joined the Musicians' Union and played in the evenings at a bar.

He also learned to play the pedal guitar, which has horizontal frets and stands on legs, joined a band and toured for a year. At the time of the Korean war, he enlisted in the US air force band for three years.

In 1958, Ball opened what is believed to have been the first music shop in America to sell only guitars. He sold it in 1967, before opening the strings factory. In 1972 he launched the Earthwood guitar and, in 1985, bought the Music Man electric guitar company and launched more brands. He is survived by his wife Ani, three sons and a daughter.

? Roland Sherwood 'Ernie' Ball, musician and entrepreneur, born August 30 1930; died September 9 2004

--------------------
-{ divined from the mind }--

My music

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: fucking D [Re: Rob_K]
    #3256425 - 10/20/04 04:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

wow, what a strange name, hehe
nothin but love to ernie ball though :heartpump:

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

#3256527 - 10/20/04 04:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I only used Ernie Ball strings once, they were the ONLY strings I ever had rust on me.... I use Boomers, and only strayed that one time.... Plus the GHS corperation is a local company for me, and I gotta~ support the locals, ya~ know....

I wonder if Ernie Ball is somehow related to the Ball glass jar family....?

--------------------

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3257046 - 10/20/04 06:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i've had rust on every set of strings i've used. sucks.. i always end up with a bunch of junk all over my guitars. although, i also procrastinate when it comes to changing the strings so they get even more rusty. i once intended to try boomers, but i got the zach whylde ones and they were too heavy of a guage for my guitar to handle at the time. and i would have had to get it fixed up to handle that guage so i just said whatever and moved on. but maybe i'll try boomers sometime with a guage im used to for the guitar im using now.

--------------------

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

#3257417 - 10/20/04 07:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I play Boomer 10's, and Zakks are prolly~ a custom set with various gages for each string.... And unless you have a fixed bridge, if you change string gages you have to do a fresh set up on the guitar.... It puts way more tension on the tremelo, and it can bow the neck a lil bit.... It can be a pain in the ass, but I have converted the guitars that I play to 10's....

When I play 9's now, it feels like the strings are like wet noodles....! They bend all over the friggin place...! And the tone/sustain from the lower gage strings are kinda~ wimpy after you get used to the higher gage.... I was thinking about trying an even higher gage lately, but too lazy to go thru the set-up.... Thicker strings = thicker tone, so I dunno~.... Maybe if I can get another band together I will look more into it....?

--------------------

>^;;^<

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3257683 - 10/20/04 08:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

yeah i play 10s also. i'd rather not go through the hassle of gettin it fixed up yet either, so i'll stick with these for now. i'm satisfied anyway.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stones

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media