Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Putin Backs Bush
    #3252831 - 10/19/04 08:19 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

Putin Backs Bush, as Kerry Gets Nod of a Critic of Israel
BY MICHAEL MAINVILLE - Special to the Sun
October 19, 2004

MOSCOW - It wasn't exactly an endorsement, but President Putin made it clear yesterday that his sympathies lie with President Bush in the American presidential race.

Speaking during a visit to the former Soviet republic of Tajikistan, Mr. Putin said the ongoing terror attacks in Iraq are aimed at scuttling Mr. Bush's reelection bid and warned that they would likely increase if Mr. Bush loses.

"I consider that the activities of terrorists in Iraq are not as much aimed at coalition forces but more personally against President Bush," Mr. Putin said.

"International terrorism has as its goal to prevent the election of President Bush to a second term," he added. "If they achieve that goal, then that will give international terrorism a new impulse and extra power."

At the same time, Mr. Putin made it clear that he wasn't trying to interfere in the American election.

"We unconditionally respect any choice of the American people," he said. "I don't want to spoil relations with either candidate."

Also yesterday, the former Malaysian prime minister, Mahathir Mohamad, a bitter critic of Israel, published an appeal to Muslims in America to vote Mr. Bush out of office, saying he was the "cause of tragedies" across the Muslim world.

Observers in Russia were not surprised by Mr. Putin's comments.

"I have no doubt that this was an endorsement and it clearly reflects the Kremlin's preferences in the presidential race," the director of the Moscow office of the Heritage Foundation, Yevgeny Volk, said. "For Putin, Bush is much more predictable leader. The two men have developed a close personal relationship and Putin believes that he can use that to soften U.S. criticisms of what is happening in Russia in terms of rolling back democratic reforms."

While the Kremlin was initially suspicious of Mr. Bush - due largely to his missile-defense plans and support for NATO expansion - relations between the two presidents have been strong since their first meeting, when Mr. Bush said he looked deep into Mr. Putin's eyes and saw his soul. Russia strongly supported the American-led war on terror in the wake of the September 11 attacks, allowing coalition forces to deploy in former Soviet Central Asia countries for operations in neighboring Afghanistan.

Russia joined France and Germany in opposing the war in Iraq, and Mr. Putin underlined that fact yesterday.

"Russia was always against the military campaign in Iraq and today our views with President Bush differ considerably," he said.

The Bush administration has also been more critical of Russia in recent months, with Mr. Bush and other top officials voicing concerns about a clampdown on press freedoms and electoral reform plans that will replace elected regional leaders with Kremlin appointees.

But Mr. Volk said the Kremlin fears that the Democratic hopeful, Senator Kerry of Massachusetts, would be an even more vocal critic. Mr. Bush has also been more willing than Democratic leaders to portray Russia's ongoing war in predominantly Muslim Chechnya as part of the war on terror.

"Kerry would likely be more critical of the state of human rights in Russia and of the situation in Chechnya," Mr. Volk said.

He also said that with both Russia and America increasingly isolated from European leaders, Mr. Putin is increasingly relying on his close relationship with Mr. Bush.

"Russia doesn't have much support in Europe right now, so a strong relationship with Washington is a must for Putin."

The differences between the two American candidates on Russia were clear in the first presidential debate in September.

Asked to discuss the situation in Russia, Mr. Bush said he favored constructive engagement.

"I've got a good relation with Vladimir, and it's important that we do have a good relation because that enables me to better comment to him and to better discuss with him some of the decisions he makes," Mr. Bush said.

Mr. Kerry instead launched an aggressive attack on Mr. Putin's democratic record.

"Mr. Putin now controls all the television stations. His political opposition is being put in jail," Mr. Kerry said. "Freedom on the march? Not in Russia right now."

Meanwhile, Mr. Mahathir, in a letter posted on the Internet, called on the American Muslim community to vote for Mr. Kerry.

"Bush has shown that despite his protests, he is the cause of the tragedies in Afghanistan, Palestine, and Iraq," he wrote. "People, including children, women, sick, and disabled people, have been and are being killed in these countries who otherwise would be alive today. Under the pretext of attacking terrorists, whole towns and villages with their populations are being destroyed by rockets and bombs."

Mr. Mahathir, who recently retired after 22 years in office, has been sharply critical of Mr. Bush's foreign policies. He said that that Muslims in America have a duty to ensure that "Bush will not be able to determine our fate for four more years.

"I would like to appeal to you, the Muslim citizens and voters of America, to be united and to cast your votes against Bush, in the name of justice, in the name of Islam," he said.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Re: Putin Backs Bush [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3252845 - 10/19/04 08:23 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

Putin Says Loss For Bush Would Boost Terrorists

DUSHANBE, TAJIKISTAN | Russian President Vladimir Putin said Monday that terrorists are aiming to derail President Bush's chances at re-election through attacks in Iraq, the latest in a series of comments indicating he favors Bush in the vote. If terrorists prevent the election of Bush, "that will give international terrorism a new impulse and extra power," Putin said after a regional summit in the Tajik capital, Dushanbe.
Putin declined to specify which candidate he wants to win the U.S. presidential election on Nov. 2. But the statement equating a Bush defeat with a terrorist victory was a clear indication of support for the incumbent.

October 19, 2004

Fred's son

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Putin Backs Bush [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3252916 - 10/19/04 08:38 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

Recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize Yasser Arafat has also endorsed Kerry. Huge surprise there.

Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Putin Backs Bush [Re: Phred]
    #3252946 - 10/19/04 08:46 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

pinksharkmark said:
Recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize Yasser Arafat has also endorsed Kerry. Huge surprise there.

I wouldn't consider Putin to have a very rosy human rights record either.

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: Putin Backs Bush [Re: Phred]
    #3253042 - 10/19/04 09:36 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

pinksharkmark said:

Ironically, Jimmy Carter's still undecided. :wink:

Son Of God
Billy Beer [Re: Rose]
    #3253176 - 10/19/04 10:06 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

I saw Carter on Matthews last night. The left heaps so much praise upon the man. His was a failed Presidency, no matter how hard they try to revise it. Didn't he just get his Nobel Prize because he opposed the war? What a joke. People like Bush and Reagan free over a hundred million people, and the Noble Prize goes to the most grossly incompetent President in the last half century.

As far as Putin goes, this news is a great case in point. Putin backing Bush will never generate the press that Putin opposing Bush did. Notice how people bring up what a tyrant Putin is when he backs Bush? Go back and Google the time when Putin opposed Bush, and you will never hear people that site his opposition to Bush and then call him a tyrant.

If Jaques Chirac endorsed Bush tomorrow, people would be claiming Bush had the goods on him because of the Oil for Food scandal, and that Chriac and the French are corrupt and self interested. Only when they oppose Bush are they speaking with the clear concsience of world opinion. The only way to get the main stream media to finally give Oil for Food the coverage it deserves is to have the French endorse Bush.

Call me crazy. I think I will get drunk now. I will then lay a path of waste and disttuction upon all of you.

Tastes just like chicken

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion