Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
FAQ 28. What if I take too much?
    #3252076 - 10/19/04 03:17 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: FAQ 47. What if I take too much? [Re: Rose]
    #3252122 - 10/19/04 03:27 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Well, that would mean consuming an enormous amount. In all likelyhood one would throw up before being able to finish the required dose for 'too much'. People have eaten huge amounts.

One guy ate ~40g dry and tripped in the desert for about 2 days.

The important thing to do is realize you're experiencing affects of the drug, and that you WILL come down. If that doesn't work, try having a friend just keep an eye on you to make sure nothing happens to your physical body, then just let yourself go.

It's very easy to work up to a panic in an altered-state, so just remain calm under any circumstances if you can.

Other than that, Erowid has a good psychedelic crisis FAQ.

However, if you somehow manage to overdose, then it's advisable to call Poison Control. But be careful, it would not be cool to call them only to find out later you would have been fine, you just freaked out. So I would say call if a sober person near you feels there's danger (high blood pressure, consistently fast pulse, etc).

I'm not saying that you should never call them, just more often than not, you're in no real physical danger, it's just imagined, though it certainly can feel real.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 47. What if I take too much? [Re: dblaney]
    #3252146 - 10/19/04 03:36 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

To clarify,

By too much, I mean, "What if you take so much you trip too hard?"

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #3252207 - 10/19/04 03:52 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Aha, tripping too hard is a very unpleasant experience that I have had the misfortunate of once experiencing. Maybe it's caused be having an expectation of how hard you're going to trip?

Anyways, as discussed in previous threads, there are a few OTC supplements you can probably take to ease your mind a little, most notably niacinamide. Then there are all the prescription meds, such as Xanax, Valium, etc. Pain killers might work, but then again, they might not, so experiment at your own risk.

In terms of non-medicine methods, you can try to have a friend talk you down a little. You could try to sleep, but many find that an almost impossible task while tripping. If you aren't at the peak, a little mj may help, but if you're at the peak, it may also make it MORE intense, which is exactly what you don't want. A walk in nature is always a nice thing to do, I find, be it a good or bad trip.

Other than that, you could always call an ambulance and have them shoot you full of Thorazine or some such anti-psychotic. But uh, have fun with that! (thorazine.... :syringe: :thumbdown:)

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: FAQ 47. What if I take too much? [Re: dblaney]
    #3252232 - 10/19/04 03:59 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"What if I am tripping too hard?"

Take a few deep, cleansing breaths and go with the flow. Remember that you'll come down in a few hours and that the mushroom will not hurt you. Try to focus on your breath, settling your mind. Hang on for the ride. Don't fight it. Just surrender peacefully.

Easier said then done I know...but that's what I try to do.

Other suggestions:

Take a bath (mindful of the hot water)
Walk in nature
Play a bit of music

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: FAQ 47. What if I take too much? [Re: MOTH]
    #3252437 - 10/19/04 04:45 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

if you take to much i hope that you have a good trip. if it turns bad and your lvl 5 i feel for you. if you still have touch with reality and its going bad change the environment and use positive reinfocement. that really about all i could say to do

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 47. What if I take too much? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3252485 - 10/19/04 04:56 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The more you know about tripping, the better off you will be. Be sure to check the essential links in the Tripper's FAQ.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
    #3252673 - 10/19/04 05:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

your right cervantes, knowledge is power. im a little wiser nowadays, if im going to do a new drug i dont dive in. i research understand the pros and cons know what to expect and the way its going to affect me phyically. for shrooms the shortness of breath can catch someone by surprise and could freak them out. so know what your doing and trust your mind if it tells you to stay away (like datura i was interested and with alittle research i was like hell no im glad i did cause i would not have enjoyed the feeling

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

Re: FAQ 47. What if I take too much? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3254884 - 10/20/04 03:00 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Just know that however you feel at the time, your perception is very very fucked up from a powerful substance and you WILL be normal again in a few hours. The way I see it, you have two options - accept what is happening and stop resisting (very difficult and scary, but rewarding in the long run) or you can try and steer yourself in a more comfortable direction by changing your physical situation. This does not mean you try to control your trip, doing that will only make things worse...Try to give yourself something to focus on, like music, drawing, walking around, climbing a tree, get naked, bake a cake...only you can know what will hold your grasp on reality. If you are not able to make things more pleasant for yourself, I recommend surrendering and letting the trip take you where it will. This is not easy, and can be terrifying, but in the long run you will probably face things you've been needing to face and will end up looking at it as a positive experience. If all else fails, just remember these words from me...no matter how fucked you feel, YOU WILL COME DOWN SOON.

OfflineBlueOrb
prototype
Loc: The fourth dimension
Re: FAQ 47. What if I take too much? [Re: Hendostan]
    #3255262 - 10/20/04 08:24 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If you take too much, you are FUCKED!
No, seriously, I thing that your frame of mind is a greater influence on how your trip goes than the amount you eat, although both are significant factors.
If you are not felling 100% mentally or physically, DO NOT TRIP
Leave it alone until another day.
If you do get caught out in that bad place known as a bad trip (mental torture) try and stay focused in the present moment of now, where the mind has no power. Also, reassurance and love from a friend helps a lot. Get someone to hold you, and don't be afraid to cry, this can release a lot of the negative feeling. And just remember, the feeling will slowly get better.
Hope this helps. :microwave: :werd:

--------------------
"They are trying to build a prison, for you and me to live in"

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
    #3255619 - 10/20/04 10:49 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Take some valium and try and remember that no matter how intense it gets you will still come down. Some times having a sober person you 100% trust reasuring you everything is ok can work wonders.

If things start getting to intense a lot of times just changing the setting will help.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 28. What if I take too much? [Re: Rose]
    #4057040 - 04/14/05 11:18 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Here's the answer so far. Please add any info you can think of, or edit the Wiki yourself. Just follow the link in my sig.

Taken from this link.

Critical Weight - "Wow, I Think I Took Too Much"

Most folks interested in home grown magic probably have dealt with weights and measures of the plastic baggie kind. It goes something like this: "Ummmmmmm. Yeah. I guess that looks like about an ounce." Right?

One fine morning, much to our delight and still to our surprise, we find ourselves staring at a small mound of carpaphores lying right there on our kitchen table. They are staring back. What now?

Chances are we're gonna eat 'em. And the question arises: How many???

Rumor has it that the LD50 (lethal dose in half the incidences) of Psilocybae cubensis is one's body weight in fresh shrooms. If anyone out there tries that and survives, PLEASE send your trip report to The Shroomery! We'd also love to hear all about your growing techniques.

So we're not going to die, even though we might think so for a minute or four. (The temporary poisoning meme/delusion seems to be fairly consistent among many mushroom psychonauts at 3+ trip levels.) The difference between a three gram experience and a four and a half gram experience can be extreme.

The problem of "how much to take" arises when [1] we realize the effects of increased dosage are exponential and not linear, and especially [2] when we consider an ayahuasca analogue such as mushrooms combined with a Syrian Rue harmala extract.

Unlike that baggie of weed you and your friendly supplier agree is "about an ounce", you want to know more precisely how much that pile of mushrooms on the kitchen table weighs, particularly if you've taken steps to dry them.

If you want to use the "By Guess and By Golly" approach, you can assume that a level teaspoon of dry, powdered mushroom might weigh about a gram. If you are then going to limit yourself to no more than three of these level teaspoons, no problem. You may get more than you bargained for, but it won't be totally out of hand. Note that here we are talking about measuring spoons, not about your Aunt Mary's teaspoons from her silverware set.

On the other hand, if you want to be able to gauge psilocybin strength in your crop and if you want to be able to file good flight plans for future trips, you're going to want to take some accurate measurements.

Even if you're dealing with fresh shrooms, it's most convenient to know what that soon-to-be-eaten pile weighs.

A pretty good estimate of wet-to-dry weight is that spanking fresh mushrooms will go bone dry to one-tenth of their original weight. (Isn't it interesting that mushroom water/body weight ratio is so similar to human water/body weight ratio?) So, if you want a mild buzz for the evening, you'd want maybe two grams dry. Heck, let's go for three! To eat the equivalent of three dry grams when the just-picked shrooms are begging you to begin, you'll need to weigh up thirty grams of the little babies.

So you make a tiny mistake. You accidently eat thirty-five grams of fresh shrooms. (A U.S. five cent piece weighs 5 grams.) So what? You're still only at a 3.5 dry gram tripping level. You can deal with it.

When working with dry weights, the scope of weighing errors increases ... ten fold! You think you're eating three grams and you might really be eating five grams. (A U.S. penny weighs 2.5 grams.) You thought you were going to groove to the tunes, giggle and laugh, knock off some cool sex. Suddenly, instead, a giant preying mantis is bearing down on you in the middle of a totally alien cityscape but it doesn't really matter because you've no idea where your body went. Except for the fact that you've no idea who you are. Hey, you don't even know WHAT you are.

Now you may be less sensitive to psilocybin than the author of this article. He is fortunate in that he is extremely sensitive to this particular molecule. Not feeling that he is at all unique, he knows there must be many others out there who are equally sensitive.

Even if you are not so sensitive to the effects, when you share some of your wondrous magic with a friend you certainly want to take the responsibility of offering a carefully measured dose.

So how do we get from here to there?

We gotta buy some scales!

The downside is that this is going to cost money. Those $6.95 specials at the headshop are NOT going to do. They are barely acceptable for weighing up letters to determine postage.

There are also the $24.95 models and the $39.95 models. These headshop products are no better. A bit more accurate, maybe, but not good enough.

The headshop is also going to offer you something much better. The problem here is that the analytical scale they will offer is going to be priced at 250 percent of it's actual retail value. After all, they think they're dealing with rich cocaine dealers. If your local headshop is less caustically capitalistic, congratulations.

The one exception to this rule is Ohaus balance beam scales. This company maintains some control over point-of-sale pricing. The Ohaus is a very reliable scale. If you go this route, be sure to get at least the Ohaus 750 model. If you can afford the extra bucks, go for the Ohaus 1650; it is distinguished by an adjustable dial for fine tuning of small weighs. These scales should cost no more than $85 and $120, respectively. These scales weigh to 0.1 gram increments.

Of particular interest are the Ohaus Cent-O-Gram 311 Balance and the Dial-O-Gram 310 Balance which both weight to 0.01 gram increments! Should you ever become interested in Phalaris grass extractions for DMT these would be very useful. These scales should be priced at $120 and $150 respectively.

You can read about these scales at:

http://www.scalenet.com/mech.html
http://www.scalenet.com/cent.html

Now, these are "mechanical" balances. Nothing wrong with that. They've been used for hundreds of years and have only gotten better. But if you'd like a nifty scale with a cool LED readout, no problem. In fact, they often are cheaper.

To find out more, point your browser at:

http://www.scalenet.com/pock.html

There you will see a wide range of scales. Not only that, you will find you don't have to spend a hundred bucks to get with it. From the web page noted just above, you can go to:

http://www.scalenet.com/deering10.html

Where you will find the Deering 10 Gram Pocket Scale priced at $27. We consider this a Best Buy if you don't want to shell out a buncha bucks. This is the minimum weighing device you should own. Although you'll need your reading glasses, it offers measurements to 0.01 grams! Think about it. If you bought "three grams" of shrooms from the local dealer you'd spend more and wouldn't have any idea what you were getting weightwise or otherwise.

If you go to this web site, be SURE to check out their weekly specials at:

http://www.scalenet.com/special.html

This is by no means an endorsement of the company which hosts the web sites mentioned above. Buyer beware. If you contact them, do NOT mention your special interests. The reason this site was singled out from many other precision measurement companies is that we did an extensive search and found this company has the widest range of products and offers the best prices. Should you choose to buy from a local source, check the URLs? mentioned above to arm yourself with reasonable purchase prices.

As a self-disclaimer to this article, the author admits he is conservative in matters such as these. While he seeks envelope-pushing experiences, the author has a great respect for entheogens and a profound humility toward them. Furthermore, the author would be the last to discourage entheogen use by emotionally stable adults. In fact, he would encourage envelope-pushing experiences. By knowing the weights of the substances consumed this becomes a reasonable proposition. And, certainly, you wouldn't want to UNDERDOSE!

You may find your mileage varies. You may be perfectly comfortable chomping down on an unmeasured handful of entheogens.

Yet, allow us to quote Terence McKenna:

"What's going on at thirty milligrams [pure psilosybin]? Forty-five or sixty? These are not dangerous doses physically, but they're terrifying doses to contemplate from the point of view of the fragile constructs of the mind. As you cross the five, six, seven gram barrier with mushrooms, it becomes less like a drug in the ordinary sense and more like a happening, an experience that is unique."

Whatever you do, realize you should probably arm yourself with a precision weighing instrument. When the stuff kicks in and things begin to get weird you will be able to tell yourself, "I took a somewhat reasonable dose".

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#4058460 - 04/15/05 11:03 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

There is debate over the weight of a penny. Anyone know what a penny weighs?

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlineswiftrance
Let there be light

#4059144 - 04/15/05 02:07 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i just weighed 10 different pennies with my brand new digital scale.. 3 of them came out to 2.4, the rest were 2.5grams.... hope this helps :laugh:

btw if youre curious, here are more coin weights:
pennie:        2.5g
nickle:        5g
dime:          2.2g
quarter:        5.6g
half dollar:    11.2g
liberty dollar: 7.9g
(not susan B anthony's)

:laugh:

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 28. What if I take too much? [Re: swiftrance]
    #4059236 - 04/15/05 02:25 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

FANTASTIC...

So pennies and nickles ARE the poor man's scale! (2.5 and 5g)

FANTASTIC! Thank you for your help!

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflinePsiledehysp
second mushroomto the left
 User Gallery

Loc: inside out
Re: FAQ 28. What if I take too much? [Re: swiftrance]
    #4059249 - 04/15/05 02:26 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If you took too much, first thing you will think may be "oh shit I took too much, oh no, I dont want this, now I`m gonna get my ass handled to me on a plate".

In one of my experiences thinking something similar made me try to just hold on, and set me into "lets try and just survive this, lets just wait till it ends" mode. Insteed, I should let happen what was going to happen anyway and dont fight it. Just accept the trip.

But lets say a bad trip has already happend, and its from taking more than we wanted. Some time ago I made few researches on the Shroomery about bad trips, letting go, thought loops etc. - I searched through the boards and collected useful info, from other posters. In another thread I placed results of my "letting go" research, so why not put the "bad trip" research results right here. Some are obvious, others less, and there is a pattern I think:

You just have to roll with it, submit yourself to the mushroom. Don't fight it, because it just becomes uncomfortable. Just accept that what is happening is happening, and that it will be over in about 6 hours. Listen to what your mind has to say. You may learn things that are quite important to you.

==========

The quicker you accept any negativity, the quicker it will dismiss itself. REMEMBER THAT IT WILL 'GO AWAY' and that someday you might even want it back

===========

If you feel things are getting out of control, pause and focus on your breathing, lie down and do this. It might be a bit harder to do in the midst of a trip from Hell, but if it's only the early stages of a freak out, I think it could help. I've managed to avoid what could have been a messy end to my trip by remembering to breathe, and I lay down and focused on it completly. Sure enough the bad times passed.

===========

People who have bad trips are the same people who take it WAY too seriously. That is not to say that shrooms should be taken lightly, but the actual trip, and what happens during the trip should.

For instance, if you're having a bad trip and you think you see spiders (just using for an example) instead of freaking out and saying to yourself "holy crap there's spiders everywhere oh my god!" rather you calm your mind, and take a zen-like approach: "oh, so now I'm visualizing spiders, I wonder why that is. What could this mean?"

Once you learn how to think like that you can control your bad trips very easily. It's kind of fun to slip from good to bad trip over and over again..

..just be prepared and it can be a blast! Gee, that sounds familiar :P

============

So far ever since i have taken these initiatives i have been able to completley turn my trip around to a good experiance.

1. Change the music
2. Change the lighting
3. Take a piss
4. Say "Im only feeling this way because im tripping"
5. Talk to my friend (normally i will start a random conversation, this seems to work best)
6. Blow my nose
7. smoke a cigerette (somtimes this can make it worst though be careful if it bothers u put it out)
8. Take a few deep breathes and try to relax yourself...most of all try to think of somthing other than what you are currently thinking about

===========

Actualy now that you mention it, taking a piss works great. Especialy on LSD. I notice that I will forget to piss and can't feel the pressure but my body is uncomfortable some pissing feels like all the bad energy is going out. Especialy if you think about all the bad energy going out as you piss. Afterword I always feel so relaxed and like a whole new trip. Even good trips are made better this way.

=============

[on 7grams] I kept saying "love, love, love, love, love" or "God" or something positive like that in order to steer myself in the right direction, which is pretty amazing because at that point I had lost almost any concept of who I was and where I was. I started saying "you're just on mushrooms Learyfan. It's a drug, and you'll come out of it." I started thinking of people who Learyfan knew in his life, such as all of my best friends and whatnot. I also thought of Shroomism since I remembered he was at the same festival. I also remembered to laugh because I remembered reading that laughing actually counteracts negativity in your body and mind or however that goes, so I tried my best to laugh. All of these things helped.

============

Just go with the flow... When you get the urge to giggle, then giggle, when you get the urge to run in a circle, then run in a circle, when you get the urge to flail your arms and jump up and down then do it. When you get the urge to get naked and climb up to see if theirs a candle in the street light well just dont let yourself get in that situation. My point is dont hold anything back and just have fun. Ooh and you WILL get those anxiety urges so remember thats its unhealthy to repress them durring your trip.

============

if you remember that it is a trip - that you are coming back from - Im sure you'll realise that its like holidays - sometimes they are good, sometimes it rains, but you'll be going home afterwoods either way...

--------------------
Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.
- Carl Gustav Jung

Edited by Psiledehysp (04/15/05 02:28 PM)

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 28. What if I take too much? [Re: Psiledehysp]
    #4059453 - 04/15/05 03:19 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

That's a great post.

Concerning large doses of mushrooms:

WHEN IN DOUBT, WAIT IT OUT!

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflinePsiledehysp
second mushroomto the left
 User Gallery

Loc: inside out
    #4060285 - 04/15/05 06:59 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

And thats a nice way to put it.... even though I allways thought its more like "when in doubt, double the dose!"  :wink:

--------------------
Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.
- Carl Gustav Jung

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 28. What if I take too much? [Re: Psiledehysp]
    #4060311 - 04/15/05 07:09 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Hahahaha... either way, your trip will end in 6 hours.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #4065092 - 04/17/05 09:15 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Anything over 15dry grams puts me to sleep for about 2hrs then I wake up with a VERY strange trip going. like not tripping while tripping my balls off. Feel like I just woke up after little sleep but with visuals and loss of coordination. real danger of pissing myself while asleep over 20g. Too uncoordinated at 30g to crap w/o making a huge mess.
I like to start with 5g and eat another 5-7 in 2hrs.lasts me 8-10 hrs and never too much to enjoy.
WR :wexican:

--------------------
To old for this place

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures