Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMushBus
CURVEBALL MASTER

Mini Casings?
    #3251962 - 10/19/04 04:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ok heres the deal

My buddy kinda screwed up a little bit and mixed his jars around so know he doesnt know which are which (cam, super strain). He was going to do some nice big casings but now he doesnt know if he should mix.

Currently he has 12 wbs quarts, 24 wbs pints, and about 7 pints worth of pf cakes incubating right now.

He still would like a nice yeild so would making one small casing per jar work ok? He has a ton of these little styrofoam bowls that look like they would work perfect.

So would it be better to mix and see what happens?
Or do a whole bunch of mini casings?

Also what would happen if two strains ended up in one casing?

Oh yeah, and he made a experiment honey jar with both strains and it kicked ass over the straight strains jars even though it still was innoced with the same combined amount. He also knocked up a few jars with it.

Any suggestions welcome.

Edited by MushBus (10/19/04 05:06 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblewoodzmun
listening tonature
Re: Mini Casings? [Re: MushBus]
    #3252000 - 10/19/04 04:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I really don't know what to tell you as I have never mixed strains within one casing. I have seen a cake inoculated with two strains and one would dominate not become a hybrid. The mini casings would work but yeild would suffer compared to a bigger casing. Next time keep a sharpie handy and mark them from the start. Good luck.

InvisibleQbanMoJo
Mr. Brightside

Loc: OutSide
Re: Mini Casings? [Re: woodzmun]
    #3252032 - 10/19/04 05:03 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

What I say you do is if you used the BRF PF Tek that you just fruit them like cakes. Then after they grow and you can tell the difference between the two strains that you dunk the cakes, crumble them, then case them. You'll have better results like that then trying to mix two strains in one casing or doing mini casings (which IMO will give you mini shroomz and I do mean mini). Good Luck.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mini Casings? [Re: QbanMoJo]
    #3252816 - 10/19/04 08:15 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Id do what he said. Or get really really small casing containers. There are some mini loaf tin foil pans that come 5 to a pack like 1-2 bucks for the 5..they're like 2 by 5 inches and like 2 inches thick. I make a pint every PC run (my PC holds 9 quarts and a pint) sometimes more for fun (I use rye) and when I case a single pint I split it up into two of these bread pans. Gives you about an inch or a little more of substrate. You get nice full flushes. They're pretty small shrooms but you get about 3-3.5 dry grams from each one (average, some did more or less depending on strain). If you ake mini casings just shrink the length and width of the container, not the thickness of the substrate. You want 1-2 inch (preferable 1.5-1.75 inches) thick substrate with a 1/2"-3/4" casing layer. Sorry I have no pics of the last flush of these..there on the next one now..hopefully I'll remember to get pics this time. I love doing mini casings. Long as you keep the substrate over an inch thick they work out pretty good.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMushBus
CURVEBALL MASTER

Re: Mini Casings? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3253676 - 10/19/04 11:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

cool, my buddy might just try mini casing then.

But will mixing stains in one casing lead to a smaller flush? Would the difference be significant?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mini Casings? [Re: MushBus]
    #3254738 - 10/20/04 03:33 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It could lead to nothing. I've heard soemone claiming that mixing up two strains fruited fine just with different shrooms all over the place but I never saw any proof of that. Most likly, they would compete and either both would do crappy or one would fight off and consume the other. They would basically be contaminates to eachother. Heres a mini casing with probably 1/4 pints worth of substrate. That jar is like a small jar you get minced garlic in..it was something russian in this one but same size jars:

That was 2.8 grams dry and was the first mini casing I ever did. Just keep the container size small and don't make it to thin and you'll do ok. Only a few grams from each casing but better then leaving them as cakes most likly.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation