Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMovingTarget

Loc: temporary
Leaving Earth?
    #3251865 - 10/19/04 04:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Do you think it will be possible some day for humans to colonise another planet?

I doubt it, I think It would only ever be attempted when the state of this earth becomes almost uninhabitable as the cost of resources needed would be immense. Harvesting energy from other planets in this solar system is one possible solution to the resource requirements... But the problem about distance.... I dont believe wormholes are possible, the only way I can picture it being possible would still involve an astronomical amount of G-Force. The time it would take to get to another solar system otherwise would take many lifetimes, putting humans into some kind of sleep stasis is possible, but again I couldnt see this being attempted until there was no other option for the human race...

any ideas?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Leaving Earth? [Re: MovingTarget]
    #3251875 - 10/19/04 04:15 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Knowledge is exponential, as is population growth and technology. Therefore, I would assume that life will survive beyond the earth. Perhaps the drama will play out before the Earth is depleted, but I'd like to think we are integral to the universal experience. Having said that, I think that we'll come up with the technology to terraform or somehow massively transform a planet's atmosphere into an inhabitable environment before we run out of room or resources on this one.

--------------------
You are the microcosm of the macrocosm.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #3251877 - 10/19/04 04:17 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i dont see why we wouldnt...

all it takes is someone with enough money to want to do it.

i can see us populating the moon, and mars... everything else seems ridiculous right now (but i still say we very well could)

America will probably claim manifest destiny when we get on the moon and there will be this big Lunar Frontier business. Then the lunar colonies will be upset about Postage tax that America is placing on emails to and from Lunar colony, and thus begins the new revolution!

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
Re: Leaving Earth? [Re: Todcasil]
    #3251923 - 10/19/04 04:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

A more complex form of genetic pollination, why certainly.

Is it necessary? No.

--------------------

InvisibleMovingTarget

Re: Leaving Earth? [Re: deff]
    #3252103 - 10/19/04 05:22 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I think resources are the biggest problem in colonising other planets, IF we could somehow use harvest energy from another planet then thats a first big step, but some big changes need to be made on earth first. Some big problems need to be solved. Primarily priorities

--------------------

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #3255585 - 10/20/04 12:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

moon, mars, venus, asteroid belt, outer planets & their moons, de kuyper & van oort... this stuff is all "local action"...

constant acceration craft (solar sails, ion drives - current tech) could give us accelerations of 1/1000 to maybe 1/10 G...
and constant boost adds up quickly...
even at 1/100 G, planets like mars would be weeks/months away, and the outer planets months or years (like a couple years to neptune's orbit...)
if a "decent" power source could be found, yielding drives capable of 1G (or better), lune would be hours away, mars would be days away, and even neptune/pluto a few weeks away... obviously, the oort cloud would take a bit longer, but harvesting city-sized icebergs (wanna-be comets) for the CHON could become commercially feasible with a turnaround of a couple/few years...

but, like i said, this is all local action...
even at skew-flip midpoint, maximum velocity for cross-system hops (or even deep-out system drives) would never be much over 1,000,000/hour...

~

now, leave this "miraculous" (as in "where's the fuel?"), constant drive ship boosting for a year or two, and the velocity could easily reach relativistic speeds (to the point where shipboard shielding would have to be rather sophisticated to avoid particle-collision-induced radiation...)

so... at 98% lightspeed, lorentz-fitzgerald effects would alter the relationship of onboard clocks with planetside clocks, hehheh... time dilation & red/blue shift effects would be quite noticable...

~
i say, let's go cruisin'

~
"heute die welt
morgen das sonnensystem"

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Edited by gnrm23 (10/20/04 01:19 PM)

InvisibleMovingTarget

Re: Leaving Earth? [Re: gnrm23]
    #3255607 - 10/20/04 12:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not exactly sure what your main point is... but as I said before, travelling to local planets is quite feasible, but even with unlimited resources... there just seems like too many complications to travelling to other galaxies and solar systems. How would it be organised here on earth when communiation could take years to relay

--------------------

OfflineSoulTech
Automated
    #3255827 - 10/20/04 01:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I think trying to imagine what we will be capable of in 100 years is almost comical, let alone 500 or 1000 years. I mean the rate of development in technology is so rapid and our understanding of this world is so tiny that I think its very likely that we will be capable of planet colonization. A better question might be: Will we annihilate ourselves or will mother nature destroy us before we have the opportunity to colonize other planets or go into deep space.

InvisibleMovingTarget

Re: Leaving Earth? [Re: SoulTech]
    #3255907 - 10/20/04 02:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

We better get our asses in gear if we gonna beat the next lump a rock thats headin our way lol

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology