Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleQbanMoJo
Mr. Brightside

Loc: OutSide
PMP Temp Too High...Ideas?
    #3248103 - 10/12/04 05:02 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hey guys. Searched but couldnt find much on this subject. I just added the Hydroton to day and after putting cold water, putting a temp reader inside, and closing the lids for about 30 minutes the humidity was up to about 90-94% but the temp was at 80F which is 5 degrees more than the ambient temperature. How the hell can I fix this? I noticed that when I would fan it for a couple of seconds it would go down to 76F or so but would raise within 5 minutes. Is there anyway that I could drop the temp? I thought about putting a bucket with ice in there but I would have to replace that who knows how many times. Is there anyway to circulate cold water through tubes like inside a computer? Let me know any ideas. Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend

Loc: The Yard
Re: PMP Temp Too High...Ideas? [Re: QbanMoJo]
    #3248114 - 10/12/04 05:03 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

TD is having a similar problem. The fruiting chamber is just too warm at room temp.....

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

OfflineMushBus
CURVEBALL MASTER

Re: PMP Temp Too High...Ideas? [Re: ricelicker]
    #3248219 - 10/12/04 05:20 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

frozen two liter bottle?

if frozen solid it would take at least a day to thaw and you could have another in the freezer and just switch back and forth.

i think it would be good for at least a 5 degree drop

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: PMP Temp Too High...Ideas? [Re: MushBus]
    #3250724 - 10/13/04 02:08 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If temps are too high that means its like 80 in the chamber...2 liters won't last a day at that temp. They only last like 4-8 hours..

It works but its a pain, especially trying to do it with an even larger chamber.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: PMP Temp Too High...Ideas? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3250784 - 10/13/04 02:36 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

No, no no. Don't put frozen bottle in the tank. It'll kill your humidity.

What you can do is run your AC a bit lower.

Traditionally, inside your closet will hold temperature closer to night temperature all day long. Also, if you have hot air pumps(if you have them at all), they raise the tank temp a degree or two.

I hope you are using an air pump. Then what you can do is this.
It's a tub in tub for the incoming air temp control..

Idea is to bubble the incoming(suction) air to the pump through cold water before letting it go to your pod.

1. Get a large tupperware.
2. Secure a smaller tupper tupperware inside the larger one so it won't move.
3. make a cut on the smaller lid about 2" so you can slide the power plug out.
4. make 20 1/16" holes(you can punch with nails or drill, it's just cosmetics) on the smaller lid.
5. make a cut about 2" long on the larger lid for the power plug.
6. make a hole 1/4" for the a tube on the larger lid.
7. cut a length (about 5" should be more than enough) of air tubing(1/4"OD or just aquarium air bubble tubes)
8. Slide the tube through the larger lid so that it would be almost touching the bottom of the larger tub.
9. Use any hard glue or glue gun(I prefer this) to make a tight seal around the tube where it joins with the lid.
10. Pull the power cord through both lids so that the pump can sit inside the smaller tub.
11. Seal the opening for the power cord on the LARGE lid.
12. put the smaller lid on.
13. Fill the larger tub with 1"-2" of water.
14. Drop some ice in the water.
15. close the larger lid tightly making a good seal. If it leaks, you need to get a different tub.
16. Plug in the pump. You should see air bubbling in though the tubes in the water with a minute.(this won't happen right away. maybe 5-10sec norm)
17. Replace the water and the ice as needed.

NOTE: If your tank becomes too cold, you can use a tank heater in your pod or just raise the temperature by lowering the water level in your pump tank tub so air bubbles through less water. But it should help you drop that 5F easy.

I know.. sounds complicated, but it's not. I'd invest in a 99c glue gun from 99c store if you plan on doing a lot of mods.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: PMP Temp Too High...Ideas? [Re: Sam1912]
    #3250848 - 10/13/04 03:14 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The frozen bottles are fine on the humidity. I know in theory what should happen, but humidification usually keeps up fine in a PMP with a few 2 liter bottles (works best on the outside too so as to not put a cool spot in the chamber).

Problem I see with that is replacing ice. It would thaw quickly..ice water with a bubbler in it will thaw even quicker too. Then the water doesnt go anywhere so you need to pour some out everytime you need to add ice (still every 4-8 hours, probably closer to the 4 side of things because your dealing with ice, more surface area and melts faster then a 2 liter).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3250857 - 10/13/04 03:22 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah.. I was thinking it wouldn't last long with any setup. But with tub, you aren't risking RH drop. If you put outside, you'll be okay. What you really need to drop is the water temperature inside the PMP or incoming air. 5F drop in air temp equates to almost nothing if the water in the PMP is still at 80F. But if you can lower the incoming air for about 6 hours, it'll actually last 8 hours until the temperature of water in the PMP comes back up.

If you put the ice below the pod, you'll have a very fast effect, but it'll drop the temp way down before you know it. So, you have choices... But other than lowing the temp on your thermostat and run AC a bit longer, everything else will require patience and care.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

InvisibleQbanMoJo
Mr. Brightside

#3250871 - 10/13/04 03:32 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Thats a good idea. Well, I got back from work and the PMP was down to 76F while the house was at 75F so I guess my only problem is in the day. I guess I'll just be putting a 2 liter for the day then refreeze and so on even if the humidity drops a little it wont matter to me since I dont want the RH to be higher then 92-93% cause Im gonna be doing casings. Thanks guys.

PS. Picz coming soon.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: PMP Temp Too High...Ideas? [Re: QbanMoJo]
    #3250906 - 10/13/04 03:48 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Using perilite or a PMP humidity stayed at 95%+ (generally 98-99) even with frozen two liter bottles on the inside or outside. It was a small PMP but I think even a larger one would be fine. Especially if doing casings anyway. And theres always misting.

What would be nice is some sort of cooling device in a tub full of water with your chamber being the tub inside..kinda like a tub in tub incubator but a cooler instead of a heater. I'm not sure what sort of device would work for that though...

Hell I think I'm just gonna have AC installed into my closet....

Yeah get them pics! *Cracks whip* The scat man wants mycop0rn!

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3250913 - 10/13/04 03:53 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You know.. If you lower the temp of the incoming air, the water temp follows eventually.

You know those liquid cooled CPU fans... maybe an improvised one like that will work. It'd still have to use liquid/gas other than air and water, so it'd be fairly difficult to make and maintain... I'll try to think of something, though... probably come up with something then ask for help simplifying it.

Sam

--------------------

InvisibleQbanMoJo
Mr. Brightside

#3250922 - 10/13/04 03:58 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Using perilite or a PMP humidity stayed at 95%+ (generally 98-99) even with frozen two liter bottles on the inside or outside. It was a small PMP but I think even a larger one would be fine. Especially if doing casings anyway. And theres always misting.

What would be nice is some sort of cooling device in a tub full of water with your chamber being the tub inside..kinda like a tub in tub incubator but a cooler instead of a heater. I'm not sure what sort of device would work for that though...

Hell I think I'm just gonna have AC installed into my closet....

Yeah get them pics! *Cracks whip* The scat man wants mycop0rn!

You know thats a pretty good idea. Only one problem the "Tub" would have to be bigger than my 108 liter chamber :grin: . I think it will do fine. I'll have to see in the daytime. Some type of CPU fan would be cool but Im too lazy to figure out how to make it work. Thanks for your help and ideas.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3250931 - 10/13/04 04:01 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah water coolers for CPUs is what made me think about it before..it could be done with a smaller chamber if it were an issue. A buddy of mine has a few water cooled CPUs and said it wouldn't be too difficult thinking back he mentioned all the water being contained in the system pushed through hoses b some pump that cooled the water too. If you ran that pump in a tub below the chamber you could have a tub in tub that cools...

Still doesnt help my closet though.. But I think my heat comes from things in my closet so maybe I could just watercool my humidifers and fans and HEPA and maybe even the lights. HMM That all could help alot. Damn closet gets like 10-20 degrees warmer then my room with everything running in it after a few hours.

--------------------

Invisiblenotsloth
Stranger

#3251022 - 10/19/04 10:03 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You can buy a little thermoelectric device for less than $30 that will run on 12V, that in combination with some PC watercooling gear could probably be used to make a tub-in-tub PMP. I havent tried it yet though.

My biggest problem is the electronics. I'm not sure a simple timer to run the peltier/pump would do it as I need a 5-10F drop during the day, but at night the temps are about right without any external cooling anyway.

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: PMP Temp Too High...Ideas? [Re: notsloth]
    #3251036 - 10/19/04 10:10 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Get a cooler. Fill it with 2 liter bottles of ice. Put your air pump in there. Drill a hole for the tube to run from that to your PMP.

Nice cool air.

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: PMP Temp Too High...Ideas? [Re: Citric]
    #3251038 - 10/19/04 10:13 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

This is really an old post. I have a list of ideas I've typing up. I'll post a series of post this in the near future.

Sam

--------------------

Invisiblenotsloth
Stranger

#3252442 - 10/19/04 04:45 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

>> I have a list of ideas I've typing up. I'll post a series of post this in the near future.

I look forward to it :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom