Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineqwon
destroying angel
potency lost in the drying process??
    #3250576 - 10/13/04 01:32 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Number 2 for the evening:

I like to dry them in a brown paper bag sitting in between the burners on my stove. The burners are off, and directly below the bag on the stove top is where the pilot light is...thus it isn't too hot especially if the bag isn't touching the metal stove top. It heats the bag up nicely. Often I will even leave them in a brown paper bag that has holes in it for a few days until they are crisp.

IS THERE A PROBLEM WITH MY PROCESSSS?
thanks
qwon

--------------------
'I'm the commander see, I don't need to explain, I do not need to
explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the president.
Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something,
but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation.'
- George W. Bush

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: potency lost in the drying process?? [Re: qwon]
    #3250612 - 10/13/04 01:41 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

what if there is a spike in the gas pressure line and then.. poof! Fire!!! Fire!!!

Lost of chemicals come from mainly oxidation of the chemicals. And there is a small amount of that going on in fresh mushrooms. I'd think keeping it in a non-ventilated and warm compartment would only accelerate this process. Since it's not well ventilated, time it takes to dry them would also be much higher. Ventilation is more effective IMHO than low heat.

Have you ever hung wet laundry outside in the winter's freezing temperatures? Clothes still dry because moisture is still picked up by the bone dry air at freezing temperatures fairly well, even if the clothes freeze a bit.

I say, just spend 5 bucks and get some damp-rid. Faster, easier, no risk of fire, no risk of losing potency, reusable, concealable, etc...

Just my 2 cents

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
Re: potency lost in the drying process?? [Re: Sam1912]
    #3250670 - 10/13/04 01:52 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

^^^ some the heat will cut down the potency

--------------------

Offlineqwon
destroying angel
Re: potency lost in the drying process?? [Re: aussieone]
    #3250675 - 10/13/04 01:53 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

:thumbup:
damp rid it is then
thanks guys

--------------------
'I'm the commander see, I don't need to explain, I do not need to
explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the president.
Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something,
but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation.'
- George W. Bush

Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Re: potency lost in the drying process?? [Re: qwon]
    #3250711 - 10/13/04 02:04 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

you can dry them out with a fan blowing directly on them, it will take about 3-4 days thou

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3250720 - 10/13/04 02:06 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

In the long run, it'd be cheaper to pay for gas(for recharing) than it would be to pay electricity. I bet it pays for itself within first 6 months.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

#3250741 - 10/13/04 02:16 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

a little fan doesnt cost that much to run does it ??

--------------------

Offlinepshawny
Mycobian
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomery
    #3250753 - 10/13/04 02:22 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I prefer silica gel over damprid. It's easier to work with, recharge, etc.

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: potency lost in the drying process?? [Re: pshawny]
    #3250795 - 10/13/04 02:41 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

fans use a lot of electricity. If you run for 3 days per flush, 5 flushes a month, that'll add up quick. probably couple of dollars a month. 6 month.. that'd be $12. That's damp rid and all the gas you use for drying them for few years.

Sam

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3250861 - 10/13/04 03:24 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Damp rid can only be reused a few times though..then you need to buy more. And if your talking drying the same amount (though 5 flushes per month isn't gonna happen :smile: ) then your gonna be running through damp rid fast (even recharging it). Damp rid isn't very effective if the shrooms aren't fan dried first and if used alone will most likly need to be changed in the middle of drying each flush. Generally the best way to go about it is to fan dry for 24 hours then desiccant for another 24. This will get them cracker dry and not have you running through tons of desiccant a month.

That said, mild heat below 125 shouldn't be a problem drying your mushies. I would cut holes in the bag though, as Sam said, you'd want ventilation. The water has to go somewhere. I might also put a fan blowing over the bag..it should force the damp air in the bag out. You could also throw some paper towels or newspaper at the bottom of the bag to help with the process. Using heat you do get some potency loss but drying period your get some potency loss. There is much question if the loss is much different using mild heat or not. Either way, I nor anyone I know can tell the difference between shrooms on my dehydrator or ones dried using a fan/desiccant method.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom