Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCaseyHook
Arkanshroom
 User Gallery
Loc: Arkansas, United States
Identification Inquery.
    #3249508 - 10/12/04 11:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

So today, I went with two friends of mine to a local cow field that we've recently found. The conditions for the past couple of daysaround the area varied from about 55 degrees for the low, and about 77 degrees for the high. The humidity level was about 77 percent, and there had been heavy rainfall. We went into the field first while it was still misting a little outside, and found several species of mushroom, none resembling the one we were after, the Psilocybe Cubensis...but today, we returned under a little sunlight, and we found about 7 mushrooms that we believe are Psilocybe Cubensis. The mushrooms were found growing out of cow dung in little tufts of grass throughout a more open part of the field. The mushrooms bruise blue, but, because of their size, the stalks arent TOO large, and the blueing is a little less than what I expected. However, there is definately blue. The spore prints on all of the caps dropped to be a blackish/slight purple color. The caps range in size from 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter; so, as you can see, we found some young ones. The caps look pretty much like a nipple, with the center being the darkest spot (dark brown) and fading out to the edge with a golden color. We will upload a picture as soon as possible, but if anymore information is needed, I will be happy to post what I can. If anyone has any suggestions, please let them be known. Also, tomorrow's forcast for the field (which is located in central Arkansas) is sunny. Anyway, thanks and like I said, if you can help any, it would be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
Re: Identification Inquery. [Re: CaseyHook]
    #3249729 - 10/13/04 12:12 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Do your mushrooms have a purple/dark veil?

OfflineCaseyHook
Arkanshroom
 User Gallery
Loc: Arkansas, United States
Re: Identification Inquery. [Re: Gumby]
    #3249803 - 10/13/04 12:22 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

There were purplish/black veils on all of the mushrooms, but they were extremely wet from the rain, so some were torn a little, but yes, they did. In handling, and carelessness because this was our first time looking really hard, etc. we treated the mushrooms kind of badly, and the veils tore off of some...

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Identification Inquery. [Re: CaseyHook]
    #3250059 - 10/13/04 01:12 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

That sounds like P. cubensis to me. I've seen cultivated ones that get really fatassed stems from too much water, this also seems to weaken the potency, and hence the reduced bluing reaction. I imagine the same phenomenon can be caused by soggy conditions while they are growing in the field.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification