Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDHJH
Lurker

Loc: On a mountain
Casing newb here, getting small fruits, looking for advice. (pics)
    #3249488 - 10/12/04 11:29 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I've grown some decent sized shrooms off of cakes. Here is my first real go at a casing. These are the smallest fruits I have ever had, just wondering if you guys can help me to possibly get some bigger fruits with these other casings I got going.

Here are the fruits. 1qt colonized popcorn cased to coir/verm, incubated for another week. (There are 2 of these casings but only one pic) RH is 90-95%, temp. is about 80 degrees, I live in Az so I can't really get this down. They are in a PMP so I don't fan.

Here are a couple more that I put in the PMP today. Top one is popcorn, bottom one is wheat berries. I'm really hoping these fruits come out bigger, I gave them a good misting before putting them in PMP. I know cakes get dunked before birthing, is this important with casings, I'm sure there is moisture lost during colonization. Also do guys coldshock your casings?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Casing newb here, getting small fruits, looking for advice. (pics) [Re: DHJH]
    #3249505 - 10/12/04 11:33 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Water content is the biggest factor in shroom size.

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Casing newb here, getting small fruits, looking for advice. (pics) [Re: DHJH]
    #3249507 - 10/12/04 11:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i think you should still fan even in a PMP unless you're sure your pump is strong enough to replace all that air quick enough.

how deep is your substrate? thin substrate can cause small fruits.

do you keep your casing moist? not wet, but moist... low moisture content could do it too.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinebemmers1
friend of afriendly farmer
    #3249509 - 10/12/04 11:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I have never used a pmp personally, but my biggest concern for your setup is a lack of air exchange.  Thet look healyth, but CO2 built up from not being aerated will cause your zooms to abort, be small, and/or have thin stems.  However, not sure how air exchange works with yoiur setup, hope this helps :smile:

Offlinedjxkon
MycoPimp
 User Gallery
Re: Casing newb here, getting small fruits, looking for advice. (pics) [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3249534 - 10/12/04 11:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

From my experience I get bigger fruits with better air exchange, I dont keep my casing in any chamber and i stopped using pair pumps.

I mist once a day and keep the cover 1/2 off. when I have left them covered and used an air pump, they grew small and deformed.

--------------------
Ravers don't Fall, They Trip and Roll!

OfflineEstario
Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Re: Casing newb here, getting small fruits, looking for advice. (pics) [Re: djxkon]
    #11968010 - 02/05/10 12:32 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

djxkon said:
From my experience I get bigger fruits with better air exchange, I dont keep my casing in any chamber and i stopped using pair pumps.

I mist once a day and keep the cover 1/2 off. when I have left them covered and used an air pump, they grew small and deformed.

I have simmilar issue. Is really bad air exchange the issue?
Here is how mine look like.

--------------------
All Of RR's Notes On Mushroom Cultivation Forum - a must read
:alert: Everything I post is completely fictitious, and for your amusement only. All the pictures I post are either photoshopped or ripped from the internet. Whenever i trade for spores it is for examining the spores under microscopes to see their characteristics. There is no reason why I would ever want to nor will I grow mushrooms containing psilocybin. :alert:

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing newb here, getting small fruits, looking for advice. (pics) [Re: Estario]
    #11968038 - 02/05/10 12:36 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Estario said:
Quote:

djxkon said:

I have simmilar issue. Is really bad air exchange the issue?
Here is how mine look like.

:facepalm:

You just quoted a 5 year old thread

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation