Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
would you do it?
    #3249324 - 10/12/04 09:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

stupid little question

lets say you knew , KNEW that you could achieve transcendent enlightenment (christ conciousness/buddhahood) on the condition that you remain abstinent for the rest of your entire life, NO sex, (you can still jack off) and NO drugs, of any kind, no booze either.

those of you who say that ascenscion is your prime desire in life, do you really mean it? could you give up those pleasures for enlightenment?

not sayin you actually have to in real life (although some people say you do)

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: would you do it? [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3249361 - 10/12/04 09:11 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

No, I wouldn't. The way you're putting it.. it just sounds like you have to have a shit life and then boom, when you're eighty or something you get "enlightened" for a few short years before death.. what a shitty deal.

The thing is, I don't see it being very useful giving up sex and drugs if those requirements aren't part of a greater system or method you're using for personal development. And if they are, then that method better be worthwhile, and if it is, then you'll prefer it in the long term to a life of druggin' an' sexin' and then it doesn't matter whether or not when you're eighty years old you do .. things that enlightened people do... forealdawg

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#3249367 - 10/12/04 09:12 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

also as enlightenment is hard to come by on this forum I refuse to engage in any kind of discussion on what it takes to achieve enlightenment.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: would you do it? [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3249409 - 10/12/04 09:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

like i said i dont believe at all that abstinence is nescessary for enlightenment, im just wondering if people on this forum would be willing to make that kind of sacrafice for knowledge/transcendent truth.

And im not saying you have to have a shit life, you could probably still have a great one, just no drugs or sex
:smirk:

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #3249423 - 10/12/04 09:21 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I HAVE become celibate for a couple of years at a time and it only increased the power that sexuality had over me. I couldn't even walk through a mall with my Dad at one point, or watch TV sitcoms that centered on a beautiful woman (I remember the show 'Bosom Buddies' for example). Then, when a crazy girl I knew would throw stones at my window at 2:00 AM, and I'd let her into my parent's house, I'd succumb to her seduction and then feel like I'd broken a sacred vow to myself and GOD (though it was really just a spiritualized ego-trip and a record broken). No, Tibetan Lamas, Orthodox priests, Protestant ministers, Jewish rabbis, Muslim holymen and women are all permitted or expected to be in a male-female relationship. Not 10 minutes ago did I complete conjugal relations (no kidding! She passed out and here I am). Celibacy made me quite ill at times. In seminary, I got migraines from Friday night til Sunday night as the inner battle with my drives commenced. It wasn't the celibacy that taught me anything, it was the solitude, the lack of an intimate, the 10 hour acid trips alone in cold, NJ woodlands in November struggling to find the point for existence. No regular girlfriend would've put up with my search-for-meaning-trip. Sex was sporadic, followed by guilt (no real love involved) and upsetting, though I found that I didn't want to live without it. I also found that sexuality does NOT prevent Enlightenment.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: would you do it? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #3249612 - 10/12/04 09:54 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

you are fucking nuts everytime you write something about your past I think that. You're crazy, you've done a lot of really weird crazy things and.. you're nuts

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: would you do it? [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3249636 - 10/12/04 09:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:
you are fucking nuts everytime you write something about your past I think that. You're crazy, you've done a lot of really weird crazy things and.. you're nuts

cause there is only ONE way of doing things right?  :wink:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #3249664 - 10/12/04 10:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

sure, why not

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3249737 - 10/12/04 10:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, I would do it.  I think.  :grin:

The "no sex" part kind of has me troubled.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: would you do it? [Re: kaiowas]
    #3249770 - 10/12/04 10:17 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

cause there is only ONE way of doing things right?
says who?

Offlinetnecseda
birther to none
Re: would you do it? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #3249812 - 10/12/04 10:23 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i think thats awsome

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

Re: would you do it? [Re: tnecseda]
    #3249898 - 10/12/04 10:41 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

hmmmm ... that's a difficult question...

I suppose I'd rather have a life of fun though. No point in being enlightened if I wasn't able to live my life to its utmost potential

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #3249965 - 10/12/04 10:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

No, because I know that such things can be achieved without refraining from immersing yourself in life. To experience what life has to offer enlightens one to perspectives, feelings and thoughts inherent in those experiences. Transcendent experiences can be found in any place, in any activity, from the most mundane act such as brushing your teeth to the most rapturous activity of making love and a child in an act of total ego dissolution, losing yourself in another for eternity (only to return to a moment). It's all good. Following the path of others (such as those who practice abstinence) is not the same as finding your own path - the way is where you find it, formulas are for infants.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineSoulTech
Automated
    #3249998 - 10/12/04 11:00 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, definitely! I know I could do it, almost sounds like a bargain.

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

Re: would you do it? [Re: SoulTech]
    #3250086 - 10/12/04 11:21 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

A thousand times no.

I would welcome that sort of enlightenment but only if it was honest and real.

To believe that the ideal state of existence is one without sex or drugs.. that's foolish. I'm sure some would argue about the sex part and many would argue about the drug part, but to them I say.. meh.

Obsession to sex and obsession to drugs are bad, yes. Sure, they'll cloud any journey towards enlightenment.
Denying one's self something is giving in to one's weakness. Admitting that you are too weak to defeat obsession with pleasure.
Nope.. I'm going to keep using drugs and having sex. I'll get back to you when I'm enlightened.

Not to say I do either very often. It's been over a year? Hell maybe it's been over two years now, since I've had sex, and two months since I've smoked pot, and about a year and a half since I've tripped. Horrible, I know.. I'm so bad at being a degenerate.

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom