Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: You Can't Prove A Negative [Re: deff]
    #3247420 - 10/12/04 03:22 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

"I would hardly call this repeatedly having the burden of proof placed on me."

ok cool then, i seem to recall diploid and others really raggin on you about this topic, but now i think about it i think that was truekimbo, who has started some threads about this, so maybe thats who diploid is confusing you with as well

"I would have to be one very trusting and/or wealthy person to spend time and money to try and "prove" something as obvious as this is to me. I really don't care if anyone fucking knows about it, as I know it, and that is all that matters, to me. Erase my mention of said ability from your memory if it annoys you as much as you imply :/ "

thats all i was trying to say.

Seriously though if you ever get good enough at it and feel generous, you should go demonstrate it, it would be a great favour to science and humanity!

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: You Can't Prove A Negative [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3247504 - 10/12/04 03:54 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

not that i disagree with you exactly, but why does the burden of proof fall on deff?

Because I, the skeptic, cannot prove that he doesn't have magical powers. That's what this thread is all about. There is no evidence I could present that would falsify his claim. My hands are tied in this respect.

So, that leaves the only other participant, him, to provide evidence supporting his claim.

Since I cannot, and he will not, support or refute his claim, then why does he childishly keep making it? Without his support no progress can be made beyond him saying "I can too!" and me saying "You can't either!" like two kids in a playground.

If he's not going to back up his blatherings, then he should take them out of my thread and post them in OTD where that kind of discourse is par for the course.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
Re: You Can't Prove A Negative [Re: Diploid]
    #3247745 - 10/12/04 05:27 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Do you mean negative as in something wrong? If so, then nobody can say. Because everything just is. And right, wrong, positive, negative, good, bad are only conceptual and only apply dualism. Therefore your question just is, nothing more. Same goes for what I say here.
As for proof of what I say, it's right in from of you.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: You Can't Prove A Negative [Re: Northernsoul]
    #3247862 - 10/12/04 05:55 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Do you mean negative as in something wrong?

No. I'm not making a moral comment.

Here's what I'm saying. If you claim something, and if there is no conceivable evidence I can present that would invalidate your claim, then your claim is meaningless. A test that cannot be failed tests nothing.

Can you think of any evidence whatsoever that I could conceivably present that would conclusively prove to you that no one can perform telekinesis? Probably not.

No matter what evidence I present exposing someone for a fraud, you can always claim that one particular guy is a fraud, but someone else not addressed by my evidence is genuine. See what I'm getting at?

Exposing a million self-proclaimed telekinetics as frauds doesn't preclude number one million and one from being genuine.

However, just a single genuine telekinetic demonstrating his powers in a controlled setting would invalidate my exposure of a million frauds.

To resolve the conflict finally and conclusively, the claimant has only to demonstrate the power ONCE, the skeptic has to demonstrate fraud in infinitely many non-demonstrating telekinetics around the world now and in the future.

This is why it's up to the claimant to support his claim, not up to the skeptic to invalidate it.

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #3247874 - 10/12/04 05:59 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

"This is why it's up to the claimant to support his claim, not up to the skeptic to invalidate it. "

because this is a forum for philosophical discussion and this thread particularly is focused on philosophy, and philosophy has certain rules of etiquette, such as not proposing a conclusion without supporting it on valid and demonstratable premises, i must concede that in this thread at least, diploid is being fair in demanding that deff either 'put up or shut up' about this particular issue.

:smirk:

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Offlinedeff
mysticlove
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: You Can't Prove A Negative [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3247921 - 10/12/04 06:17 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

(i chose shut up :smile:)

--------------------

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
    #3248002 - 10/12/04 06:39 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Who it is up to, to prove any sort of claim, is relative to the person looking at the issue.
If something exists or not, is completely up to (in this case) the person viewing.
You can have 900 people and have 300 say real, 300 say not real, and 300 say they dont know. You can multiply that by a million, billion, trillion and it still wont make it any less or more real to the single individual (such as yourself) who belives or doesnt belive in this.

If someone can proove "without a doubt" that it exists, youll have a billion different beleifs to contend with, and no matter how well they "proove" something, some people will just flatly deny it exists still.

Sometimes this really sucks, especialy when authority figures deny something that is particularily evident, true, or popularly seen as existant. But theres nothing you can do but just see the situation as it is because trying to proove that there is only ONE single formula as to who prooves what, would be an exhausting task to take on because there will always be a contradiction no matter what you come up with (proof wise, or view wise). Just tell it how you see it, and others will tell u how they see it. It sucks hearning the other persons view, but the better you can drop ALL views together, the better off u (we) will be, and the less agonizing you might feel towards alternate views.

In short: It's only up to you if you want to care about what other views are. Be be prepared to never be happy.

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: You Can't Prove A Negative [Re: Northernsoul]
    #3248061 - 10/12/04 06:54 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

In short: It's only up to you if you want to care about what other views are.

If I didn't care about other views, I wouldn't be here.

As for the rest, don't tell me you own the Brooklyn Bridge unless you're prepared to show me the deed.

--------------------
Republican Values:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder