Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hookah, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHughHefner
No, Really!! I'mHugh Hefner
Loc: Middle of the Ocean
Glass or Plastic Jars?
    #3247326 - 10/12/04 03:02 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Hello all

First I would like to thank you for all the input I have gathered reading this board. I haven't posted yet cause I was able to find almost all the answers I need here. I just got everything I need to start my first mushroom project. I do have one question that I would like to ask. Which do you prefer, glass or plastic jars? I already got the plastic ones but noticed that almost everyone uses glass. Are there problems with the plastic ones? I ordered the 1/2 pint plastic canning jars with lids from mycosupply.com. Thank for the help

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Glass or Plastic Jars? [Re: HughHefner]
    #3247345 - 10/12/04 03:05 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

I have a mix. I think some plastics will melt in PC(pressure cooker). But I believe #5 plastic will work. personally, I didn't use PC. I used a steamer so I was okay with the ones I had.

Also, drill the holes, not punch it.

Welcome to the Shroomery! Good luck

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3247393 - 10/12/04 03:15 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Glass is best . Reusable , will not melt , easier to make sure clean between uses .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: Glass or Plastic Jars? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3247415 - 10/12/04 03:21 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

There is nothing you can't do with plastic that you can with glass. They are reusable, won't melt at temperatures we deal with, and easy to make sure they are clean(soak in bucket of bleach water for 10 min). At least IMHO, that is.

Glass is a lot easier to see through though. Makes purtier pictures.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Glass or Plastic Jars? [Re: Sam1912]
    #3247460 - 10/12/04 03:38 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Plastic IMHO after ahwile gets hazy from exposure to bleach(glass can to if not carefull) and and abrassive items rubbing against it i.e "grains" , scruby pads , tools , thus leaving little pits vallies and scratches that can possibly harbor nasties .
Plastic also has a tendency , in my exp to collapse during cooling process after pc , from the vaccum that forms from hot air cooling .....
And yeah pics are far superior  :wink:
Glass smoking utensils are best also IMHO  :thumbup:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: Glass or Plastic Jars? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3247470 - 10/12/04 03:41 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

HOOKAH!!!

--------------------

OfflineHughHefner
No, Really!! I'mHugh Hefner
Loc: Middle of the Ocean
    #3249197 - 10/12/04 10:44 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Thanks for the help. I've read everything I could get my hands on and even built a small plastic sterile room in the basement to work in. Wish me luck, my first try.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glass or Plastic Jars? [Re: Sam1912]
    #3249288 - 10/12/04 11:00 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Sam1912 said:
I have a mix.  I think some plastics will melt in PC(pressure cooker).  But I believe #5 plastic will work.  personally, I didn't use PC. I used a steamer so I was okay with the ones I had.

Also, drill the holes, not punch it.

Welcome to the Shroomery!  Good luck

Sam

Not all #5 plastics are autoclavable!  :frown:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Glass or Plastic Jars? [Re: hyphae]
    #3249301 - 10/12/04 11:02 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Yeah I found that out the hard way

The past few months a spawned a few ideas using plastic. But in this person opinion. GLASS WORKS THE BEST

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Anonymous

Re: Glass or Plastic Jars? [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3717981 - 02/02/05 07:54 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I need a link to buy plastic 1/2 pint jars on line. Or plastic lids that can be prwessure cooker resistent for my Ball 1/2 regular jars

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Glass or Plastic Jars? [Re: cuatiklad]
    #3718283 - 02/02/05 10:58 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

cuatiklad said:
I need a link to buy plastic 1/2 pint jars on line. Or plastic lids that can be prwessure cooker resistent for my Ball 1/2 regular jars

Sporeworks sells plastic lids for jars that are safe in PC and AC .

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hookah, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation