Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Loc: Doldrums & Faultlines
Ready to birth
    #3246843 - 10/12/04 10:51 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ok guys this is the deal. I will be ready to birth the cakes in about 2 days. I know this because my cakes are about 90-95% covered with myc. My question is (and Im just making sure), I pull the lids off in my case aluminum foil. I add some distilled water to the jar put them in the fridge for about 12 hours, then pull them out roll them in verm(should I sterilize the verm?)and birth them in the PMP?
I have 3 bins one is the PF tek with the coke bottles. One is the Perlite no bubble wands (Its already stabilized) and another has bubble wand and perlite. So Which end do I put on the bottom The original verm layered end? and My other question is: My lids are solid white and I painted the bins black to avoid pinning from the side. Can I just cover them up and expect fruit or do I have to cut holes in the lid, cover with plastic and light them for 12/12 hours??
Does this sound good?? Is this considered Inducing fruiting??

Recap:
1. Do I sterilize verm?
2. Which end of the cake do I birth?
3. Should I cut a hole and light or not
4. Is this good induction of fruiting??

Thanks you guys for all your help
:grin: :mushroom2:  :tongue: :laugh: :mushroom2: :grin:

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

Traveller, there is no path, paths are made by walking

If Jesus was jewish...Why does he have a mexican name??

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Ready to birth [Re: oddiseus]
    #3246882 - 10/12/04 11:04 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Okay, first, good job, YaY!

Second... don't birth in 2 days. Birth 2-4 days AFTER 100% colonized depending on your incubating condition.

scrape some of the old verm(just dry verm not mycelium) off before you dunk/cold shock. Also, cold shock for 12-24 hours. I tried to be patient but gave in after 18.

Don't put holes in your perlite pod. It'll totally ruin your RH. I don't think it really matters if you painted the sides or not. They'll still grow. You'll need to make the lid transparent somehow. I'd get a plexi and cut out a hole in the lid(about 12"x5") and use a glue gun or strong duct tape to stick it on tightly. Time on lighting is a bit controversial... but 12on/12off will make anyone happy here at this stage. Make sure you fan and mist your perlite pod often. More the marrier on fanning.

Also, you didn't mention the temperature. Keep it at 75F if you can. If not, 73-76, or if you can do that, 70-76. Good luck to you!

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: Ready to birth [Re: Sam1912]
    #3246922 - 10/12/04 11:15 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Damn.. i didn't answer most of your questions...

1. Yes. Sterilize by putting it in a microwavable container and some water. Nuke for 5-8 minutes.

2. Doesn't matter. If you dunk/coldshock/roll, you can double side cake as well. For convience and less handling, you can birth onto some wet steril verm and put amble amount of wet steril verm on top.

3. Yes. Make a large enough hole you can cover with clear plexiglass.

4. Yes. Use of light, temperature and gas exchange is very good pinning strategy.

There you go. Many monster mushie wishies to ya.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

#3247370 - 10/12/04 01:10 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Awesome thanks for the help.
Another question I was thinking of just as I was siliconing plexiglass over my bins lid is: How long should I spray with a formula of water and H2O2 before or and after I birth the cakes?
I mean should I spray until they pin??

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3247407 - 10/12/04 01:18 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If you dunk/roll, you need to spray it down after you roll. Then keep your humidity in the tank high and let it be. If you have to fan every few hours, lightly mist until you see mycelium growing out. Then stop misting. It's almost like casing. Moist not wet.

If you double end case, you can keep the verm on top and bottom a bit moist. It's not needed though. I had hyphae(spiny growth, you'll know what i'm talking about soon) growing on the cake 1 day after birth. Take care of them like your babies.

If you are worried about misting mycelium too much, just mist down the verm after birth and let them be. You'll have plenty moisture from the air to get a good first flush. Then you can dunk again after that. Just keep your humidity as high as you can.

Oh yeah.. one more time... Moist verm, not wet. No water on the mycelium.

Sam

--------------------

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

#3247419 - 10/12/04 01:22 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Im still confused on double end casing. Do you mean dont scrape off the layer of verm that came out of the jar?? Can you send a pic of a double casing by chance.

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3247437 - 10/12/04 01:31 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Arg.. Double ended casing just means you have moist vermiculite on top and bottom after birth. Best I can do is a webcam... wife took the camera with her to LA.

It's really simple to do.

-open jars
-scrape off loose dry vermiculite from top of the jar(don't scrape hard, do it very gently. It's okay if there's some excess verm on it).
-fill with water to the top.
-add a capful of peroxide
-cap and keep in fridge.
-wait 12-24 hours.
-On foil or something, lay down some damp(it could be fairly wet), sterile vermiculite.
-birth the jar directly onto the damp vermiculite.
-sprinkle on damp vermiculite and press down on it lightly.(about1/4 to 1/2 inch) would be sufficient.
-wait until the pod RH stablizes and spray lightly and directly on the top verm layer.(just couple of squeezes)

That's it. Let it ride from there. If you keep the RH high in the pod, there will be no moisture loss to evaporation from any verm. All the moisture on them will be available to make shrooms.

Good luck.

Sam

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3247448 - 10/12/04 01:35 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hey... look at the post about PFTek-pinning. I posted pic of my cake there.

Sam

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3247508 - 10/12/04 01:55 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Just to confuse things more ..... :eek:
3. Yes. Make a large enough hole you can cover with clear plexiglass.

Use "LEXAN" it holds up to humidity better than plexi -glass .

Sorry Sam ...... :stoned: Details  :wink:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: Ready to birth [Re: tripndicular]
    #3247522 - 10/12/04 02:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

NP, tripndicular.  I just said plexi-glass because everyone knows plexi.  "Lexan"  :thumbup:

Sam

--------------------

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

#3247873 - 10/12/04 03:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I thought of another question while I was trying to configuer the light.
1. What distance should I have the light from the hole in my lid.
I think I read something about not shinning it directly on the pmp but I've also seen some just set the light right on top of the chamber. What would you recommend. I think the light Im using is a reptile light that has U.V. is this bad??

--------------------

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
    #3247888 - 10/12/04 04:04 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Does one need to dunk using distilled water or will bottled water/tap water work fine?

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Re: Ready to birth [Re: MoneyAddyct]
    #3248559 - 10/12/04 06:36 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

sorry..... bump

--------------------

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

#3248578 - 10/12/04 06:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

well you should wait one week after there 100%

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3249512 - 10/12/04 09:34 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MoneyAddyct said:
Does one need to dunk using distilled water or will bottled water/tap water work fine?

Always dunk with "clean" water distilled comes very clean and works just fine.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
Re: Ready to birth [Re: hyphae]
    #3249576 - 10/12/04 09:45 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Where can I buy distilled water?

Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
    #3249606 - 10/12/04 09:52 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ah, therein lies the challenge. Distilled water is a rar commodity these days. Some going to the ends of the Earth to locate a precious few drops... </sarcasm>

Readily available at supermarkets, Wal-Marts... you name it.

Cheers!

--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Re: Ready to birth [Re: daywalker]
    #3249693 - 10/12/04 10:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

But what about the lights??

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3249953 - 10/12/04 10:51 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

No UV.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3250395 - 10/13/04 12:49 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Distance from the pod for lighting is really not that important. You just don't want it too close to affect the terrarium's environment(i.e. temperature, humdity, etc.)

And distilled water is not sterile. since you are going to be sterilizing anyways, there's really no need for distilled water, just don't use water from your pool. If you still feel like you need water other than tap water, buy some cheap spring water from the machines. Two dimes per gallon at most places.

Good luck

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom