Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Fatal hallucinogen arrives in NSW
    #3246107 - 10/12/04 03:24 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200409/s1210618.htm

A South Australian drug expert says anyone knowingly taking a new party drug that goes by the name of Red Mitsubishi would have to be an idiot.

The hallucinogen is believed responsible for up to 11 deaths in South Australia and it is surfaced recently in New South Wales, causing a series of collapses and one near fatality.

Dr David Caldicott, an emergency research fellow at Royal Adelaide Hospital, says it is a very dangerous drug.

"The temperature goes up and a wide variety of organ systems begin to fail, includes the heart, includes the lungs, kidneys," he said.

"So it can rather unfortunately take quite some time to pass away."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Fatal hallucinogen arrives in NSW [Re: Anno]
    #3246111 - 10/12/04 03:25 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/05/1096949514409.html?oneclick=true

A teenage girl died in Sydney at the weekend from a suspected overdose of a drug mistaken by users for ecstasy.

The so-called "red Mistubishi" pills emerged after a series of overdoses in Sydney and one death in Adelaide. Several Sydney users had been hospitalised after apparently taking the drug in recent weeks.

The 19-year-old woman from western Sydney fell ill after apparently taking half a tablet last Friday. She was taken to Nepean Hospital where she died on Sunday, police said yesterday.

Medical experts had issued warnings about para-methoxyamphetamine (PMA), marketed as red Mitsubishi, before Saturday night's Sleaze Ball amid fears of its widespread use at a dance party attended by several thousand people.

A PMA user almost died at St Vincent's a fortnight ago. Doctors fought to resuscitate him in the hospital's intensive care ward.

"We got him around but it was touch-and-go there for at least 24 hours," the director of emergency services, Gordian Fulde, told the Herald last week.

As with a handful of other overdose victims treated over the past two weeks, he believes the man had taken the hallucinogen, which increases blood pressure, temperature and pulse rates.

"When it goes bad it acts very differently on the patient than any of the other [recreational] drugs. None of the other ones melt you down like that," Professor Fulde said. "Basically what happens is you just cook from inside. The actual machinery inside each cell just melts down and bursts and that is the end of it."

Professor Fulde said yesterday that the feared influx of users from the Sleaze Ball had not materialised. While "we got a whole swag of people who were worried that they had taken red Mitsubishis, it turned out they hadn't and none went to intensive care".

The director of the alcohol and drug service at St Vincent's, Alex Wodak, said that because the blackmarket drug manufacturing was inherently unreliable, testing kits were worth trialing.

"We should be doing whatever we can to try and prevent these deaths," Dr Wodak said.

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Fatal hallucinogen arrives in NSW [Re: Anno]
    #3247121 - 10/12/04 02:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the warning... I've seen Mitsubishi's before, but never red.

The news report said "half a tablet" killed em... Is that possible, assuming that a "tablet" is a normal sized pill?

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Fatal hallucinogen arrives in NSW [Re: Adamist]
    #3247235 - 10/12/04 02:38 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The LD50 in mice is 3mg/kg. If a mouse were a human, that would be around 240mg for a 180lb person, which would easily fit in a pill. Of course, mice are not humans, and the LD50 in a mouse can be quite different than the same LD50 in a human.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Fatal hallucinogen arrives in NSW [Re: Seuss]
    #3248521 - 10/12/04 08:29 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

PMA is some nasty, nasty shit... it can very easily kill you in low doses... very dangerous... know your body, know you mind, know your substance, know your source.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineSoftRat
Stranger
Re: Fatal hallucinogen arrives in NSW [Re: gdman]
    #3249838 - 10/13/04 12:30 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yep I've read about PMA and it does seem to have a high toxcity and a narrow range between an active dose and a dangerous dose.

--------------------
Everything I say in these posts is a made up fiction.

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Red Mitsubishis: the truth [Re: Anno]
    #3251342 - 10/19/04 01:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.ssonet.com.au/display.asp?ArticleID=3693

Red Mitsubishis: the truth

By Paul Dillon
Sydney Star Observer
Issue 735
Published 14/10/2004

Over the past couple of weeks ecstasy users across the country were warned there appeared to be a batch of pills around that could possibly contain PMA. These pills appeared to be marketed as red Mitsubishis. In addition to this warning there was also an ecstasy-related death which the media immediately linked to these pills.

So what do we actually know about this whole story ? were there PMA pills doing the rounds and is there any link between these and the death of the Sydney teenager?
First of all, what is PMA? PMA (paramethoxyamphetamine) is an amphetamine-type drug with both stimulant and hallucinogenic properties. It has no medical use. Its effects are similar to those of MDA, although PMA is far more toxic. It first appeared as a recreational drug in North America in the early 1970s, usually sold as MDA, and became associated with fatalities soon after it entered into street use. In Ontario, for example, the deaths of nine young people were confirmed to be caused by PMA between March and August 1973.

A couple of weekends ago two young men were admitted to St Vincent?s Hospital after taking ecstasy. One was extremely ill and caused emergency workers great concern. In the following couple of days an email was circulated across the gay community which was based on an element of truth but also contained a number of inaccuracies. It said that two people were admitted to hospital (true), they had taken red Mitsubishis (supposedly true), one had died (false), toxicology had been carried out (false), and the pills were 10 times stronger than normal ecstasy (false ? we didn?t know that information).

As a result of this email and great community concern, ACON issued a warning about the possibility of a particularly toxic batch of ecstasy being on the streets. So where did the PMA come from ? who suggested it and what evidence did we have? Well, a quick search of the internet will show you that red Mitsubishis have been linked with PMA since 2000 when there was a death of a young man in Austria. Since that time the PMA/red Mitsubishi urban myth has reared its ugly head a number of times. Over the past week I have done a great deal of searching looking for any hard evidence since that time of a link between the brand and PMA. I can find none.

Sadly the death of the teenage girl last weekend only added fuel to the fire. We are still waiting for toxicology results but most experts believe there is no link between the supposed toxic batch and her death. We could be proven wrong but it is looking highly doubtful that her death was PMA-related.

I believe that warnings need to be disseminated very carefully ? we need to have good hard facts to support our claims. At no time was there any evidence to indicate that PMA was contained in any pills in Sydney. We do not want to be perceived as the ?boy who cried wolf?, or users will simply not believe us the next time.

The warning was definitely heeded by many in the community. People were concerned that they could have ?bad pills? and adjusted their behaviour accordingly. This was an extremely positive response and the community should be applauded for this.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Invisibletwonewtz
lot lizzard

Loc: middle of the road
Re: Red Mitsubishis: the truth [Re: motaman]
    #3273298 - 10/24/04 11:46 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

So when the Bad Brains said "we've got that PMA" (positive mental attitude, they weren't talkin about this shit. Honestly though I've always felt that if you like to do pills (especially illegally manufactured ones) then you are taking your chances- and therefore you get what you get. Taken x twice- very nervous about it both times-over 5 years ago- NEVER again. Pretty, young girls dying to get high- Tragedy. Pretty, young, STUPID, DEAD girls- some people never learn.

--------------------
absolutely statistically

Offlinealphanumeric
connectingthedots
Loc: Alaska
Re: Red Mitsubishis: the truth [Re: twonewtz]
    #3273967 - 10/25/04 03:18 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i remember white mitsubishis that contained pma about five years ago

--------------------
if you get confused listen to the muscic play

Offlineel_duderino
 User Gallery

Loc: South Australia
Re: Red Mitsubishis: the truth [Re: alphanumeric]
    #3329770 - 11/07/04 09:43 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

I think that a) ppl are stupid for taking the risk with pills containing unknown substances.

and b) governemnts are killing their people by not legalising (partially perhaps) and monitoring these drugs. Instead we have shady manufacturers and shady dealers selling a shady drug that could potentially kill you.

The war on drugs is bullshit, where's the harm minimisation and actually caring for these dumbasses that do this. I mean sure they're dumb and take the risk but the risk can be avoided!

I remember the critisisms Bob Brown and The Greens here in Australia got for their drug policies, good thing we have Family 1st and the Libs with their moral values and tough stance on drugs to keep the scene dangerous for young party goers.

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Fatal hallucinogen arrives in NSW [Re: gdman]
    #3364261 - 11/15/04 03:57 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

gdman said:
PMA is some nasty, nasty shit... it can very easily kill you in low doses... very dangerous... know your body, know you mind, know your substance, know your source.

Some of the best advice given on any drug

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service