Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemushiesonmymind
Stranger
1st casing and i want it to do really well
    #3244477 - 10/11/04 06:39 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hi all, I was just reading a post by scatmanrav and it was stated that the best way to get full flushes is to get a even pin for the first flush. I am not using an incubator, i know that it will take longer, bc. i don't want to get contams from the water.
My question is what can i do to make sure that my first pin is even. This is my first casing, and i am using 1 small bag of mycobag grain, 1 5lb bag of compost from high mountain, and i am putting that into a 14 gallon container layering compost, grain, compost. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st casing and i want it to do really well [Re: mushiesonmymind]
    #3244494 - 10/11/04 06:42 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Patching, and even layers will help with an even pin set.

It is really not that important though. This was thrown in when there was just a little patch of myc poking in the middle. As you can see, it is doing fine =).

Basically, you make your casings as even and level as you can. Incubate for four days(This is at optimal temps btw). On the fourth day you should see growth on the casing layer. When you see that growth, patch it. Re-incubate for another day and introduce fruiting.

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st casing and i want it to do really well [Re: Citric]
    #3244530 - 10/11/04 06:50 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I put it in the fruiting chamber right after patching, no more incubation. I patch almost all of my casings but if its comming up even I might not. Its not needed but for your first casings until you really get the handle of making even casings (not level either, even to the substrate, not to the ground) it can help your first flush with a nice even pinset. Second and third plus flushes are usually not affected by whether you patch or not, mainly just the first flush IME.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineChinaBoy
Stranger
Re: 1st casing and i want it to do really well [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3244816 - 10/11/04 08:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Do you patch with sterile casing substrate or do you just might what you use to patch?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st casing and i want it to do really well [Re: ChinaBoy]
    #3244866 - 10/11/04 08:13 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Use what you use to case with to patch. If you sterilize then do so. I sterilize all my casing mix in jars in the PC for an hour at 15 PSI. Some don't and do fine, I think its worth the hour to do 9 quarts of casing and be safe.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st casing and i want it to do really well [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3244938 - 10/11/04 08:29 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Half an hour is more then enough Scat, save yourself a half hour next time =)

--------------------
Cup O' Shrooms
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3245301 - 10/11/04 09:43 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Oh yeah? I was told it might not get the center of the jar unless done for an hour. I just loaded a few jars that were sitting and hadn't been pressure cooked yet..its only 5 jars so I'll try it for 30 mins. and see how it works out. Thanks :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3245309 - 10/11/04 09:44 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Citric said:
Patching, and even layers will help with an even pin set.

It is really not that important though. This was thrown in when there was just a little patch of myc poking in the middle. As you can see, it is doing fine =).

Basically, you make your casings as even and level as you can. Incubate for four days(This is at optimal temps btw). On the fourth day you should see growth on the casing layer. When you see that growth, patch it. Re-incubate for another day and introduce fruiting.

^-- First flush, 1/2 hour casing =)

--------------------
Cup O' Shrooms

My final Grow!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3245421 - 10/11/04 10:05 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah some don't sterilize at all though and get results..well, until I see another reason I'm gonna knock it down to 30 minutes.

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3245425 - 10/11/04 10:05 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Mushisonmymind, I think use of incubator is good. For 1, it cuts down on the incubation time significantly(I mean a lot a lot a lot) so there would be less time for contam to get a foothold, and 2 it's really hard for contam to breed in water with no nutricient. Tap water has a relative high chlorine concentration which prevents contam growth. But if you want to be sure, add some H2O2 or bleach.

I don't see any reason for concern,really, in using a tub in tub unless you sink the inside tub by mistake...

Good luck.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st casing and i want it to do really well [Re: Sam1912]
    #3245511 - 10/11/04 10:21 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Sam1912 said:
Mushisonmymind, I think use of incubator is good. For 1, it cuts down on the incubation time significantly(I mean a lot a lot a lot) so there would be less time for contam to get a foothold, and 2 it's really hard for contam to breed in water with no nutricient. Tap water has a relative high chlorine concentration which prevents contam growth. But if you want to be sure, add some H2O2 or bleach.

I don't see any reason for concern,really, in using a tub in tub unless you sink the inside tub by mistake...

Good luck.

Sam

I get jars of QTs done in 8 days with no incubator.......

But I cheat, my cellar is always 80+ degrees lol =)

But yes, GET AN INCUBATOR! =)

--------------------
Cup O' Shrooms

My final Grow!

Offlinemushiesonmymind
Stranger
    #3245693 - 10/11/04 11:09 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you Sam for the advice, problem is i dont have all that much room to make an incubator that can fit a 14 gallon rubber maid inside of it. other than that i am sure that things will work out great, and hopefully the shroom gods will look down upon me kindly and let all things go well.

mush

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3245700 - 10/11/04 11:13 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You know what.. Just the other day, i saw a rubbermaid that was about 5" tall. You should be able to fit that under the bed.
Just a thought. May the shroom gods bless you.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinemushiesonmymind
Stranger
Re: 1st casing and i want it to do really well [Re: Sam1912]
    #3246561 - 10/12/04 07:58 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Sam thank you for all of the help, right now i have everything in a closet, but the closet is not that wide just deep. so i am thinking of buying those Rubbermaid shelves and just use that as a grow chamber. i can fit 2 of those in my closet stacked on top of each other, and if i can get some of those turkey trays then i should be able to fit one turkey tray, in each shelf. i think that sounds like it might work. i do have a space heater that i can put in my closet and run to get my closet to be around 80 degrees, would this help? let me know what you think.

mush

Edited by mushiesonmymind (10/12/04 08:00 AM)

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3246566 - 10/12/04 08:02 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

YW. I hope it works out for ya. Sounds like you are the man with a plan! Good luck to you.

Sam

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds