Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineredshadow
Yaddia Holla?
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Zeta Reticuli
a couple rookie questions
    #3242470 - 10/11/04 10:25 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i was wondering if i need to use the fractional sterilization for my substrate. im using vericulite and brown rice flower and i dont have a pressure cooker, i was thinking of using a vegtable steamer or boiling it in a large pot.

how can i colonize a cake using only a spore print and not a syringe

--------------------
=<{:  Its only when you've lost everything that your free to do anything.......  :}>=

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedjxkon
MycoPimp
 User Gallery
Re: a couple rookie questions [Re: redshadow]
    #3242478 - 10/11/04 10:27 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

boiling it in a pot for 60 minutes works just fine

--------------------
Ravers don't Fall, They Trip and Roll!

Offlinedjxkon
MycoPimp
 User Gallery
Re: a couple rookie questions [Re: djxkon]
    #3242483 - 10/11/04 10:30 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

o i didn't see your other question...

syringe is the way to go, but if you cant get your hands on one, a single spore print is plenty to do 2 dozen 1 pint jars, just use a razor and scrap off a small amount into your sterile jars, if you can see any spores fall in, than you have more than enuff.

--------------------
Ravers don't Fall, They Trip and Roll!

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Loc: Doldrums & Faultlines
Re: a couple rookie questions [Re: djxkon]
    #3242538 - 10/11/04 10:52 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I use a vegetable steamer for my jars and they come out just fine. The damn thing gets so hot I had blisters when I passed my hand over the steam port. ..=( don't ask why I did that!! ...
I use the two teired version and I put the jars on the top.

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

Traveller, there is no path, paths are made by walking

If Jesus was jewish...Why does he have a mexican name??

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: a couple rookie questions [Re: oddiseus]
    #3242576 - 10/11/04 11:01 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

DJxkon: That sounds very risky. You'd have to scrape off or not even put in the straight verm layer in the jars if you going to drop spore on the substrate. There's no point in innoculating before the sterilization. I think the best bet is to find a syringe. If you don't have one, you should get creative about finding one. You can even use the ones that come with Ink jet printer refill kits. Just keep strictly to sterility standards.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: a couple rookie questions [Re: Sam1912]
    #3242708 - 10/11/04 11:43 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Not to mention a print will have slightly dehydrated spores and would be better if they sat in water for a few hours (ie, you made them into a syringe a few hours before innoculating). Not to mention if you scrape off spores off a print into a jar you probably just used enough to make an entire syringe which could make 10 jars each.

What I'd do is scrape some spores off into some sugar water (honey, karo, malt, whatever water), incubate that for a week or two and use that to knock up all the jars you'll ever need.

Oh yeah and that whole sterility thing...do that. :thumbup: Good luck!

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: a couple rookie questions [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3242762 - 10/11/04 12:05 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Scatmanrav, you missed the part where he says "not a syringe". Or you just forgot to tell him he still needs one with liquid culture. Or am I missing something?

But if you have a print, you should have more than enough spores to go around for awhile, at least 50 jars.

Whether you go with liquid culture like scatmanrav is suggesting or a spore syringe, you'll still have to use a syringe. It's a bit of risk for a beginner, but it's by far not as big risk as if you don't use a syringe. Just go ahead and find yourself one.(or a box) Good luck.

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: a couple rookie questions [Re: Sam1912]
    #3242980 - 10/11/04 12:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah I didn't read that not using a syringe thing. You could scrape spores in but if I wasn't going to use a syringe (which I would, and do a liquid culture) your best bet would be to at least use grains so you don't have the dry verm layer blocking the spores. If I were to do it personally and didn't want to use a syringe for some silly reason I would scrape some prints onto agar (or an equivilant, like BRF mush or cardboard) and then take some nice wedges of that and inoculate some grain jars (you could do PF but then you again have the dry verm barrier..though I'd imagine a wedge would be easy enough to get in there and even if you threw it on top the myc would probably go through the dry verm layer and then colonize the substrate.

All this needs to be done in very sterile conditions though. A syringe will make things much easier on yourself. You can order them online if you can't find them locally and thats the problem. They aren't expensive either..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Invisiblenotsloth
Stranger

Re: a couple rookie questions [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3243721 - 10/11/04 03:22 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not sure what your reasons are for not wanting to use a syringe, but going into a feed store and buying a few really isnt scary. The needles you'll be wanting to use are too big for human use, so you dont get any funny looks or anything.

Offlineseatrip
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: a couple rookie questions *DELETED* [Re: notsloth]
    #3243954 - 10/11/04 04:24 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by seatrip

Reason for deletion: none

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: a couple rookie questions [Re: seatrip]
    #3244009 - 10/11/04 04:36 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah that was basically the tek..not even that much..you basically use it like agar..pour a small amount (1/4" maybe) of BRF paste onto the bottom of a half pint the scrape the spores in. I wouldnt shake either. You just really want a little growth on the surface like agar. I think mixing in agar agar would help it harden too, maybe the tek I remember said that and BRF was just what they used for food in it. You would need to be extreamly sterile, not a glovebox nessisarily though.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate