Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Withering shrooms (contam or flies maybe?)
    #3242824 - 10/11/04 02:22 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Ok I have two casings, ones old and ones new:

Old one:

New one:

The old ones on like flush 4-5ish and will be tossed eitherway this time around, the new one on its first flush. The new one is a Z and did have bacterial contam in the jar, I cased it leaving the bottom uncolonized part. The substrate grew together quite strong and fluffy after being cased but growth in the casing layer was thin and wispy. Perhaps only the outside did well and the interior still has some problems. Well anyway it started fruiting as you can see and thats after like 3 or 4 days..they are growing still but quite weird..they don't seem to get taller..just more bunched up and bigger though the stems are quite hollow. Could this be cause of bacterial contam?

I noticed it on the older casing as well that the stems are VERY hollow and can't support themselves very well. The shrooms look like they have aborted at the stage in the picture above (both pics were taken minutes ago) and have looked like that for the last 30-40 hours or so with the veils unopening and caps bluing. The stems are so hollow they can hardly hold themselves up.

I've also notice occasional tiny black flies in my chamber, 1 or 2 a few times. I try to kill them until I either do or they hide from me so I'm not sure if I'm seeing the same ones over and over again or what. They're just the flies weve had around the house and are like gnat size or slightly bigger and I'm thinking fruit flies. Don't know if these guys would cause it. Many many other casings in the same chamber are doing fine.

Oh yeah, neither casing is immiting a smell other then mushrooms but it could be contained in the middle of the substrate. I sniffed them while standing in my chamber too so unless the smell would be strong enough (might not be in the middle of the substrate), the rest of the chamber could have overpowered it a little.

I'm gonna harvest the older casing soon as they appear to be starting to get the abort feel to the caps and I'm almost positive they are.

Honestly I hope its bacterial...the flies have been getting to me and now I notice this and I'm concerned if it is the flies. A few lost casings is no biggy though..damned flies will be tough to get rid of if they infest me though..

Edit:
Perhaps I should add the damn pics huh? There they are..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (10/11/04 02:35 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Withering shrooms (contam or flies maybe?) [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3242893 - 10/11/04 02:39 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I've had this same problem, and added baking soda to my PMP water. My water was too acidic, yours might be too. Give it a shot.

Also see this thread

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Forum2&Number=3199077

Edited by kronnyQ (10/11/04 02:41 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Withering shrooms (contam or flies maybe?) [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3243062 - 10/11/04 03:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry I forgot to mention its not my conditions. I have many casings going in the same chamber with the same water going into both humidifiers and getting sprayed with the same mister bottle, getting the same light and fresh air exchange. Same substrate, strain and casing mix. Even sitting on the same shelves next to these casings are healthy shrooms/casings/cakes.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3244885 - 10/11/04 10:18 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Bumpsidaisy. ...

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3244985 - 10/11/04 10:42 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Looks very much like contam to me. Hows just below the casings surface look? Looks like possibly early stages of Trichoderma or Verticillium but hard to say for absolute sure. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

Re: Withering shrooms (contam or flies maybe?) [Re: hyphae]
    #3245178 - 10/11/04 11:26 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It looks to me like they arent getting enough water and drying out prematurely, give em more water dude. After all your babies are 90% water

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Withering shrooms (contam or flies maybe?) [Re: Yarry]
    #3245251 - 10/11/04 11:36 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

YarryShroomer said:
It looks to me like they arent getting enough water and drying out prematurely, give em more water dude. After all your babies are 90% water

To the untrained eye I suppose they would look like that. LOL They're not drying out :wink: YA know why? the caps would be splitting long before the stems shrunk. This is just from my experience over many years growing  :wink: Nothing more. :laugh: Not to mention scatmanrav has his water delivery down pretty damn good IMO. :wink: Said with much respects YarryShroomer

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3245410 - 10/12/04 12:03 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I have mycelium growing on most of my caps which would indicate to me my humidity isn't to low. I have a cool mist in each closet and an ultrasonic in each closet on a timer to be on 30 minutes/off 30 minutes. I also mist all my casings lightly 1-3 times a day depending on how they look. The older casing did pull away alot from the edge but its quite fuzzy around the outside and does not look dry.

That casing was right next to the older one getting the same conditions.

Those cakes next to the other.

I'm going to go harvest the older casing and break it up and see if I see a contam or not. Is Verticillium a bacterial thing? Or is that the other green like trich..can't remember. The "new" one definatly did have bacterial contams before I cased it..

Think they'll kill anyone? :smile: I think they'll be cool if its green but I don't know about bacterial shit.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3245896 - 10/12/04 01:47 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It is not bacterial. Hows the casing look just under the surface around the affected shrooms? I personally don't mess with contaminated shrooms, I'm just not that hard up. GL and be safe Bro :wink:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3246002 - 10/12/04 02:29 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Looks like that...just under the surface was ok. I tossed all the shrooms because on the sides it was comming though. I have a good side pic but I have no more space for 30 minutes then I can upload another pic. Sucks though. I'm gonna go rip up that other one even though they're still growing cause it looks like the same symptoms in the shrooms..these damn things best not spread nothing to my good casings :smile:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3246185 - 10/12/04 03:57 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Theres a pic of the side.

I ripped open the other casing (the "new" one) after picking the shrooms and found nothing. I did find globs of mushroom mass all around the edge though that I find sometimes in jars that I let sit colonized for too long. This is mycelium after like 4 generations of g2g transfers which is why I believe it looked so sloppy in the jars (I think bacterial infection but maybe not) and why its looking like these. Tossed it anyway..I got some nice big straw casings and about 5 dozen jars colonizing right now so I need some room anyway..I need to finish my new PVC shelf too for more room. Well thanks for your help I'm happy its not the flies. They're still worrying me..

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation