Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineherby
untape syringe holes during incubation?
    #3242551 - 10/11/04 12:56 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

should there be tape covering the holes during incubation or should i take the tape off and keep the jar lid on tight?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: untape syringe holes during incubation? [Re: herby]
    #3242604 - 10/11/04 01:10 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

take the tapes off after you inoculate. Keep the aluminum foil(the one you used in sterilization) over the jars.

And oh yeah. Don't peek at the jars for next 7 days. It'll do bad things to you.(i.e. sleep jar peeking much like sleep walking)

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: untape syringe holes during incubation? [Re: Sam1912]
    #3242722 - 10/11/04 01:52 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Dont peak for 7 days? Puuuuuuulezzeee. I stare at them nonstop all the time..even when I close my eyes, there they are. Growing. Colonzing. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Not looking makes time fly and is good for your patience. But umm what if your already an impatient person?

Please note all questions are rethorical. Now whered that blunt go..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: untape syringe holes during incubation? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3242743 - 10/11/04 01:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Even when you are sleeping, right, Scatmanrav?  you just proved my point. :wink:

On a more serious note, don't try too hard to not look at them.  We all succum to the temptation eventually, may it be 1 hour or 3 days after inoculation.  Then of course, the peeking syndrome.  I had few jars I marked on top of the foil, so I knew which ones I've been peeking at.  I did that so I'd try not to disturb the others.  I had mine fairly well wrapped in foil to minimize light exposure when I opened the incubator.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3242842 - 10/11/04 02:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hell yeah, ESPECIALLY in my sleep. Thats where they realy work the magic.

I make sure I check all my jars once a day starting 2-5 days after inoculation. Before that there usually isnt anything to see but after that I pull out all my jars out of my incubators once a day to make sure there are no contams and shake what jars need to be shaken. I do not worry about light exposure at all and the first jars I take out sit out in light for like 30 minutes until they get back in. Havn't had a problem yet. PF jars it seems have more of an issue with this because they can take so long to colonize. My grains done 6-10 days after I knock it up everytime (using liquid culture or grain to grain transfers, kept in an incubator and shaken) just about. PF cakes often take over 2 weeks from when you knock them up (if using MSI like most do) and light everyday for this long could cause some problems on whatever substrate you use..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3242932 - 10/11/04 02:47 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

My PF jars got done in 8 days and change, but birthed at 10. And I had some fuzz to stare at after a day. And oh yeah.. 3 jars saw me every few hours and the rest only once a day. I kept all but 1 in the darkness for last 2 days to try to recoup, though. And, yeah.. me too. I found myself litteraly walking towards the incubators every time I woke up. Or at least awake enough to walk...

Sam

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3243125 - 10/11/04 03:22 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You must have used liquid culture? Pretty good speed on them though..alot of people seem to have problems getting PF substrate to colonize quickly. Perhaps people just don't get water content right..

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3243181 - 10/11/04 03:30 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

No. It was MSI. I made the syringes myself. Well... kinda liquid culture... I used 5% dextrose solution to make my syranges and let it stand for 20 hours for rehydration. And very dark syranges.

Sam

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3243249 - 10/11/04 03:40 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah thats kinda liquid culture..that game them some time germinating. Still not to much time to germinate and grow and that is very fast colonization..

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3243284 - 10/11/04 03:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'm kind of concerned though. I've let them sit around for 2 days after 100% colonization, but i don't know if the network is set enough to fruit. I might be posting one of those "HELP!! NO PINS!!" posts... eh.. maybe not. I've got lots of birthing to do this week. But honestly, do you think I'll be sitting around for extra time because colonization was so quick?

Sam

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3243344 - 10/11/04 03:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

No I don't think you will. The network doesnt have to get set to fruit, if its colonized the network is fine. Birth the jars because the longer you wait to birth them the longer youll be sitting around waiting for fruits. Don't wait for them to start pinning before you birth them.

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3243438 - 10/11/04 04:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I birthed 10 couple of days ago, all GT.
5 more in dunk/coldshock right now and for reasons of inexperience my burma is lagging. 14 days and still 80-90%, 15 jars. These were first to get knocked up, but with just regular sterile water and only 12 hours of hydration. Then I got that GT time trial thing going. I can see a very wide spread germination right now... hopefully the CO2 gives a quick start and cut a day out.

I should really move away from PF jars like you told me weeks ago, but I feel like I'm so close to mastering it... I could be just kidding myself about that. But so close...

Man!! I'm getting way too into this cultivation.

Thanx for the encouraging info.

Sam

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3243458 - 10/11/04 04:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Certain strains take longer. I've found GT to be pretty quick. Heres some GT's to tease you too..

Bad pic of so so casings and no more upload space for today :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3243472 - 10/11/04 04:29 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

LOL! That's it! I'm getting me some rye and quart jars tomorrow. Oh, wait.. I don't have any more GT spores. LOL. I'll just have to wait until I get my flush.

I was going to go rye casing after this flush anways. You had me drooling a long ago.

Thanx for the pics.

Sam

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation