Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Election gambling
    #3241236 - 10/10/04 11:49 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Tonite I bet my friend $10 that Kerry will win, anybody else betting on the election?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Election gambling [Re: chodamunky]
    #3241275 - 10/10/04 11:55 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

If anyone is up to it I bet $50 that no matter who is elected nothing significant will change.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Election gambling [Re: z@z.com]
    #3241703 - 10/11/04 01:36 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You could have gotten better odds. That was a sucker bet. We haven't elected a full blown liberal like Kerry since Lyndon Bains Johnson. And he is the reason we won't elect another one. A fool and his money...

Stick to the ponys, and remember if you are at a table and you don't know who the fish is, you are the fish.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: Election gambling [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3241717 - 10/11/04 01:40 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, when college kids think of the Democratic Party, they think of LBJ. :smirk:

Give me a break.

LBJ rationalized Vietnam like Bush rationalizes Iraq.

LBJ lost his job because Vietnam was an UNJUST war. Not because he was Liberal.

Vietnam's over, we're fighting Iraq now.

If you are going to invoke the ghost of LBJ, use him properly. :tongue:

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Election gambling [Re: Rose]
    #3241760 - 10/11/04 02:14 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

"We haven't elected a full blown liberal like Kerry since Lyndon Bains Johnson."

We have elected two democrats as President since Johnson. Jimmy Carter, who desperatly wanted to balance the budget and simplify the tax code, and moderate Bill Clinton. The last full blown liberal that we have had as President was Lyndon Bains Johnson. My statement is one of fact.

Vietnam was not an unjust war. It was poorly prosecuted and at times misunderstood. Our kids gave their lives for the liberty of the South Vietnamese people. We didn't do it for treasure, oil, or colonial conquest. We did it because John F Kennedy said that we would bear any burden and pay any price. Speaking of Kennedy, he was no liberal. He cut taxes, kicked ass, and nailed supermodels. He was a man's man.

Lyndon Johnson tried to act on JFK's words by desiging and micro managing a war plan that was friendly on our enemies and tougher on our own kids. He combined his war room activity with the most significant expansion of federal social spending that this nation has ever seen.

More than any man, Lyndon Johnson gave us the big government we have today. He is the only full blown liberal that has served in the Oval Office in the last 50 years. Go through the list yourself. There is a reason we don't elect liberals.

Funny how John Kerry ran scared in the debate when Bush called him a liberal. Call a republican a conservative and he will say thank you. Call a 1960's New Left bitchass like Kerry a liberal and you will send him running and crying about labels. He wouldn't even admit he was a liberal, and he certainly couldn't deny it. If John Kerry isn't a liberal, than nobody in Congress is liberal.

John Kerry is the most prominient liberal in American society, and he won't even admit he is a liberal. I wonder how that makes some of you lefties feel.

Snap.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#3241799 - 10/11/04 02:33 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Nixxon was a liberal.

Zing

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineWolfe3001
journeyman

Loc: Calgary
    #3242025 - 10/11/04 05:26 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Kerry isn't really a liberal.

--------------------
They are in love. Fuck the War.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: Election gambling [Re: Wolfe3001]
    #3242061 - 10/11/04 05:59 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yes he is, but that isn't a bad thing.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#3242164 - 10/11/04 07:28 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

JesusChrist said:
You could have gotten better odds. That was a sucker bet. We haven't elected a full blown liberal like Kerry since Lyndon Bains Johnson. And he is the reason we won't elect another one. A fool and his money...

Stick to the ponys, and remember if you are at a table and you don't know who the fish is, you are the fish.

What about George W. Bush? Government has grown faster under Bush than it has under even LBJ.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #3242753 - 10/11/04 12:01 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Cervantes said:
Nixxon was a liberal.

Thou Shalt Not Take The Name Of Richard Millhouse Nixon In Vain

Don't test my mettle sailor. This country needs a Dick Nixon revival. We need to exhume his body and start a mass cloning of Nixons.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Election gambling [Re: Ancalagon]
    #3242763 - 10/11/04 12:05 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Ancalagon said:

What about George W. Bush? Government has grown faster under Bush than it has under even LBJ.

George Bush is an assbag liberal. Bill Clinton was more conservative. John Kerry is both a traitor and a full blown liberal. While the lesser of two evils is still evil, John Kerry is my worst nightmare. I would like to say goodbye and good riddance the New Left movement of the 1960s.

If Bush gets elected, I am hoping for a serious dialouge about the future of conservatism in the Republican party. People on the right are being gracious to Bush because of the Kerry threat. That should change on Novermeber 3rd.

I wish the Dems would have ran Joe Lieberman. I could have voted for him.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Election gambling [Re: Wolfe3001]
    #3242764 - 10/11/04 12:06 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Wolfe3001 said:
Kerry isn't really a liberal.

You just made my day.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#3242845 - 10/11/04 12:28 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Nixon was about as Socially Liberal as a president has ever been. At the same time, he was fiscally conservative.

Damn.

Why did he have to cover up Watergate?

He truely was a great president... 'till he was fired.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #3242961 - 10/11/04 12:55 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I think that you are dead on. I hope you weren't joking. I have told people for years that he was cool as a president. Unfortunately, he was borderline insane in his insecurity. Probably comes with the job. Hunter Thompson said in "Better Than Sex" that the Clintons would make us beg for Nixon. They did me.

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #3243490 - 10/11/04 02:33 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Cervantes said:
Nixon was about as Socially Liberal as a president has ever been. At the same time, he was fiscally conservative.

Damn.

Why did he have to cover up Watergate?

He truely was a great president... 'till he was fired.

I am socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I have been meaning to read up a little on Dick Nixon. He was Vice President for 8 years under Ike. He ran for President and lost against JFK. He sat out 1964, and then was elected twice to the office of the President. Over a quarter century he was was on 5 of the 6 ballots for the Oval office, either as President or Vice President. He was elected on 4 of the 5. What a dominating figure in American politics. I am sure a ton of people were quite happy when they finally drug him out of office.

If anyone knows any great books on Nixon let me know. I confess to be ignorant about much of Richard Nixon. My parents loved him, and he is widely considered to be one of the more intelligent Presidents that we have ever had.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Jump to top Pages: 1