Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
 User Gallery

Need data for static systems [DB]
    #324149 - 05/23/01 02:06 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

It takes a lot of substrate to make one of these, at least in a normal Wallmart-type rubbermaid [24"X16"X16.51"]. There's no way any one person can test many different boxes. Well, maybe Ryche :)

McMan recommended a ratio of substrate:total volume NOT TO EXCEED 1:5. The DB kit, from the pics, seems to greatly exceed this. [with success]

Currently, my gimp has two static systems going that are ready to pin, each with a ratio of 1:5 [3.5" substrate, incl. coir casing]. I started whipping him so that he will fan 2X/day, mist 1X/day.

He begs me to let him drill a couple airholes, to possibly eliminate the need for fanning [and help reduce the drying out of the substrate].

The DB lids are much less airtight than normal rubbermaids. So that is definitely a factor that needs to be considered when setting up these things.

It seems that not many people have gone this route yet, but those that have successfully or not [even the DB-ers], your input would be greatly appreciated.

I think there is an optimal set of parameters for static systems, assuming that all bulk substrates will respire at about the same rate, and assuming the same type of container is used. If the airholes were positioned correctly, you could probably get away with whipping your gimp only 1X/day.

I'm also thinking of having him stick 4 ?1/2" I.D.? pieces of tubing evenly into the substrate, sort of like the old PF Drinking Straw Tek, and keeping these full as fruiting progresses. Again, hands-off as much as possible.

The above information is complete fiction.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Re: Need data for static systems [DB] [Re: Suntzu]
    #324493 - 05/23/01 08:53 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I usually dont post, but ill share something i remember!

Anyone remember Oss and Oerics Magic Mushroom Growers Guide... of course you do. Well anyway, how about the bulk technique they talk briefly about in there. They take those square styrofoam containers which tropical fish are shipped, cut a square hole in the top and cover it with plexiglass(siliconed in place). This is filled with substrate, and so on and on. These things are cheap. in fact if you ask most pet stores, they will give them to you. They are about 18" high and maybe 24" square. Ideal in my mind as a container due to the large amount of surface area! A 3/8 in hole can poked into the top of 3 such containers and have cool mist humidifier hudidifying these. all self contained. I forget where i was going with this... oh well. Bye

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology