Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Forced perspective photography
    #3238838 - 10/10/04 10:48 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

When the above picture first surfaced on the news/internet I remember thinking "Why is everyone making such a big deal?". It seemed obvious to me right from the start that this photo was simply a matter of perspective.

Yesterday I was challenged in my thinking that this image was not a photoshop job. So I set out to duplicate something similar. Here is what I did in about 15 minutes this morning (working alone, camera on tripod). This photo has not been altered in any way. The only manipulation of it was to crop it and resize it to a manageable size for upload here.

It was said you could not duplicate the image of the soldiers because you could not keep the foreground and background both in focus. Although my image isn't perfect, I would have to say that my entire image is of much better clarity then the soldiers image (In fact, I always thought that the image of the soldiers was a still frame grabbed from video, it just has that kind of quality to it). And the lens on my digital camera only goes to f8 so the depth of field is limited to that. If I took the time to waste some 35mm film I bet I could get crystal clear shots (my lenses for my film camera go down to f22). Also, I have found in the past that my video camera is a little more forgiving when it comes to depth of field making forced perspective even easier.

Look at the picture of the soldiers. The camel spider is being held by the person whos hand can be seen (still in focus) in the upper right corner. And lets say he is using a stick or something to hold it then it may be even closer to the camera then his hand, making it seem even larger. And depending on the equipment being used there wouldn't be any problem with depth of field in this shot (notice, even the soldier standing the background is still in focus).

And just to give you an idea of the actual size of the roach I used for this mornings image here is a shot of me actually next to the roach...

Does anyone else doubt the authenticity of the soldiers/spider image? Does anyone have proof it is a fake? With some spare time, someone to help set up shots, and a little creativity I bet I could manage some images far more impressive than the soldiers above. And I'm talking about strictly no digital manipulation involved.

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

Re: Forced perspective photography [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #3239270 - 10/10/04 01:59 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I doubt the spider/soldier picture. It looks like a simple D.O.F. photo, similar to your example.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder