Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemagnusra

Cobweb mold
    #322636 - 05/21/01 05:01 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Hello,
Does cobweb mold have a distinct smell? Or anything else that can be used to distinguish it from fluffy mycellium? I know cobweb mold is a greyish color but I can't tell if it's mold or just thin cottony mycellium, because of the casing showing through.

It's on my coir casing. But only in spots where mycellium has broken through. At first the mycellium was coming through as little thread-like rhizomorphs but now it seems to be receeding a little and looks like it is beginning to pin. Also the casing is in too much humidity, 98%, which is another reason why I'm thinking it's just fluffy mycellium. I really can't tell what color it is because it's rather whispy and the coir can be seen below it. Should I try and extract a piece and look at it on a black surface?

* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process

--------------------
[red]* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process[/red]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemagnusra

Re: Cobweb mold [Re: magnusra]
    #322655 - 05/21/01 05:18 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Upon closer examination it appears that the fluffy stuff has many very thin threadlike strings that extend out from the casing surface. They all appear to go straight from where they are growing and not just all over the place. It definitely looks more thread-like than cobweb like. But I am still uncertain. Any help is greatly appreciated.

* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process

--------------------
[red]* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process[/red]

Offlinehatter
addict
    #322660 - 05/21/01 05:24 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Often times as the cobweb takes hold, you will notice black spores in it, but like I said that is after it's been around for awhile. I've never noticed it having a smell tho.

More often than not you should be able to tell the difference..

How is a raven like a writing desk?

--------------------

How deep is the rabbit hole? To find out, go.to/FreeSporeRing

Offlinemagnusra

Re: Cobweb mold [Re: hatter]
    #322668 - 05/21/01 05:28 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Have you noticed a distinct difference in the way it grows compared to mycellium? It seems to me after looking at some pictures that a good indicator is how the mycellium grows straight rhizomorphs and the cobweb goes in every direction. But I can't be certain I have only seen a few pictures.

--------------------

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#322679 - 05/21/01 05:40 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

If you suspect it might be cobweb mold then its probably just easier to go the safe route and treat it as if it was.....it doesnt hurt the mycellium too much to treat it with h2o2....I figure better safe then sorry.

This is the exact reason why i suggested that we have a contamination forum.....there isn't enough Information on contams on this website...and we all know what a problem it is.
If you are also interested in this please leave some comments in my post titled CONTAMINATION FORUM? in the suggestion forum. If the Admins are going to add this....they have to know we want it.

Karen

Offlinehatter
addict
Re: Cobweb mold [Re: Karen]
    #322861 - 05/21/01 09:02 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I concur with Karen...cobweb isn't very hard to wipe out, and very rarely penetrates deeply.

Good Luck.

--------------------

Offlinemagnusra

#322945 - 05/21/01 10:40 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I looked at it again and I am pretty sure it's mycellium. The casing is also starting to pin, should I still treat with h2o2?

--------------------

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#323026 - 05/22/01 01:03 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

You are the only one that can call that...it depends on how sure you are of it not being cobweb mold.

I just recently cased a jar that had grown a small area of green mold...I cut out a large portion of the jar and cased it by itself. The casing started pinning on one half and then practically overnight there was green mold all over the other half. As soon as the casing started pinning I figured that I had managed to cut out the green mold successfully. Guess I was wrong.

Is it pinning anywhere near the area that you think might be cobweb mold? or is completely avoiding that area? That might be a good indicator.

It's really hard to say...you just have to use your best judgement with this one. Maybe someone else with a some experience with cobweb mold can give you some more advice....I haven't had it before...the only contam I seem to get is green mold. I have read my fair share on it though.

Good luck.
Karen

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #323253 - 05/22/01 11:15 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Cobweb is grey. Extract a piece and lay it on a white surface. Or just compare it to some healthy mycelia.

Offlinekingkc
enthusiast
 User Gallery
Re: Cobweb mold [Re: puscle]
    #323313 - 05/22/01 12:38 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I think what you describe is classic cobweb. Are there small darkish tips? Do they seem to grow straight up no more than a centimeter? Do they never seem to form rizomorphs? I could be wrong but it sounds like cobweb.

Offlinepl151

Re: Cobweb mold [Re: kingkc]
    #323324 - 05/22/01 12:47 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

yo im havin the same problem except mine looks like white puffballswith short threadlike strands. i cant even get mine pinning though and im affraid its all cobwebed up , but there are no other colors except white that show it beiing mycelium. i dunno what the deal is but i cold shocked and fed some light and fanned and misted and all that fun stuff and still no pins. im begginin to believe its all contamed from this white puff ball stuff.. im scared to say its actually smells a little like fruit loops, im assuming this means trouble..

--------------------
the truth and reason for the above post has been diminished by its very beginning..holding no facts,, but squeezing every bit of fiction...

how 'bout a hug??...

Offlinehatter
addict
Re: Cobweb mold [Re: pl151]
    #323384 - 05/22/01 01:56 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

First time growing? Sounds to me like hyphel knots, which usually is a precursor to pinning...pluck those 'puffs' (dry and save em; they are every bit as edible) and just keep on doing what you've been doing, and I'm guessing you'll prolly be ok.

--------------------

Offlinemagnusra

#323431 - 05/22/01 02:50 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Yea I thought mine was never going to pin but it just started, right after this, what I thought was cobweb mold. I am pretty sure it's not since it really isn't spreading, and my humidity is quite high. And after a few pictures I have come to the observational conclusion that cobweb mold is a jumble of hair-like structures that go every which way and the mycellium for the most part grow fairly straight from the center. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

--------------------

Offlinehatter
addict
    #323439 - 05/22/01 02:56 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

You're absolutely right...cobweb is stringy and thin, resembling, um, cobwebs...

Mycelium has a growth pattern that reminds me of frost freezing...starts at a point and works its way outward like the waves after throwing a rock.

--------------------

Offlineshizifty
enthusiast
Loc: tdot
    #323552 - 05/22/01 04:53 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

if its not bright white then get the peroxide. better safe than sorry use in on your casing even if pinning. dont go overboard with the h2o2 either or you'll be back in 3 days complaining you now have green. (it degrades into water you see)

----------------------------------------------------------
i mix love and devotion with no headphones

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
creatures of the forest sing along with my chorus

Offlinemagnusra

Re: Cobweb mold [Re: shizifty]
    #323694 - 05/22/01 07:36 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Good point shizifty I don't think too many people realize that.

Hydrogen Peroxide when exposed to light for long enough, or heat, or vigorously shaken will degrade into water. It is a very unstable molecule, with a very weak ionic bond,  do to the extra oxygen. So if you think putting h202 in your perlite is gonna keep it fresh forever think again. It will probably turn to water after a day or so of light. But just think you get contamination resistance at first then water and extra oxygen. So it does work out pretty good, at least. :smile:

--------------------

Offlinepl151

#323725 - 05/22/01 08:21 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

ill post u some pics in a little bit , maybe u guys can telll me what it looks like to u

--------------------
the truth and reason for the above post has been diminished by its very beginning..holding no facts,, but squeezing every bit of fiction...

how 'bout a hug??...

Offlinemagnusra

#323730 - 05/22/01 08:23 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Cool, pics always good for learning! They say a thousand words, or more.

--------------------

Offlinepl151

#323847 - 05/22/01 11:21 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

pic! does it look like cobweb or what?

--------------------

how 'bout a hug??...

Offlinepl151

#323851 - 05/22/01 11:26 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

heres up close , what do u think???

--------------------

how 'bout a hug??...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates