Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
possible Psilocybe inquilina?
    #3237757 - 10/10/04 12:32 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

what you think? i found these near liberty caps. i always find them in sage grass. they look like libs but are more meaty and have a less adnexed gill structure, shows no bluing and i assume them to most likely be inactive.

find them yearly at liberty cap time, pass them over.
they grow in more abundant ammounts where they occurr as well than libs

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMarcd046
Captain CiderConnoisseur

Loc: North East, Uk
Re: possible Psilocybe inquilina? [Re: Mitchnast]
    #3239069 - 10/10/04 02:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hmm, not sure about those, but they are not listed as psychoactive if it's any help.

--------------------

Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

Re: possible Psilocybe inquilina? [Re: Marcd046]
    #3239156 - 10/10/04 03:03 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Is there a spore print please?

Thanks

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: possible Psilocybe inquilina? [Re: cosmicsea]
    #3239493 - 10/10/04 05:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

purple brown of course, you can assume these are in the strophariacae family, so something like neamatoloma, hypholoma, stropharia, or psilocybe.

by the hygraphorus cap and separable pellicle you can safely assume the latter genus.

habitat is sage grass only, temps and seasons directly mirror psilocybe semilancaeta and often occur in the same patches. does not occur on other types of grass like liberty caps, or at least not that ive noticed.

generally larger than libs, seldom has pronounced nipple, however very umbronate opening to flat. keeping a rounded convex center. margin usually incurved and sometimes slightly wavy. carmel when young, changing to yellowish when pellicle dries (like libery caps) and fading to yellow-brown when dry.
base has strong and rhizomorphic growth that adheres to substrate when pulled. stipe has no veil, whitish, darkening where damage occurs. fibrose lines run vertically down stipe.

ive encountered these before and kept large ammounts of specimines to observe through verious stages of drying for a possible bluing reaction. never noticed one. however, when dried, ive noticed these are indistinguishable from simmilarly sized liberty caps, which are rarely so large.

Ive considered trying them, since im certain enough they are not toxic. but id rather just know what they are than gradually eliminate what they arent. as commonly as i encounter them, i would almost think someone else has encountered them too.

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: possible Psilocybe inquilina? [Re: Mitchnast]
    #3260637 - 10/21/04 04:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

they would certainly seem to fit with P. inquilina or a closely related species. i have not found this group before but have encountered P. castanela [ = P. californica], which can be told from this group by the occasional persistence of a fibrilous annular zone well into maturity. i am unsure of the soundnes of this macroscopic deliniation.

Guzman say the cheilocystidia are not always visible in the former species and the gill edges are often concolorous witht the gill faces.

stametes treated both of these species and some other common grass inhabiting species in PMOTW [PMATA aswell?] so you might consult this book if you have not already.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification