Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekrazycure
Coastal TripTech

Loc: The edge of reason
Ready to step up from newb teks...few Q's
    #3236206 - 10/09/04 01:17 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

My first couple of attempts with BRF and PF teks were.. pitiful. Slow. Relatively small yields. Messy. Screw that. This is a freaking fungus... I know this process can be quicker! I've learned the basics, now I want to step up with the bigger boys...

Now, I've got two fully functional 22gal PMPs ready for inhabitants.

I'm going to Wally mart today, and I'd just like some input on what I would need to buy in order to get fastest colonization, and bigger and better yields. Also, I'm intrested in being able to "perpetuate" my own harvests without buying more syringes.

I know I need a pressure cooker (boiling in pot... slow), and I need to build a proper incubator (heating pads work..ok..but I want best).

1. But what substrate do I need to buy? Is the best Rye or WBS? Practically anything is better than BRF right?  :grin:

2. And what of spore prints and liquid myc teks? Which is better to keep the harvests coming?

3. In the PMP I use lavarock. Even though I washed them pretty well, it seems the standing water is still somewhat red, should I be worried about that affecting the shroomies?  :mushroom2: It has H202 in it.

4. There seems to be a difference of opinion on how much light is required. Sometimes you read a few minutes a day is fine.. some people use 12-14 hours?!?!  :confused: There must be some reason for this huge deviation.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblefreakygurl
Stranger
Re: Ready to step up from newb teks...few Q's *DELETED* [Re: krazycure]
    #3236299 - 10/09/04 02:10 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by freakygurl

Reason for deletion: .

Offlinekrazycure
Coastal TripTech

Loc: The edge of reason
Re: Ready to step up from newb teks...few Q's [Re: freakygurl]
    #3236323 - 10/09/04 02:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hmm. Ok. Thanks. One last thing.. I've noticed pretty often, while inoculating, that small bits of BRF or verm actually get stuck inside the syringe, making it difficult to squirt just a little bit. I.e., stuff gets stuck, you press down on the syringe, nothing comes out, you try again with more force, but then accidently end up spraying 3 ccs or so in one inoculation point. How can one avoid this??

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Ready to step up from newb teks...few Q's [Re: krazycure]
    #3236329 - 10/09/04 02:26 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

pull the needle back out a hair as you push the plunger. It'll dislodge obstructions.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
Re: Ready to step up from newb teks...few Q's [Re: krazycure]
    #3236341 - 10/09/04 02:35 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I use rye most of  the time but wbs is good too. I'm really fond of the liquid culture teks myself, karo especially. You can start a jar, let it grow out and stick it in the fridge until you're ready to use it. Everyone makes too big a deal out of light.  Shrooms only need a few minutes a day but why not give'em more? It's just personal preference.  I go 12-16hrs. pre-pin and 6-12hrs. after pin formation.  Just shoot your spore/myc solution down the side walls of your jars, gladware or whatever you're using to avoid stopping up your syringe.  :goodluck:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation