Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
tiny black turtles sucking my cacti
    #3235385 - 10/09/04 03:14 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

hi community, pls somebody help me!
i am starting to notice some tiny (they grow with age) black turtles (scales? cochineal? which name is right?) sucking through my cactii flesh, tried to dab them with alcohol but they seemed to enjoy, gonna try tobacco next.
please let me know if you know how to knock down those suckers all at once in the right way...
thanks for your attention!

FH :stoned:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: tiny black turtles sucking my cacti [Re: felixhigh]
    #3235395 - 10/09/04 03:18 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

if you dont have any pets children and have decent ventilation use vapona pest strips. they are fucking harsh chems, but they work for all sorts of bugs. i have used it for plant pests, flys, skitos, animal mits and ticks you name it. i cut a 1/2"x2" stip and put it in a empty film canister with holes in it. put it by the plants and nothin gonna live after a couple days.

its very important to know that they also kill us. do not have it around kids or pets, its bad enough for healthy adults. its a last resort that is very touchy.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlinekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
    #3235708 - 10/09/04 05:31 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You could try a mixture of alcohol and tobacco. Soak some tobacco in alcohol overnight, strain, and add an equal amount of water. Spray the plants with this mixture. Repeat after two days if needed. Those bugs have a waxy shell which protects them from ordinary tobacco water. The alcohol helps to penetrate this shell and delivers the nicotine to where it does most damage. Just remember to hold your breath while spraying.

Offlinehydroguru
Stranger
Loc: dark side of the moon
Re: tiny black turtles sucking my cacti [Re: koppie]
    #3236180 - 10/09/04 01:05 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

just squish em and wipe away

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Re: tiny black turtles sucking my cacti [Re: koppie]
    #3236222 - 10/09/04 01:25 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

kadakuda: pal, i don't live in US so most brande you find there i don't find here (except for coca cola and elma chips and morrissey/phillips cigarettes), what would be the main ingredient of this good poison? this way i can find it here...
also, i don't have problems on using strong warefare since the cacti are mostly outdoors and still have some years to grow...

koppie: i was thinking of adding a bit of dishsoap too, i'm yet to see an insect which does not dies on it.

thanks a lot for the inputs, on monday i'll buy a tobacco 'rope' for the killing purposes... or perhaps the heavy stuff.
thanks a lot for the input pals!
blessings...

FH

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#3236235 - 10/09/04 01:32 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

well im a lazy fuck so here is a quote from someone else. keep in mind its a discussion about reptile mites so just ignore anythign about nix or mites.

Quote:

Vapona works by vapours (yikes), NIX is basically just a soap that works mechanically and chemically.  but I wouldn't advise ANYONE to use it (vapona).

The active ingredient (for organic chemists) is 2,2-dichlorovinyl dimethyl phosphate. That's nasty stuff man. Its a freakin' carcinogen!!! Its also a stomach poison, and its only meant for professional use. I have no idea how Vapona gets away with selling the stuff, but I wouldn't be caught dead (pun intended) with the stuff in my house, near me, my animals, or my family. DDVP is NOT something to fool around with. In fact, I'd rather play on a highway than breathe the stuff in. Call that arrogant. I call it smart.

In small amounts, cancer is fine. Does that mean I want little bits of cancer? No. What is a small amount to you or I of Vapona, could be a lethal dosage to a reptile 1/200th of your size. What about long-term affects? What if it affects fecundity? As a breeder, that would definitely suck for me. NIX is approved for use on HUMAN HEADS! Its a soap that smothers the insects while working as a mild chemical agent. Probably not the greatest thing, but far, far safer than DDVP. Plus its local. Anything that is used as a local agent is 10x more effective and safer than a general agent.

Go here for some analysis: Thanks for your time...

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profile...dichlorvos.html

http://www.prop65news.com/pubs/p65n...207/920714.html

http://infoventures.com/e-hlth/pestcide/dichlorv.html 

by the way the guy was argueing with someone, he wasnt just ranting to himself :smile:  i personally know almost nothing about the stuff, but there is the best description i have found of it.

fuck i didnt even think to mention NIX.  its a headlice thing here in canada i guess its in many other countries?  but ive used it for mites and ticks and it works wonders.  never thought to try it with plants.  may give that a whirl.

--------------------

Edited by kadakuda (10/09/04 01:37 PM)

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: tiny black turtles sucking my cacti [Re: kadakuda]
    #3236255 - 10/09/04 01:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Just go down to walmart and get a bottle of turtle repellent. :laugh:

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#3236266 - 10/09/04 01:49 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I would avoid harsh chems on plants which I am going to consume.

--------------------
Agent 727

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

#3236280 - 10/09/04 01:55 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

wow, that Vapona sounds like a really heavy load! is it of those smoking ones, like for an entire bug infested house? =)
i would have to make a tent to my cacti... not to mention that a whole 'granade' of those would cause somewhat of a desequilibrium in my garden (my mom has her spices/veggies)...
i fear to kill also good insects such as ladybugs or mantises (it's been years i don't see one) and that could make things even worse on the long run... i forgot about my mom's veggies... a smoking nuke is too much pal!

FH

OfflineChromeCrow
one ancient mutha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hoosier HELL
    #3236287 - 10/09/04 02:01 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i agree w/the tobacco/alcohol/few drops of dish washing liquid.

You have to be careful, especially if you want to later consume whatever plant your using the pesticide on. most plants will wick up the "heavy shit" and it will remain in the plant indefinately.

i ruined 95% of my cactus collection this way trying to get rid of spider mites... i had a very stern warning from one of the top people in the ethno community,about not using pesticides, they can reside in the plant matter for a really really long time, making them unsafe to consume.

funny thing after the chemicle warfare though , the mites came back... but once i used the baccy solution, they were gone for good

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: tiny black turtles sucking my cacti [Re: ChromeCrow]
    #3236496 - 10/09/04 03:21 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

vapona does not smoke, not the coils. what it is is a a roughll 8"Lx3"Wx1/4"thick chuck of yelow chem. it loosk and fells liek plastic. you dont dome or do anything it works by attracting bugs to it and fuckign them up once they get close. i cut this block in small sections and put it in those film canisters with a few holes in them. i then place it under say the table where the plants are. i dont know the effects it has on plants but i wouldnt put it close to them. it will attract the bugs off the plants and kill them.

for me soap is the best, but the messiest. i use this only as the last resort. its my heiroshima for pests.

similar to those fly strips that stick bugs to them, but they use chemical to kill htem not stickyness. they come in a "basket" that you hang. outdoors i think would be fine, but only if all else fails.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden