Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineHambo
Limey

Loc: UK
Pinning pics..request
    #3233961 - 10/08/04 06:57 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Can anyone point me at a comprehensive set.. so I know what I should be looking for in the early stages, a set over time would be nice.

All the descriptions seem a little vague, and my casings, though healthy looking, don't seem to be doing much in this last week  :smile:.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pinning pics..request [Re: Hambo]
    #3233967 - 10/08/04 06:59 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Check growlogs section.

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek
Fast, easy, fool proof inoculation
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pinning pics..request [Re: Citric]
    #3234012 - 10/08/04 07:15 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry I dont have more pinning pics and no primodia pics..they look like little nerds though. I have more on my camera that will be uploaded soon.. Grow log sections cool for pics.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pinning pics..request [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3234116 - 10/08/04 07:57 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Evenly colonized casing layer after fruiting for about a week, should be pinning soon.

These two were very overlaid, had a hard time getting these (GT's) to fruit. You can see the fluffy stuff that turned yellowish and flattened out, that is overlay. They still fruited quite nicely though. Drying now but I'd guess between 1 1/2 and 2 ounces dry. Reached my limit before the mature pics could be uploaded but anyways..you can see pins and primordia in these. The little nerd looking things are primordia which then get darker and turn into pins (dark cap, golden stem) and then mushies!

Good luck!

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineHambo
Limey

#3234203 - 10/08/04 08:20 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I know what ur thinking citric, and maybe your right, but I really have looked at lots of pics.. they all seem to just.. miss a bit.
I think its just my brain can't get round that those mushrooms come out of essentially fluff. I see pins and I see the myc bits, I just cant correlate the 2.. :/.

Scatmanrav, I'd just like to say thanks, you've been consistently helpful to my noob posts :laugh:. I just have one more question here - what on earth is a 'nerd'?!. As far as I know (being UKish), it is another term meaning a wimp, or a swot etc.

A few patches of my casing looks like that top pic in ur second post btw. No where near as even, but more patches are springing up like it - thats what I meant by looking 'healthy'. Well hopefully this will all work out in the following weeks and I'll know more about what to expect on my WBS jars incubating since beginning of the week! :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3234253 - 10/08/04 08:36 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

From the time you see myc poking up expect 5-14 days before you see pins.

Nerds are a candy :smile: See little white condensed balls that aren't spherical, they are oblong? Very small. And different then the ariel mycelium sticking up. The first pic has no primodia on it, only mycelium. The bottom two though you can see pinhead sized white balls all around the pins, theres tons of them. Those will create pins through your flushes. From what I've noticed primordia that forms before the first harvest will sometimes wait until 2nd 3rd or 4th flushes before actually making pins so not all of it will form pins now usually.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3234275 - 10/08/04 08:43 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Here ya go: Over a six day period :wink: Creeper

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pinning pics..request [Re: hyphae]
    #3234306 - 10/08/04 08:51 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Theres some pretty pics :smile:

--------------------

OfflineHambo
Limey

#3234459 - 10/08/04 09:52 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

yes! Thats ... beautiful.

Seems I may still have a while to wait though. Thing is me and the bird are going away next weekend. I just know they'll pop up then when theres no-one around to tend them.. and something tragic will happen.

Oh btw, is there any issue with too much light? I work late, and so one of us is usually up at some point. Theyre probably getting something like 16-20 hours of light atm. Thanks for the pics guys.

--------------------

OfflineBruce3
Stranger

Loc: some where over the rainb...
    #3234549 - 10/08/04 10:28 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

they look like lumps of flour, the usually grow over night and you'll notice a difference.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pinning pics..request [Re: Bruce3]
    #3234796 - 10/08/04 11:51 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I agree, I've found they grow bigger in the dark. Thats fine for a pinset but once the pins are all formed and mushrooms are growing I would reverse that and have them off for 16-20 hours a day. You only need enough to tell them to grow up.

--------------------

OfflineXanaDude
Stranger

Loc: Your Hippocampus
    #3235065 - 10/09/04 01:09 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

HEY SCATMAN!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help out us newbies.

Your pics are super.

I've currently got a mini straw/WBS casing on the go, and it's been in my PMP for 6 days.  It looked like NOTHING was happening.  I was getting concerned.

But now, after scrutinizing your pics, I realize I have exactly what you describe: little asymmetrical "nerd" formations all over the casing.  In fact, if I'm not hallucinating, the very top of each nerd looks like it has a tiny dark spot on it.  I'm assuming the very beginnings of a proto-pinhead?

Oh thank you thank you thank you! :smile:

p.s. I will post a complete growlog of my mini straw TEK after it's done.  It went very smoothly -- the mini straw TEK is so EASY it's ridiculous...

BTW here it is:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Growlog&Number=2183243

--------------------
"The Power of Ten" -- the coolest non-drug mindfuck! See it at: http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Loc: Doldrums & Faultlines
Re: Pinning pics..request [Re: XanaDude]
    #3235256 - 10/09/04 02:36 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I have a couple of questions about that grow log. First what is WBS?
2.)What is COIR? Where can I get some of these things??
Lastly what do you do with agar?

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

Traveller, there is no path, paths are made by walking

If Jesus was jewish...Why does he have a mexican name??

OfflineLawson
The new boy
Re: Pinning pics..request [Re: oddiseus]
    #3235669 - 10/09/04 05:03 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

WBS is Wild Bird Seed. I think you need a type that has mostly millet in if possible

Coco Coir is some type of shit that you use for casing with Vermiculite.
You cant get it in the uk as far as i know but i take it you will be able to. I think you can get it in pet shops, *I think* its some sort of bedding for lizards or something lol sorry for the dodgy info.

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
    #3235859 - 10/09/04 08:51 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
Here ya go: Over a six day period :wink: Creeper

Wow, supercool !!!

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pinning pics..request [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3235888 - 10/09/04 09:33 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Primo turning into pins.

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek
Fast, easy, fool proof inoculation
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineHambo
Limey

Re: Pinning pics..request [Re: Citric]
    #3235995 - 10/09/04 11:33 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I think I'm beginning to understand.
I saw lots of rhizomorph bits poking up and they developed a 'head' on them I thought these were the beginning of pins. But it looks much more random than that.

So where these growths stop and flatten out into a mass could still develop into pins? Or is that overlay? I've been reading lots about overlay now as its a concern for me, and I can only find conflicting info on whether too high or too low humidity causes it, can anyone say straight up which? or both or what? As I mentioned before the fluff on top had a lot of moisture droplets in it.. not pools, but it became almost frosty looking. fascinating stuff though. :smile:

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3236239 - 10/09/04 01:34 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Overlay is caused by a few of things:
#1 initiating pinning too late.
#2 improper watering.
#3 humidity is too low.
#4 Too much evaporation.

The first three are what I see here the most and of the three the first two are the most common here.

#1 Can be influenced by strain as to when.
#2 Is something that only comes from practice and by practice I mean practicing to get it right! Near saturation but not over!!! And do not directly mist casings with any force!
#3 For the majority Perlite and misting will do the trick for the others full-auto kicks ass!!!!!
#4 Means fanning without misting lightly afterwards, simple enough.

Anything but optimum techniques will result in less than perfect results, But who the fu@k wants to be perfect anyway right!? Now nice 1st, 2nd and 3rd flushes are something any real mycologist would strive for.
Also If for some reason (over/under watering, too cold/warm, too much CO2 or to much evaporation, etc;) you had an over abundance of aborts you will need to scrape and recase in order to save that casing. Other than that it is only wasting precious energy.
If your worried about contams give it a light h2o2 misting but Don't make the myc expend anymore energy running!!! (PLEASE says the myc! I just want to fruit!!!) Let it use that energy to put forth another flush!!! By scraping you are by no means going to get an extra flush if anything you will get less and perhaps weaker!!! Really this is basic basic shit here! Ya I know bad habits are hard to break but... I know, put yourself in the myceliums place that might help (think like the mycelium )

Word of advice don't scrape a casing and patch when necessary thats the only way to do it right!!! The myc's energy is totally wasted when colonizing the casing a second time and if peeps are having poor second flushes then they need to look at there pinning strategy and water delivery techniques, BTW who was the first one to suggest scraping off the casings on casings anyway? Only if Overlayed!!!
This has been a trend thats gone too far IMHO and people need to know the basics of casings and how to pinset and maintain a proper environment beneficial for pin development along with proper water delivery which someone figuratively said soak that casing real well and that someone is no longer here so i'd like to reiterate that statement for him. Soaking does not mean in anyway to actually soak it past NEAR saturation!!!! This means to you that you will want to observe the casing real well and watch for the point that the water just makes the casing glisten NO MORE!!!!! this is getting far too many into trouble! You don't want to rely on your bottom absorbing layer to suck up anything but accidental overwatering

To reiterate you will be wasting time the myc will have to recolonize the casing again simply unnecessary, soak it down and let the energy go into second flush pinset not into recolonizing the casing cakes are different and can be recased. Point many times your second flush pins have been knotting by the time the first flush is off. This has been my experience with 50/50's anyway. Hope this makes sense to you guys?
First of all if your first pinset was initiated optimally there should be no overlayish? ish. I've had second flushes that were much better than the first and many damn close to the yeild of the first never once recasing. actually the myc covered surface is receptive to water and the myc itself can become waterlogged if over watered, only when you have overlay does the surface become water resistant this is only because it becomes a thick impervious mat.
This was the second flush a week later. Now these aren't the greatest flushes but they're decent and i'm sure many of you have done just as good and I know some have done better. No recasing here Maybe a patch here and there thats the way its done downtown anyway. If ya look closely you'll see the third flush already knotted .This is the way I do it. Also Patching is good for two reasons cover exposed myc and future flushes. Also adding a 1/8in. casing on top after the first flush can be helpful if your not covering up pins. Excuse all the cut-n-paste just saving myself some typing

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineXanaDude
Stranger

Loc: Your Hippocampus
    #3237077 - 10/09/04 07:18 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

HAMBO --

I wouldn't worry too much about your casing. Unless it starts to get discoloured or have lots of pooled water.

If you're still instigating the fruiting cycle, I'd just leave it alone. Just make sure the temps and humidity are within good parameters.

I think a lot of us here (including me) worry too much about our fungal friends! They're actually pretty resilient.

--------------------
"The Power of Ten" -- the coolest non-drug mindfuck! See it at: http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

Re: Pinning pics..request [Re: XanaDude]
    #3237294 - 10/09/04 09:03 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

before u see pins u will see these reallllllly teeny white balls, that are in the fuzzz. these will grow and enlongate, before u can start to see the red little head, then they looze the fux, bulk up into puns, then they stretch the fuck out and break the veil and then release spores.

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation