Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesublime40oz
Traveler
Loc: Florida
Casing question
    #3232623 - 10/08/04 10:31 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Another noob question, sorry. my friend knows that you need to reincubate your casings to get the mycelium to grow through the casing layer, and that the optimal temp for this is in the 84-85 range. The question is if my friend can only acheive around a 78-80 range for incubation will he be ok? From his understanding everything should go well just maybe take another 4-7 days. (not a problem he has patience.)

--------------------
Beyond the gray sky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: Casing question [Re: sublime40oz]
    #3232662 - 10/08/04 10:39 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Shouldn't take that much longer. Take your first look after 5 days instead of 3 or 4. It'll probably be ready.

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
Re: Casing question [Re: Ayrios]
    #3233030 - 10/08/04 12:24 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Sort of related question I have. I did my substrate in tupperwares instead of jars, so after I dunk and cold shock and then case, is there any need to allow it to recolonize.

I have done casings before and I grated my cakes up then, but since the mycelium hasn't really been disturbed can I birth it straight up?

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: Casing question [Re: holio1]
    #3233051 - 10/08/04 12:33 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You mean any reason to allow it to recoop like you would if you broke the substrate up before casing? I don't personally do that anyway. I'm sure it doesn't hurt in the case of broken up substrates though. I just break up in a giant ziplock and case the small chunks of colonized grain then incubate for 3 or 4 days. You might want to break it up anyway... I'm inclined to believe the mycelium will stay better hydrated with more surface area touching the moist casing mix.

Offlineholio1
intense

Re: Casing question [Re: Ayrios]
    #3233158 - 10/08/04 01:06 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

So if I don't break it up its unnecissary?
I'd guess it probably would be stronger having come back from being broken up and fitting better with the casing layer but maybe not.

I'm going to try just birthing straight with the first batch that are fully colonized which I will probably do today and then depending how it goes I'll just do that or break it up for later casings.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3233578 - 10/08/04 03:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You should put them in the incubator. That has nothing to do with breaking it up it has to do with the myc is underground right when you case it. That means it can't get light or air and all it has for a trigger is temp drop. So it still is growing but at a lower temp and slower. Not to say that it won't work however this could cause you some problems when it comes to your pinset and it will take longer either way then putting back in the incubator until its ready and patching them. Breaking it up is not needed though.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineholio1
intense

Re: Casing question [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3237579 - 10/09/04 09:21 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

OK sweet. Before I had read this post, I cased after letting water drain and put them back into incubation (that was last night) and was planning on birthing tonight, but I haven't even got the lights I want and cleaned up the terrarium yet, so I will wait one or two more days.

My casing layers are fairly thin, probably too thin, so I am going to mist a good amount once I fruit them. I don't expect I will need to patch after incubating for 2 or 3 days, but I think I will try it this time if it looks like it would help. On my first grow I had some sick overlay and didn't patch at all and it still turned out awesome, but I would like to see how patching goes.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3238098 - 10/10/04 01:05 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Patching would make it even better. Especially if you have a thin casing layer. Just after 2 or 3 days when myc comes up in a few places throw some casing mix on the white only. Don't get it anywhere else though or you'll just work against yourself and keep the layer with hills and valleys, it shouldn't be flat. Once patched misted until glistening and throw it in your fruiting chamber.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate