Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekontron
captain planet
Loc: Eden
prozac and shrooms????
    #3231187 - 10/08/04 12:44 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

is it bad for some one who takes prozac to also take shrooms. how will this affect the trip? make it more intense, or less intense? or no effect?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: prozac and shrooms???? [Re: kontron]
    #3231208 - 10/08/04 12:46 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

This sin't a good answer, but in general anti-depressents make what a trip weaker. But my main point is if your on anti-depressents maybe you shouldn't be using psychadelics!

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Offlinekontron
captain planet
Re: prozac and shrooms???? [Re: barfightlard]
    #3231330 - 10/08/04 01:08 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i am not on anti depressents, a friend i want to trip with is. she is not psycho, and has actualy been doing shrooms longer and in larger quantities then i could ever handle, but she recently started taking prozac to help her chems balance, but she hasnt done shrooms since starting prozac. just curious if it would affect the trip at all. she is mentaly stable in every way... but she get depressed is all. she always feels like a million bucks after shrooming. she is the one who actualy got me into shrooms, and showed me they were more then just getting high.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #3231399 - 10/08/04 01:22 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

kontron said:
she is mentaly stable in every way... but she get depressed is all.

Kind of counterdicting, eeeehhh...?  :what:

Depressed :sad: + Prozac :pill: = stable :laugh:....

"Mentally Stable" doesn't just mean that you are "not crazy"....  Not telling you what to do, but psychedelics should be used by people that are mentally stable....  If he/she is sad, she could have a bad trip....  Not sure what mixing those chemicals in your brain does to ya~....

ChoW~

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3231540 - 10/08/04 02:10 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It weakens the trip a bit since it inhibits reuptake of serotonin, which mushrooms act on.

You'll need to take more... Try raising the dose 20% to start.

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: prozac and shrooms???? [Re: Ayrios]
    #3231777 - 10/08/04 04:21 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

There are a lot of threads on shrooms and anti-depressants you should search.

IMO it is not a good idea at all, as Ayrios said shrooms really screw with your seratonin levels, and anti-depressants are usually prescribed to increase seratonin level, so anything you do that is gonna alter that is not good for your brain! :tongue:

InvisibleLoosifa
none
 User Gallery

Loc: England (South) Flag
    #3231848 - 10/08/04 04:57 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Right, here's MY 2 pence worth:
I've been on Prozac for a long time, and while my mushroom trips are left unaffected, LSD is very disappointing.
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/maois/maois_info4.shtml
The above site makes some interesting reading.  I tried to find you an article about an actual research test that's going ahead somewhere in the US at the moment, but couldn't locate it.  Something to do with Lycaeum, if I remember rightly.
If your friend ends up feeling like I do when I trip, she will be just fine!  Happy trails.... :grin:

--------------------
LURK

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: prozac and shrooms???? [Re: barfightlard]
    #3231996 - 10/08/04 06:42 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

But my main point is if your on anti-depressents maybe you shouldn't be using psychadelics! 

that's what I thought too :smirk:

OfflineIamthewalrus
every evening Idied and everynight I wasreborn
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
Re: prozac and shrooms???? [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3232143 - 10/08/04 09:54 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

exactly, finally someone points this out...if you are taking meds and are feeling better because of it why the fuck can't you use psychedelics? for me trips are almost always good when using ssri's...I've only had 1 bad trip while on ssri's and it was my own fault for using when I was really full on chinese and had smoked a lot of weed...the mix wasn't good for me...I had a bad trip(but not overwelming or anything just not fun) and then spent the next day feeling sick and puking(which could have been from the chinese food or a mix of it with shrooms)...no negative effect on seritonin that I could sense...I feel so amazingly happy while trippin but it feels natural instead of drug induced like with E, amphetamines and opiates...I feel a lil warn out after mentally(especially with acid) but its gone that day or the next if I fall asleep on the comedown...in this case I wake up feeling great and full of hope that I gained through the psychedelic

Offlinekontron
captain planet
Re: prozac and shrooms???? [Re: Iamthewalrus]
    #3232192 - 10/08/04 10:16 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i am more worried about me going on a bad trip then her. by mentaly stable i meant she isnt nuts, not schitzo underlying, she is just sad for no reason some times. mushrooms always make her happy. i would definetly not worry about her going on a bad trip... we have lost a lot of fear (but not common sence), when it comes to shrooming. when she shroom she feels like she is home again. i think it is okay mentaly if a person knows what their issues are, not trying to hide themselves, and have faced it before shrooming, and dealt with it. she doesnt have "issues" to deal with... she just gets a frown :frown:. besides even if i asked her not to, she would do it anyways.. i trust her with my life though.  i wanted to make sure this wasnt going to be a dealy combo.
i have tried researching, but couldnt find any links on prozac and shrooms. interesting read though

Offlinetheknighterrant
errant knight
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere in western cana...
    #3232664 - 10/08/04 12:40 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

imo, most anti-depressants contain an monoamine oxidase inhibitor (to increase seritonin levels by decreasing MAO found within the brain). since psilocybin and psilocyn act on the brain much like other monoamines, it is possible that mao inhibitors can increase the duration of a trip by lowering the MAOs. still, it is not a good idea to mess with you brain chemistry in this way. the effects are not well studied.

tke

--------------------
The oldest and strongest emotion of man is fear. The oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
--H.P. Lovecraft

Demented Piper Press

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: prozac and shrooms???? [Re: theknighterrant]
    #3232738 - 10/08/04 01:08 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

theknighterrant said:
imo, most anti-depressants contain an monoamine oxidase inhibitor (to increase seritonin levels by decreasing MAO found within the brain). since psilocybin and psilocyn act on the brain much like other monoamines, it is possible that mao inhibitors can increase the duration of a trip by lowering the MAOs. still, it is not a good idea to mess with you brain chemistry in this way. the effects are not well studied.

tke

MAOIs are very rarely prescribed in this day and age. VERY rarely. That's dangerous info to spread.

Harmala and harmaline are MAOIs often taken in combination with hallucinogens to increase potency. Gotta be careful though.

Tens of thousands of people trip on SSRIs like Prozac and Zoloft. I reiterate: It's safe as long as you feel your mind is a safe playground. It only lowers the effectiveness of the psilocybin a little.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience