Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHambo
Limey

Loc: UK
too much humidity
    #3229663 - 10/07/04 06:42 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ok the perlites working. Maybe a little too well. I'm pretty sure its near 100%, its misting up in a matter of minutes.. the sides, the seethrough pane i put in the top.

What are the effects of too much humidity with casings again? ATM where the pimply myc is poking through the casing its looking almost crystalline due to tiny water droplets condensing in it. What should I do? if anything?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: too much humidity [Re: Hambo]
    #3229728 - 10/07/04 06:55 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I keep my humidity high. They say its bad for transpiration which helps the shrooms to grow bigger. I do ok..I just try not to mist so much. You have an air pump in there?

If its just perilite then you should be fine, it won't be to much and you would still need to mist.

Either way to get the humidity down, fan more. If you have an air pump you can either take out one wand (if you have two under the water, or even if only one under there) or get a smaller air pump.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineHambo
Limey

Loc: UK
Re: too much humidity [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3229760 - 10/07/04 07:02 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ok thats a releif, but Why would I still need to mist?

You should see it in there. I wiped the top off with a tissue and now 5 minutes later I can barely see through it again?. It is just perlite on its own.

I think I missed something..

--------------------

OfflineWhippersnapper
noobie
    #3229762 - 10/07/04 07:02 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

too much humidity wont hurt cakes either will it? im just letting it go as long as there aren't any drops on the cakes.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: too much humidity [Re: Whippersnapper]
    #3229848 - 10/07/04 07:21 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not sure why you have such buildup like that but condensation is not proportonate to humidity. IMO humidity isn't enough to keep them moist anyway and a light spraying (one hand pump over the casing to let water fall on it 1-3 times a day whenever the substrate looks dry) is generally needed. I've never seen perilite make it so humid you wouldn't have to mist though..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3230821 - 10/07/04 09:41 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
I'm not sure why you have such buildup like that but condensation is not proportonate to humidity. IMO humidity isn't enough to keep them moist anyway and a light spraying (one hand pump over the casing to let water fall on it 1-3 times a day whenever the substrate looks dry) is generally needed. I've never seen perilite make it so humid you wouldn't have to mist though..

So true newbies are often confused to what condensation actually is, condensation is created by the difference in temperatures between the inside and outside. Perlite humidification rarely provides enough humidity by itself, it does stabilize the humidity very well keeping the RH from fluctuating. Anyway GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: too much humidity [Re: hyphae]
    #3230861 - 10/07/04 09:48 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

One more thing... After you fan(yeah, you'll need to fan a lot), you'll be back to ambient RH. Spraying will replenish humidity.

As far as too much humidity... it's not the humidity you should be worried about, it's the condensation. Condensation will breed nasties and cause a havoc if they are on your cakes or casing, thus the drip shield. If you consistently have a problem with condensation, try putting a blanket around your terrarium and adjust your drop shield to at a steeper angle.

GL

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3230877 - 10/07/04 09:52 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hmm, does that suggest my 98% humidity is fine for pinning? I'm misting it currently (myc isn't too far through layer) but I expected to have to take a lot of perlite out once pinning begins to lower the humidity 5% atleast.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: too much humidity [Re: Ayrios]
    #3231071 - 10/07/04 10:27 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Don't take perlite out ever, fan more or put some poly stuffed holes in the lid/sides. Pinsets are increased mainly with Light, temp drop, and plenty of fanning. GL

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3232553 - 10/08/04 10:15 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

He actually shouldn't need to fan alot because of the air pump but I would just because of the condensation. Also you can try coating your chamber in vasoline or rainx which will make bad surfaces for condensation.

The blanket over the chamber seems like a good idea too. Might block light you have going but yeah..

And like Hyphae said, just fan more and throw some holes in there.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3233215 - 10/08/04 01:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I haven't been following Hambos grow from other threads he also made no mention of an air pump and if indeed he has one then he shouldn't have a problem at all. condensation doesn't hurt anything as long as it's not dripping on your cakes/casings IME. Again GL guys

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
    #3233319 - 10/08/04 01:48 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

So true newbies are often confused to what condensation actually is, condensation is created by the difference in temperatures between the inside and outside. Perlite humidification rarely provides enough humidity by itself, it does stabilize the humidity very well keeping the RH from fluctuating. Anyway GL

Good to know!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: too much humidity [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3233638 - 10/08/04 03:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ahh! For some reason I thought he said he did but he said he didn't. Nevermind! Fan lots! 6-8 times a day is good :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleCaptain Cubensis
Bleeding HeartLiberal

#7836620 - 01/05/08 05:43 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
Quote:

scatmanrav said:

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: too much humidity [Re: Captain Cubensis]
    #7838189 - 01/06/08 03:53 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Why bump a 4 year old thread just to quote it?

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: too much humidity [Re: Hambo]
    #7839062 - 01/06/08 12:15 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Please check the dates on threads before replying. Nothing has been added that provided any benefit to our newer members. Thank you for your cooperation.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags