Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBugmenot2
Stranger
Starting up
    #3230059 - 10/07/04 08:14 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I've been reading various methods and it looks like I will be going with this one: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/3372/pag/0

That method does not use a pressure cooker. Is that okay? Has anyone else used this method?

Also, where does everyone get their spore syringe from. It looks like everywhere is in canada. Any American companies. Anyone ever have probs with customs?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: Starting up [Re: Bugmenot2]
    #3230086 - 10/07/04 08:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Look at the sponsors links here at the Shroomery for spore vendors.

That's a good guide. Use the steaming method as it will sterilize PF cakes as well as a pressure cooker.

That said, you WILL buy a PC one day so if money isn't an issue you can make it now...

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #3230090 - 10/07/04 08:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Best place to start.Even better to have a PC(pressure Cooker).

Welcome to the Shroomery :peace:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

OfflineShroomsbrrr
Frequent visitor
 User Gallery
    #3230093 - 10/07/04 08:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Plenty of people have used this tek, and it works fine. You don't need to use a PC, you can simply steam the jars and it should be fine. As for the syringes, check out the shroomery vendors here

http://www.shroomery.org/vendors.php

I'm pretty sure all of them ship to the US except for California, Georgia, and some other state I can't remember.
I'm on my first grow now and ordered from spores101 and had no problems with customs or anything in the mail since the spores aren't illegal.
Hope this helps

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3230097 - 10/07/04 08:20 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Thats correct and the most popular method to start out with. BOiling jars is fine but this is the only substrate that you don't need to sterilize or pasturize.

I order my spores from thelittleguy.com just got 5 new strains for 38 bucks, and 12cc too. Check out any of the Shroomery's Sponsers.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3230134 - 10/07/04 08:24 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I'm using it. With advices from these guys, you can make a whole bunch of changes. And you should.

For instance, cook for 2 hours instead while sterilizing the jars, use a tub in tub(TnT) and maintain 84F instead of letting the jars colonize at 70F, use .5cc per site not .25 or 1cc, use a Poor Man's Pod(PMP) instead of the terrariums mentioned and also use tons of lysol before doing any work.

Tek in good for getting the understanding of basic PF Tek, but stuff in there... Well, you'll want to upgrade eventually. Order some spore and read a lot about colonization on this forum while waiting. If you have questions, you should ask. You'll get an answer back usually within an hour, sometimes even minutes.
Then while the jars are colonizing, read ahead to pinning and fruiting. It'll keep you from looking at the jars so much. Anyways, good luck to you.

Happy growing.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
Re: Starting up [Re: Sam1912]
    #3230179 - 10/07/04 08:30 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I got my spores for TLG (www.thelittleguy.com) the customer service there is amazing and they are very helpful they ship fast and will give it to you free if it doesnt arrive within a week check them out they are the only supplier ill use and there in the U.S.

--------------------
Only God Grows Amanita Muscaria

OfflineBugmenot2
Stranger
Re: Starting up [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3230185 - 10/07/04 08:30 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Wow. Thanks for the quick responses.

Yeah I will be buying a pressure cooker soon. But I really wanted to make the first batch without it.

I'm checking those venders out now for the spore . I don't live in either of those states so I shouldn't run into any problems. It looks like spores 101 is an American company since they use USPS. So far it looks like I'll be ordering from them. I'll check out more though.

Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
    #3230214 - 10/07/04 08:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

TLG uses Priority mail and ships quickly also yes i have no pressure cooker either and i just steam the jars in a large pot for 60-90 minutes and have only had 1 out of 12 jars contamn so far

im also new to this growing but i have 11 jars going right now and they are going strong

--------------------

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3230225 - 10/07/04 08:34 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

One more for TLG. Most vendors ship spores to the US. Use The Little Guy.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Starting up [Re: phantasm]
    #3230247 - 10/07/04 08:36 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

All of them us USPS as far as I know. TLG and ralphsters both offer a free syringe with every order though so you can't really beat that (unless spores 101 does too) and TLG gives you 2 more ccs then anyone else. I know at least both of them use USPS and get here quite quickly.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineBugmenot2
Stranger
    #3230293 - 10/07/04 08:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'm now looking at the little guy too. If I were to order from them which would you suggest, or does it even matter?
1 DD Aussie
1 DD Orissa India
1 DD Transkei
1 DD Brazilian
1 DD South American

If I were to order from spores 101 should I get the 10ML or the 20ML? I was thinking it would be better to get the bigger size, but I'd hate to waste. I'm not planning on mass producing anything.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Starting up [Re: Ayrios]
    #3230307 - 10/07/04 08:41 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Oh, few more advices since you are going off that instruction set.

Use the medium vemiculite, it'll make it easier for you when loading jars. Fine stuff holds more water, but it's harder to know ideal growth spacing for verm first time around. Ignore the part where it says "lightly pack". Simply put, don't even try packing. just tap on the sink a few times to let it settle after you put thow some substrate in the jars.

Sterilize the jars NOW. There are several advantages. You will be able to restart the jars without inoculates when you find your jars not at ideal conditions. Contamination, excess water and being too packed can haunt you later on. If you sterilize the jars now, you can have couple of days to check for these conditions.

Anyways, good luck.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Starting up [Re: Sam1912]
    #3230454 - 10/07/04 09:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

10 ml is plenty. You can make some karo/honey water and just use 2 cc's in it and that's enough for 100 jars. The DD's are a waste though, stick with the regular syringes, they'll look clear but they'll be fine. I ordered the four combo, with OI's, malabars, africans, and another and got amazonians for my free strain. 38 bucks for 5 syringes.

Strain choice is preference. Brazilians are good, very quick colonizing. Potency was so so IMO..all trips havn't been out of control enough. SA and OI are hot strains too! The biggest cubies are OI but SA's I've heard are pretty big too and give nice flushes.

--------------------

Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
    #3230472 - 10/07/04 09:04 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

im growing Golden teacher, Puerto Ricans, Brazilians , and some Allens

i got 2 syringes for free because they messed up my order on some gourmets i bought so they told me they threw in another free syringe

i got brazillians and allens free from TLG

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale