Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineirie420
Stranger

problems w/ fruiting
    #3230067 - 10/07/04 10:15 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

ive been having problemns getting my 3 cakes to fruit
one cake of mine managed to fruit, but the measly 2 shrooms grew from the underside of the cake. i read two different guides, one guide tells me when transferring to the grow chamber i have to TURN THE CAKE upwards where the holes (inoculation sites) were poked in the jar lid. ( the crumbly vermiculite side) and thats where they fruit from. is this true? the whole time. so basically the brown vermiculite side faces upwards, is this true or not?? it would seem so because the shrooms grew from the underside of the jar.. what's the story?
the magic mushroom grow guide v3.0 never sadi anything about flipping the cake over so the vermiculite side was facing upward... but olther guides have.. is this true??? it seems to make sense because the failed cake w/ aborts had them all growing from the underside of the cake.... my humidity reading is high, temp is 78F - what am i doin wrong? i got a perlite layer and a tube running cool mist humidity into the chamber and one of my cakes just grew two shrooms from under the jar lid and started to mold so i trashed it..

basically im asking - am i supposed to flip the cakes over when i remove them from the jars so the brown vermiculite sides are facing up or should they be white side facing up and left as is? this could be why i never saw any fruiting and when i did - the shrooms grew from under the jar lid... ?

thanks, irie420

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: problems w/ fruiting [Re: irie420]
    #3230147 - 10/07/04 10:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The brown side should be up (just how you grew them in the jars) but I doubt this is your problem.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: problems w/ fruiting [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3230228 - 10/07/04 10:34 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Flipping the cake is really just a matter of convenience, since you can tap the cake out of jar.

If the mycelium looks healthy and you don't see knots, go ahead and remove all the pins, sterilize in cold water in the fridge for 12 hours. Make sure your fruiting chamber is around 75F and 90+% humitidy(should feel soggy British day in fall).

If your cakes look bluish in places, your humidity is too low. Go ahead and dunk, and fix the problem with the terrarium while you wait.

Anyways, GL to you.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: problems w/ fruiting [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3230236 - 10/07/04 10:35 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

If there only growing from under the cakes the humidity may be low. Under the cakes theres higher humidity so pins can form under there.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: problems w/ fruiting [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3230353 - 10/07/04 10:48 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'd agree with them. Humidity is high you say? It needs to be 95%+ and you should be misting them cakes like 3 times a day. Cool mist's can actually LOWER the humidity by pumping in fresh air thats humidified to only like 80% into your chamber at 99% with perilite. Add those together and your at only 90%. And if your cool mist does even less then even lower. Lots of misting needed and maybe put the cool mist on a timer, 1 hour on 1 hour off.

Dunking will help but look closly and make sure theres no pins first.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation